baitcaster line...

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i've got a baitcaster set up with 30# spiderwire stealth for casting 3/4 to 2oz baits - works fantastic... i bought a lighter (medium) rod and put the same pflueger reel on it with 10# spiderwire stealth, and am snapping off jigs on the cast...

so, to the guys that cast or pitch with a baitcaster, what line or weight of line do you use??? trying to figure out if i need to go heavier or loosen up the reel a bit more...

thanks...

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
15lb PowerPro works well on baitcasters. I prefer the Super 8 Slick to eliminate guide noise.

Skullet

Established Member
Interesting post: I’m working on trying to figure out how to run one of these things. Is learning with heavy mono easier than a braid?

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am a PP guy; but question why any braid would break off on the cast. Do you have a knick in a ceramic eyelet that is cutting the line on the cast? Rub a cotton ball on all of your eyelets and see if there is a spot that catches a bunch of the cotton ball.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am a PP guy; but question why any braid would break off on the cast. Do you have a knick in a ceramic eyelet that is cutting the line on the cast? Rub a cotton ball on all of your eyelets and see if there is a spot that catches a bunch of the cotton ball.

I am sure they are referring to the knot becomes frayed at the point where it is tied to lure or whatever. We're all guilty of leaving those and not retying them. Same with mono or any other line.

- - - Updated - - -

Ps I am a pp guy

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting post: I’m working on trying to figure out how to run one of these things. Is learning with heavy mono easier than a braid?
A little larger diameter line tends to come off the spool easier or at least in my opinion it does. The lightest line I have on any of mine is 25-30# braid, I would think something in the 17# mono would work too (I did 17# Flouro when I started and made a mess). Also a trick I use is run off about 100-150ft of line and put a piece of electrical tape on the spool then rewind the line back on, this way when you loose control and start bird nesting the tape stops it from digging deeper.

For the OP-what about knot choice? I use Palomer Knots with all my braid. I also agree with a couple of the potential ideas of Aaron and Short to check out.

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would say that if you are casting off lures, the line is bad, or your knot is tied incorrectly. I am guessing it is not your knot if you are not having problems with your other set ups. Either old line, or frayed from overuse unless like AaronJ mentioned you have something causing abrasion that is leading to the break offs.

I do not cast much with my baitcasters, but on my spinning gear I usually run 10# fireline and throw up to 1 oz jigs without any problems.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
raider my friend....you putting too much muscle into your casting dude...lay off on the weight lifting...no need to cast it a mile out....just saying ;)

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't played with it much but though that going lighter would increase casting distance with lighter jigs... I'm breaking off right at the end of the cast when I start to increase thumb pressure to avoid a mess. I'm just kinda shocked they are breaking like they are. I'm thinking maybe going up to 15# and trying that.

Maybe I'm wrong about casting distance with a heavier line.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Suffix 832 20lb, and check all your eyelets for nicks, chips, or cracks.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its breaking near the jig... its really weird as I have been using the same line on baitcasters for 25 years. i run 8# on baitcasters for my trolling rods and break off 17# flouro snells all the time.

Will i suffer casting distance going up to 20#?

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just don’t think the line rating is the issue here. Something else seems wrong. I often use 12 lb mono and have never had an issue like that. I use a baitcaster for medium sized swimbait a lot.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its breaking near the jig... its really weird as I have been using the same line on baitcasters for 25 years. i run 8# on baitcasters for my trolling rods and break off 17# flouro snells all the time.

Will i suffer casting distance going up to 20#?

I would change line --- PP makes more than the old green holding water line --- they make a smooth as silk line too. For casting jigs i would think that would more of a huckleberry. Its going to fray more imo so you have to retie more often.

Spidy wire and Berkley fireline -- when i was fishing bass and they first came out - they sucked imo -- fire line was the worst for breaking due to fray. Fray was caused from the knot bumbing up agains reeds, catttails, ka-bumba, trees, pads, dock posts you name it. Worm fishing those lines were even worse as your texas rigged weight would rub the color out of line till it was white and then one quick bump you snapped off. -- everybody used em -- but you learned to re-tie often. PP eliminated the re-tie -- and to be honest i never went back to anything else. I am sure all of them have improved greatly. Mono your knot would crack or get cut but it took a lot of casting and mono had a bell curve - it actually got better then worse before you had to re-tie. good fishing Short

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74