Montana mule deer

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm going on my first mule deer hunt in November. I'm looking for what you guys think is necessary to have in a pack for day hunts.

I have optics, guns, kill kit, first aid, and a few emergency supplies on the list as well as a few comfort items such as wet wipes for when mother nature calls or cleanup after field dressing,a pad to sit on while glassing. I'm thinking of adding trekking poles to my list as well.

This will be strictly day hunts so overnight gear isn't needed

Also what are your thoughts on kifaru gun bearer. I'm thinking of ordering one to see what I think of it.

Thanks in advance.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The gun bearer is the best way I have ever carried my gun. Looks like your well covered

- - - Updated - - -

Snacks and water

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Space blanket and small roll of duct tape cause you never know. Montana weather can be just like ND weather.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems like you have most covered. Gun bearer would be a good addition. hard plastic bottle and holder on the pack belt comes in handy. Doesn't require you to remove pack to drink and the hard plastic (nalgene) is a lot quieter than the crinkly disposable bottles. Water bladders can be great, but you might be pushing line freeze up in November in Montana.

Im not familiar with the area but it seems like most private tracts in Montana have ranch roads all over their land, connecting the dots from one water tank to the next. How far do you plan to venture from the pickup? Just be realistic on what is needed for supplies. Keeping the pack as light as possible will make things more enjoyable. On day hunts where the risk of being lost or stuck out in the wildness is low don't pack around 3 days of water or food and keep the first aid kit simple and light. Will you always be with others? That reduces the risks one can encounter a bit more.

Now if its a solo hunt and you are planning to get 4-7 miles from pickup or trailhead, you probably should haul around a bit more emergency supplies and extra water and food.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have tried a few different rifle carry options and the Gun Bearer is what i use. At first i didnt like it in my arm pit with the barrel in front, but i got used to it and enjoy the convenience of that set up now.

nybs

Honored Member
If you’re going to walk in and glass or sit for a good part of the day you want an extra layer or two..when I hunted there in November several years ago it was in the 50s first day then we got a blizzard that night. I wore my insulated pants on top every day after that....not good for walking but great for sitting a few hours. Also - I always have headlamp with...not sure if that’s in your kit or not but move to have.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Puffy jacket/pants if you're going to do long glassing sits.

Small roll of tape that works in the cold, 3M Super 33+ electrical tape is a good choice, cheap and brittle electrical tape is not.

Some manner of starting a fire. I realize you're day hunting, but, things happen. Knees/ankles get twisted, etc. A way to start a fire is cheap, light, and easy to haul.

A few zip ties are also a good idea. They can temporarily fix a lot of stuff. Again, light, don't take up much room, and exceptionally handy when you need one. You can fix any manner of fastener (buckle, buttons, straps, etc). In a pinch you could zip-tie a boot shut, your pants shut. Fix a rifle sling. Hold a pack shut or fix a pack strap. In a pinch, you could zip-tie a carcass in place in steep country which might be handy if you're working on one alone.

Optics cleaning cloth in a zip-lock. Don't use it for anything else. Put it back in the ziplock to keep it dry and clean.

Compass. They work even when a GPS or phone won't. Gray flat-light days can really turn a person around, even in familiar territory.

Flashlight/headlamp. Low-light is the time of day you're most likely to kill something. No sense in trying to gut/skin/quarter by feel alone.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some good advice on here so far. I would absolutely recommend the gun bearer as well. That thing rocks. I'd get trekking poles as well. When making hikes in the morning or evening, they are great. Or even at times throughout the day.

As nybs and SDMF alluded to, bring some extra layers. Depending on how far you'll be hunting from the truck, you really need to layer clothes as opposed to just bundling up with everything on. When I hike in the dark in the mornings, I can dang near be down to my base layer or second layer but then when glassing, I'll have 4-5 layers on.

Might want to think about some merino base layers if you don't have any. I love my stuff from First Lite.

Check out the gutless method as well. Not sure if you plan on being able to drive up to your deer and throw it in the truck but if not, the gutless method is the best way to go.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gutless if you have to pack/drag. On private, you can drive an ATV or pickup anywhere you want to retrieve, assuming landowner allows it.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are some good high energy snack to throw in a pack for the day.

There will be 5 of us hunting so we will split up some of the gear to keep packs light as possible. Probably won't be getting more than 2 or 3 miles from the pickup but depending the area we may park one pickup and work towards the 2nd. Will also have tow straps and what not in the pickup

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It's almost like you've done this before? (GRIN)
Puffy jacket/pants if you're going to do long glassing sits.

Small roll of tape that works in the cold, 3M Super 33+ electrical tape is a good choice, cheap and brittle electrical tape is not.

Some manner of starting a fire. I realize you're day hunting, but, things happen. Knees/ankles get twisted, etc. A way to start a fire is cheap, light, and easy to haul.

A few zip ties are also a good idea. They can temporarily fix a lot of stuff. Again, light, don't take up much room, and exceptionally handy when you need one. You can fix any manner of fastener (buckle, buttons, straps, etc). In a pinch you could zip-tie a boot shut, your pants shut. Fix a rifle sling. Hold a pack shut or fix a pack strap. In a pinch, you could zip-tie a carcass in place in steep country which might be handy if you're working on one alone.

Optics cleaning cloth in a zip-lock. Don't use it for anything else. Put it back in the ziplock to keep it dry and clean.

Compass. They work even when a GPS or phone won't. Gray flat-light days can really turn a person around, even in familiar territory.

Flashlight/headlamp. Low-light is the time of day you're most likely to kill something. No sense in trying to gut/skin/quarter by feel alone.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are some good high energy snack to throw in a pack for the day.

There will be 5 of us hunting so we will split up some of the gear to keep packs light as possible. Probably won't be getting more than 2 or 3 miles from the pickup but depending the area we may park one pickup and work towards the 2nd. Will also have tow straps and what not in the pickup

Your tow straps comment brought up another thought. A little rain can make the roads out there be as slick as ice. It packs into the treads and will send your pickup in whatever direction the slope is going. Will push you in the ditch just by the slope of the road crown. A level ground 2 track turns into the equivalent of a railroad track where you cant even turn out of the depressed tracks.

A set of chains for your tires would be good (if landowner allows).

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74