RV roof winter maintenance.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
What does everyone use for a roof conditioner/coating before putting your camper up for the winter? Also, what other little tricks have some of you seasoned camper winterizer guys gleaned over the years, aside from the basics?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mouse traps or poison is always good idea. They make a white cool seal product you can brush on the seam areas for extra moisture protection as well.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’d shy away from poison, especially the pellet type. Poison is a form of bait/food/attractant for vermin. Having a mouse eat poison, crawl in a small space and die is no good. Pellet poison is the worst, because mice can easily transport the pellets to their home prior to eating.

Im a believer in “Fresh Cab.” I had a mouse problem twice in my pickup. They were setting up shop on top of the cab air filter. Since then, I’ve placed a fresh cab pouch in my glove box and I haven’t had a mouse since.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
My understanding of rat poison in general was that the effected animal feels hot and seeks outside to cool off and thus dies not in your wall but outside somewhere. Have I been bamboozeled?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thirsty, not hot.

I like to use mothballs, but those SOB are really smelly. If you use them to keep the mice away, and they REALLY do work, I suggest placing them on a small piece of cardboard to absorb the liquid phase of the smelly stuff. They will really absorb into anything capable of holding a smell. I also use traps and glueboards. I've found some mice are suckers for one killer and maybe not some of the other forms of death I try to impose on them.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve had good luck in the cabin with bounce dryer sheets. Put them all over the place

- - - Updated - - -

Another trick is put out a deeper pan with rv antifreeze in it and set a little ramp of some kind up to the top do they can get up and dive in for a drink.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
My understanding of rat poison in general was that the effected animal feels hot and seeks outside to cool off and thus dies not in your wall but outside somewhere. Have I been bamboozeled?

The stuff the pros get their hands on is good stuff. They don’t make it 10’ from the station before taking a dirt nap.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have had good luck with dryer sheets, put everywhere and make dam sure no food stuff anywhere.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the advice on vermin. I like the 5gallon antifreeze trap idea and sounds like dryer sheets are the ticket. Do none of you guys do anything with your roof? I just feel like the rubber/canvas whatever it is membrane could use some lube or UV protectant being in the element all year. Or is that more of a spring deal? Lube it up right before you use it instead of lubing it up and letting it sit in the cold.....

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only thing I have done to my camper roof is wash it once or twice a year. When I wash it I do notice little white specks that are laying in the driveway after I wash it. Maybe I should be treating it with something. :;:huh I pay to store mine inside at the fair grounds from the middle of September until the middle of April, which helps keep things from getting faded and weather checked.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
We empty ALL food and all paper products. Additionally we take all of the pillows and bedding out as well. If you have a toaster either take it out or at least empty the little crumb catcher under it.

When you're ready to store your camper, clean it well, with strong scented cleaners. Best way to keep them outs is for them not to smell food, bedding, or each other.

I use a combination of Fresh Cab, lots of dryer sheets, and steel wool stuffed into anything they might crawl into like the intake for the heater etc.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
my wife spends like i swear a $150 on mouse proofing the camper. -- i went under and made sure no underbelly areas had access. My camper is supposedly suppose to be cold weather (what a joke). the underbelly material basically layed ont he frame in places and was only connected every two three feet. I sealed that everyplace. I also have a place all summer away from the trailer that i have traps set - that imo decimates any creature from getting to close in the first place. The heaters --- i see SDMF said plug those - and yes i know a guy in MNtucky that had a chip monk f up his heater. I dont know how that little bstrd could fit but he did.

Anyway i bought some type of screen for those that is on permanently.

Cab fresh, certain type of bar soap, electric buzzers she has all the ammo --- so far so good.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Isn't mouse-proofing a camper kind of a fool's errand?

One of the easiest places for them to gain access is right up the front jacks on a fifth wheeler. They lead right into the front storage on mine and I know darn well mice can climb those jacks.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 70