One ear hearing protect?

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I've heard a theory that your gun-facing ear takes a lot more brunt of the damage than the ear on the other side of your head.

I have electronic ear muffs, but I hate wearing them. Even though they are low profile, I find my cheek stays too high off the stock and my shooting suffers. I also can't afford an expensive in-ear electronic hearing protection.

Has anyone just stuck one foam plug in their ear and left the other open? This is assuming you're not hunting with others and have a gunner on both side.

I can't stand not being able to hear when I hunt, which is why I see this as a compromise of sorts.

Anyone do this? Or have other suggestions?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't shoot enough when hunting to worry about hearing protection. That being said, I did pick up some electronic hearing protection ear muffs last year. I kinda liked them when sitting in the blind as I could use them as sound magnifiers and directional sonar for hearing deer movement in the draw below me.

Perhaps you could try some of the Walker Game Ear products, they aren't that expensive when you compare them to hearing aids.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075MRQ45X/?tag=nodakangler10-20

Note, I wear hearing protection when I'm with others and they are doing the shooting. I swear though, I rarely hear the blast from my own guns as I'm focused on making the shot.

Last edited:

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Actually yes, I have done this. Bought a new shotgun a few years ago. Now prior to this I never used hearing protection(probably should have), but this new gun would ring the crap out of my left ear(I shoot right handed). I'm guessing due to the shorter barrel the new gun had. Long story short, I started putting one foam plug in my left ear. No more problems when shooting. The ringing in my left ear was gone and could still hear while walking for birds.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Only times I’ve had my ears ring hunting is waterfowl hunting with others and when dirtymike went Rambo on a coyote with his AR. I rarely even notice recoil. Crazy what the mind can do to the body with just a bit of adrenaline added. Sorry, I am of no help

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but accuracy counts. I have one WT buck tag and one Any Antelope tag this year.

I'm reasonably optimistic that's only twice I will have to hear my rifles bark without hearing protection. Ok, ok...so maybe 3 times.

As far as birds, once again I am just not seeing much around the place. So maybe I'll get 15 shots off at pheasants this fall. Which isn't much compared to the 1,000 rounds of trap and sporting clays I've shot this summer with hearing protection.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
41ifuhXdMgL.jpg

[h=1]SureFire EP7 Sonic Defenders Ultra filtered Earplugs w/ Comply Canal Tips, reusable[/h]
$15-$20

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only times I’ve had my ears ring hunting is waterfowl hunting with others and when dirtymike went Rambo on a coyote with his AR. I rarely even notice recoil. Crazy what the mind can do to the body with just a bit of adrenaline added. Sorry, I am of no help

Hah hah, I've probably had my ears rung way more times while waterfowling than anything else. But I have this friend with a 300 Win Mag that I used to hunt with, SOB if that thing wasn't loud. He left my ears ringing a time or two!

BotnoJoe

Founding Member
Founding Member
i like soundgear made by starkey. You can buy them individually if you only want one ear covered. They amplify quiet noises and reduce loud noises like gun shots. I did not get the custom fit and have no issues. The starkey batteries do not last long but 3rd party batteries work well.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member

Same, until I bought a Benelli 12ga with a 21” tube. Not one of my greatest ideas. I do have a 20ga pump with a 21” tube that doesn’t bother me.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
We picked up a couple of these from Amazon that we use when we shoot pistols as i can't hunt anymore.
Would think they would be good for sitting in a stand as they sure magnify the sounds around you..

[h=1]Walker's Razor Slim Electronic Muff[/h]
Thinking we will buy a few sets of these in different colors to give as Christmas gifts to the kids and friends.

Last edited:

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I should clarify that I'm mostly talking waterfowl hunting. 12 gauge magnum loads are loud, and seem more so amplified off water or walls of cattails.

It's nothing for me to go through a box-plus of shells just getting my six ducks (hey, it takes a while to get the rust off!). So 30-40 shots in a single morning can do a number. I'm thinking long-term, too. I realize I may not think it's that loud at the moment, but I've been around enough lifelong hunters to know the "huhs" and "whats" of a conversation get annoying real quick.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
what about the guy that stands next to you within a foot of my ear (maybe a little exaggeration) with his 300 ultra and fires a shot off ---one shot took 100 rock concerts out of my ear.

Or the little roofs at the firing range - yep i like the no direct sun - - but that day you forgot to pull up your ear protection in time - nope

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
years ago I had a sxs shotgun chamber blow up wilst shooting the blast perferating my left ear drum throwing off my balance,doc said equal balanence needed from ears to maintain correct balance so fast forward today ear was fixed years ago,very painful fix hearing is selective around certain people,shoot alot (10k rds per summer) (shotgun mostly) had a ear doc fit custom plugs via foam injection then made soft rubber plugs from molded ones,fit perfectly in ear channel ,muffels sharp sound but can carry on conversations just fine w/o yelling or saying "Huh all the time. walk the line at any trap range most shooters yell conversations even w/o muffs on,every other word is "what" or "huh" drives me crazier...

Last edited:

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every audiologist will tell you the same thing. One shot is all it takes to ruin your hearing. I totally ruined my hearing at the range.

Now I turn my hearing aids as low as they can go on the noise level.

Sooner or later most of us will have hearing problems.

My older Brittany and I can’t hear shit. It’s just part of the territory.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 55