Archery Mule Deer

cpete00

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I have an opportunity to go on an opening weekend Mule Deer hunt out west this year and am pretty pumped about it. I've never hunted mule deer before with bow or rifle and have been reading any articles I can find to hopefully avoid looking like a fool out there. Does anybody have any last minute tips or advice that they would be willing to share?

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you see someone putting the sneak on a deer, give them space and dont be "that" guy and intentionally scare the deer.. Good Luck & Have Fun

HammsRMK

Honored Member
Lots of eye glass time, Its a big area out there. Make sure you are up and in position to glass at day break when they are moving. When you find an animal take your time getting there. Hope you are comfortable with longer shots. Have tired it a few times and its tough, but that's half the fun. Enjoy the views and good luck.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
On cooler mornings you will tend to see the mule deer on east or south facing slopes. As the day wears on and heats up, start concentrating more on the shaded slopes.

Mule deer are peculiar critters. I've watched them bed down only for me to get there after an hour long sneak to find an empty bed. They are curious critters as well. Just because one jumps up, don't be a bit surprised if it stops after about 30 yards, spins around and gives you a broadside as he tries to figure out your intent. I've missed a couple of arrow flinging opportunities by not being ready for them to stop well within range and give me a split second to pull off a very makeable shot. So as soon as one takes off, get to full draw.

Their eyes and ears are second to none. I've been in full camo at over a half mile away and had an entire herd of mulies giving me the staredown. They aren't so much dumb as they can be curious.

TripleSK

Established Member
Glass every shadow later in the day. Morning you should be able to glass the morning movement.

duckman1302

Founding Member
Founding Member
As someone above stated, get ready to spend a lot of time behind glass. You need to spot them before they spot you. Look at the ground before you sit/kneel in cactus.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
If or when you spot one you want to go after, take time to make a plan for the sneak. Pay attention to wind, topography and the physical exertion it will take. Nothing like getting close after a good stalk and not able to hold steady cause you are breathing hard. Use patience and enjoy the experience. It's such a special place to hunt.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keep below hilltops when hiking. Skylining yourself blows your chances and the chances of anyone else within 3 miles

emerald

Established Member
bring money or whiskey to hunt,or both, dont say your whereabouts, just kidding, do as the other romans do, have fun,alotta deer this year

PAIN

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keep below hilltops when hiking. Skylining yourself blows your chances and the chances of anyone else within 3 miles

This is the number one mistake I see most hunters make. Make sure you are well below the skyline and walk SLOW.

Don't be afraid to sit well in to the morning and start sitting a few hours before sunset. You will see more deer sitting than walking. If you aren't seeing much, move locations the next morning or that evening. Don't move after not seeing anything for an hour and expect to strike gold.

The other major mistake I see/hear is when hunters "whisper". Drives me nuts! Sound carries incredibly well out there, so don't talk unless absolutely necessary.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
They will bed and then get up again and move a little and bed then about the third time they will bed longer plan your stalk at that time

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s that easy?

The watching and planning the stalk isn’t hard it’s the getting close and finishing it I can’t help with.

- - - Updated - - -

Might be why I like rifle hunting way more than bow hunting

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
my problem always been how ridiculously different everything looks from the stalking viewpoint compared to when I was glassing

and I have always had what seems like pretty decent 3D orientation instincts

- - - Updated - - -

even when there was a unique tree or bush to serve as a decent landmark

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57