Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
First you need some fish...
20190804_095733[1].jpg

Then you need some lacto bacteria...
20190804_100237[1].jpg
20190804_100251[1].jpg

Create culture by blending bacteria with water and sugar...
fish culture.jpg

Now you need a large container to let this 'ferment' in. I used a 275g chemical tote. Add about 75g water and 50lb of sugar...
sugartote.jpg

Stir well until sugar is dissolved, add bacterial culture and stir again...
toteculture.jpg

Add fish (sliced the bellies of most of the large ones from bottom to backbone to prevent bloating, yes this was a lot of work!), cover and wait...
20190804_124842[1].jpg

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
and after you wait then what?

HOPEFULLY Ill end up with a fish hydrolysate fertilizer, solids should settle out and the rest liquefy to a relatively odorless solution... This should be somewhat comparable to the fish emulsion fertilizer you can purchase in stores.

This was done roughly based upon the instructions I found here http://www.ridgedalepermaculture.com/blog/making-fish-hydrolysate

I didnt want to purchase 500lbs of sugar or grind 1500lbs of fish, so results might vary...

Last edited:

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well this should be interesting....make sure to post results:;:smokin

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I bet the smell is fantastic. I recommend doing it in a small town so the whole town can enjoy

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow! Interesting!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

How will the solids get removed?

- - - Updated - - -

Did you get fish from bowfishers or netters?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow! Interesting!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

How will the solids get removed?

- - - Updated - - -

Did you get fish from bowfishers or netters?

solids should settle out, might have to cut tank open to remove them, they will also be good fertilizer in their own right, might be harder to utilize though, who knows, fish bone meal is sold as organic fertilizer. Those tanks are only $25 each, so not a big investment. Fish are from audabon bowfishing tournament this weekend.
S

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know you say the smell is negligible. I can not imagine being downwind from.. this. operation.. . ..

I can smell one carp laying in the sun, from about 100 ft. I can not imagine the odor for this..

"Vomitous" comes to mind.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know you say the smell is negligible. I can not imagine being downwind from.. this. operation.. . ..

I can smell one carp laying in the sun, from about 100 ft. I can not imagine the odor for this..

"Vomitous" comes to mind.

During fermentation there will be some odor I think, once the process completes I think its supposed to subside, well see I guess...
D

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Every cat, coon and skunk within 25 miles will be trying to get in there. Good luck if you try selling that truck anytime soon.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
When a person buries a bunch of fish in the ground - they still rot, but the smell is muted. But the fish are certainly still putrid.

To me it's pretty clear that bacteria in the soil process (break down) the nasty gases (putricene, cadaverine, etc) that are being emitted - and at a rate which keeps up with their production.

That same process likely happens in the tub... nasties are being produced but the biotic swarm in the liquor keep up with the production and break it down into less stinky molecules before it outgasses from the liquor.

- - - Updated - - -

also - I would just buy some nitrogen :D

- - - Updated - - -

also - I'd mount a giant slippery funnel at the mouth of the container - free cat/coon/skunk protein input :;:rockit

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every cat, coon and skunk within 25 miles will be trying to get in there. Good luck if you try selling that truck anytime soon.

was actally considering taking it in for detailing. Red Carpet does a pretty good job...
I

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
So i just remembered that last night on my way home from the lake on HWY 83 I saw a dead carp on the side of the HWY.....it all makes complete sense now haha ;:;rofl

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bet if you put a basket of straw on top of the opening for a bacterial colony to set up shop on you'd hardly smell it (it will function like aquarium gravel or a compost pile)

is this aerobic or anaerobic process?... is it best to seal it off from O2?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
So i just remembered that last night on my way home from the lake on HWY 83 I saw a dead carp on the side of the HWY.....it all makes complete sense now haha ;:;rofl

will neither confirm or deny the possibility that a few fish might have fallen on the highway due to overloading... :;:huh
I

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
In the grand scheme of things, better in Lycan's rural barrels than some garbage dumpsters or strewn about shore somewhere.

Worst case, you load up the "fish-soup" and have a chow-truck for the shore-fisher-people on Devils Lake.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
;:;barf

I'm guessing you are gonna have a hell of a stinky messy goo in a month. What do you plan on doing with this goo and how do you plan on getting it out of the container?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 55