Towing question

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
Looking to get a truck. The reasons, hunting, towing a boat/pontoon, and towing a smaller camper (under 20 feet, bumper). I have been looking at Nissan Frontier, or Toyota Tacoma. I like the smaller trucks for the ease of fitting in the garage, and MPG. I dont plan on having to tow a lot and know that the the previously listed can tow about 7000 lbs, seems like enough for in town living.

Lets hear your input

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
I wouldn't want to tow anything with either of those pickups. If you are planning on pulling a boat and small camper I'd go at least 1/2 ton.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Garage space makes sense. Fuel efficiency does not. Tacomas and Frontiers in a 6 cylinder get only slightly better mileage than the average full size unloaded. Start towing anything and the small truck mileage plummets. Take it from a former small truck tower of boats

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
HALF-TON! More room, way more capacity, basically same gas mileage, same price. To me the smaller trucks are all sacrifice and no advantage. If your only hobbies are Mtn biking, fly fishing and drinking craft beer then the Tacoma is for you. For anything else get the half ton.

Last edited:

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
I don't think you would be happy towing what you mentioned with either of those pickups depending on how heavy your trailers are. I suggest a half-ton.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
a pontoon or boat --- no issues with a toy 4 runner

Keep in mind -- wifes vehicle is used on boat 100% --- why because she can back it up alot easier then my f150.

MPG - forget that -- they both burn gas towing the boat. the Toyota is worse than the truck.

Getting out of bad situations - the toy wins.

PAIN

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just recently traded in my Tacoma for a Tundra. Had the Tacoma for 12 years and was an excellent rig. I loved the maneuverability. Gas mileage was just OK, not better than most half tons. If I could fit 3 car seat seats in the backseat, I would have went with another Tacoma. I did all you mentioned above with no problem. I pulled an 18' boat a handful of times per year and a 16' camper the same. If the above is all you plan to do, then you will be fine. Like others said, if you plan to use is frequently to tow(weekly) then I would jump up to the half ton.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Pulling the boat the wifes ranger gets the same milage my F150 does.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Smaller pickups do parking in garages better and pretty much everything else worse. Even mileage in many cases.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Solution: Have 2 pickups. Get a good used 1/2 ton. I have early 2000 pickup I use for everyday bumming around and hunting. From time to time I will drive around my 2008 GMC 2500HD, which I bought from a guy mainly to pull my 5th camper, my 19' fiberglass boat or pull them in tandem.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Solution: Have 2 pickups. Get a good used 1/2 ton. I have early 2000 pickup I use for everyday bumming around and hunting. From time to time I will drive around my 2008 GMC 2500HD, which I bought from a guy mainly to pull my 5th camper, my 19' fiberglass boat or pull them in tandem.
borat.gif

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
I imagine I wont be pulling every weekend, likely a few times for each thing a year and relatively short dissonances. The Kia just cant handle pulling otherwise I would just stick with that. I have 3 kids but they range from 7-10 so they should fit in back just fine. When I was referring to gas mileage it was unloaded driving, not pulling. I really only drive around 5,000 miles on my personal rig a year so not sure how much gas mileage matters.

I have a 13 F150 for work and thing really eats the gas, havent figured it out but guessing 15 or so on the highway. My neighbor pulls a 18 foot enclosed trailer all over with his frontier loaded with 5000 lbs and said he hardly feels it back there.

Correct me if i'm wrong, Frontier and Tacoma pull about 7000 lbs and half tons pull 9-10,000?

JB_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went from a Nissan Frontier to a F150. Fuel mileage driving around town the frontier did 1 maybe 2 mpg better, pulling any trailer the frontier was worse. The frontier pulled the boat ok, but if a deer or anything jumped out in front of me it didn't have the stopping power. Save yourself the trouble & just get the 1/2 ton right away.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
wind alone on an 18’ enclosed makes sure you know it’s there - even in a half ton

Last edited:

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have said before how most pickups will pull a load and probably pull it fairly well. But when things go south and your light 1/4 or 1/2 ton tries to stop quick in a short distance or the load really starts swaying you will be glad you bought a 3/4 - 1 ton pickup. Too many are pulling loads way over what safe towing is.
If you get in a wreck with an overloaded load and the other persons attorney digs deep and finds that out, you will wish you never hooked up to that trailer.
Just my 2 cents.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Spend the extra money and get a 1/2 Ton. Even if it's only used to pull a few times a year it'll be worth it. Don't think of your kids in a Tacoma or Frontier between the ages of 7-10, think of them crunched in the back at the ages of 13-17.... I've sat in the back of a Tacoma and was hunched over the entire time. I've made the mistake of going thru a variety of vehicles the last 10 years (Tundra DC, Honda Pilot, Nissan Armada, Ram 2500, Tundra CM)..... it's not worth hassle or money of selling or trading constantly. Get the truck you like that works for your family for the next 10 years.... it only took me 7 to figure it out!

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Drive 1/2 ton for work and got a 2004 3/4 diesel for pulling and my other personal use, wife has a Mazda CX5. I often think about would it be worth it to go with another truck and what kind of a 1/2 ton then I find myself looking at 3/4 ton gasser for a backup puller if nothing else just to ease the winter use on my diesel and still have the capability and comfort when pulling larger trailer loads. Could a 1/2 work for what I want-yes, would a 3/4 just be a little more stable and am I paying that much more (am I getting value out of a little higher price tag) I think I might.
My vote goes to a minimum of 1/2 ton.

nybs

Honored Member
It must be groundhogs day...I read this and feel like I read almost identical post and responses a few months ago...I even scrolled back up to the top to make sure it wasn’t an old one;). Good stuff...wonder if I had same useless banter last time around?

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't speak to the Tacoma, but I have a Nissan Pathfinder, which is the same everything, as the Frontier. It's fine pulling a 18ft glass boat with a 150. While it will do the trick, I certainly wouldn't want to make any sudden stops or lane changes.

My wife drives a 4Runner, which should be the same as the Tacoma. It's fine. Not great, but fine.

I also have a 1/2 ton Sierra, and it pulls far better, is more comfortable, and the mileage is no worse. The Pathfinder and 4Runner both have 5.7 and 5.6 V8's, and they're both terrible for MPG.

Regarding garage space, the Sierra does take quite a bit more room in both width, and length.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
my question is when you see that f350 in the parking lot -- no fifth in the box and an empty paint still on it slot for the receiver and the box isnt all scratched up. It makes you wonder

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75