Silverado 6.0 Engine for towing

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 2005 Silverado 2500HD SB with the 6.0 but it is a gutless wonder. I bought a 26' 5th wheel camper that weighs about 8250# loaded and plan to tow my 16' Lund Tyee (about 1700#) behind it with the Chevy but there is no way that rig will be able to handle that job. I've talked to people with the 6.0L engine and nearly everyone says it should handle that load with no problem. The guy I bought it from used it to pull a 5th wheel camper too and sold it because he had the same problem. I didn't have my camper at the time and figured it would work for what I needed then but now I need the power and it isn't there. Local mechanic says the pickup is running fine and there is nothing he can do to get more power. Mileage is 10-11 empty and 7-9 towing which sounds pretty normal from what I've heard. Mechanic says chipping a gasser is a waste of money so I'm not doing that. I was thinking of switching to a little newer F350 with a 6.2 gasser but HP rating is nearly the same as the 6.0. Torque on the Ford is somewhat higher but I don't know what effect that would have. I'm driving a 2015 F350 with a 6.2 now for work and it seems to have way more get up and go than my 6.0 and it will come up for sale pretty soon and I'm thinking of trying to get it if there will be a noticeable difference. Anyone got any opinions on the swap or suggestions on why my 6.0 is such a dog. Oh, I did take off the 285 tires and replace them with the recommended 245's and that made a little difference but not enough for what I need.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have an 02 3/4 ton with the 6.0 and that thing jerks shit around like its not even there. I used it to pull my camper all over when i was on the road and never even worried about the wind

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The ford 6.2 gasser is a turd for towing. My 1/2 ton with a 3.5 eco pulls my buddies 21' nitro way better than his 3/4 ton with the 6.2 gas. If I was pulling what you plan to pull I'd go diesel.

3tt3v

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 16 gmc 2500 with the 6.0. Great rig. 29 ft fifth wheel and a 619 vs behind. Pulls great just not much for milage. 7 to 8.5 but who cares when you are headed fishing.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is something wrong with it. Probably gear ratio.

6.0's pull good.

1850reata

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 2015 Chevy 6.0 pulling a 29ft fifth wheel and my 1850 reata. Only time I have been nervous was when we had a 25mph crosswind and the tail was waggin'. I drive like an ole man so power hasn't seemed to ever be an issue.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree, I'd be checking the gear ratio. That truck should have zero problems pulling your setup. It shouldn't be too bad to have someone swap out your gears, just remember it has to be done on both the rear diff and the front diff(I assume its 4wd). If you look at the build code and post the code for the rear end I can tell you what you have for a rear end, I'm guessing it's probably a GT4 RPO code if it doesn't pull worth a crap. GT4 means you have a 3.73 gear ratio, for pulling your going to want the 4.10 gearing which is represented by a GT5 RPO code.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I pull my 32’ fifth wheeler with 3 slides and a 17.7 Warrior behind that with a 2010 HD2500 crew-cab Silverado with a 6.0 gasser in it, at 60 to 70 mph with very little issues. Hills and wind do make a little difference but not much. I will see if i can find out what gears i have in it and let you know.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The GM 6.0 got the mileage of an 8.1 with the power of a 5.3. I've never been impressed by them. Those that think they pull stuff around effortlessly need to get out and see what else is out there. Sometimes it comes down to expectations. Are you alright with loosing 5mph and downshifting up each hill or do you want to be able to accelerate up the hill in OD? If the answer is the later, then you best go diesel.

Gears indeed do make a difference, I have 4.56's behind my old V10 which is night and day from the stock 3.73's. since I run a slightly oversized tires, it equates to the factory optioned 4.30's which worked well for many. there was a reason Ford quit installing 3.73s with the V10s back in 05' and made 4.10s the mandatory offering and had an option box for 4.30s. GM unfortunately never went any deeper than 4.10s and had lesser torque to begin with so it only compounded the issue.

Unless your going brand new and get get into the new crop of big CI gasser's, such as the new GM 6.6, the new ford 7.3 or the Ram 6.4 with the 8 speed, your best bet on the gas side is the Ford 6.2. It put power down better than both the GM and Ram in side by side comparisons.

Trucktrend did a comparison a few years ago which was pretty decent, note the gear ratios because all was not quite apple to apple; the Gm and Ram had 4.10's while the ford had 3.73s and the Nissan with 3.36.
https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2017/03/2017-34-ton-work-truck-challenge-track-testing.html

I believe TFL truck has ran some Ike Gauntlet tests with the three also. IT's been note several times that although the ram and ford put down comparable numbers, the 6-speed in the ram is really inefficient and has a tall second gear which handicaps it pretty bad. I've read that the new one coupled with the 8-speed is much better. good luck.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
As stated above its realitive to your gear ratio,if your not sure what the truck has check the glove box ,you'll find a list in 3 digit code what your rig has.,trucks with over 8500lb GVW won't have mpg's rating,rather considered stump pullers in the HD trucks,I suggest installing a programer,check online for "hyper tech"
programer for GM gas engines (3) settings,easy to download into your PCM moduel,level (3) is for torq and hp up to 100hp if my memory is right.and yes GM was behind the 8ball on power,E.P.A was on GM like a duck on a june bug because of over all fuel economy through out they're product line.Its true whats stated about the all new 2020 HD trucks phased out the 6lit hello 6.6 gasser 401hp HD trucks are completely re-designed,they sit 2"s higher in ground clearence,box is 2"s longer.down side is std gears on the 2500HD I looked at are 3.42 gears no more 4.10's(yet).power and pulling effincence can't beat the 6.6lit duramx diesel,just stay away from 2001/02 models internal injectors) if they need replacing....boooookooo bucks to redo/replace,not so with newer models (external injectors)

goodluck which ever way you go.

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
Something to keep in mind when comparing GM 6.0's is what generation it is. I don't recall what year it was (2010?) when the 6.0 power output was increased in the GM HD trucks. The early generations were 300 HP/360 TQ while the later generation was 360 HP/380 TQ. That 60 HP increase is pretty significant. If the OP's truck is a 2005, I would assume it would be the earlier generation with less horsepower.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree, I'd be checking the gear ratio. That truck should have zero problems pulling your setup. It shouldn't be too bad to have someone swap out your gears, just remember it has to be done on both the rear diff and the front diff(I assume its 4wd). If you look at the build code and post the code for the rear end I can tell you what you have for a rear end, I'm guessing it's probably a GT4 RPO code if it doesn't pull worth a crap. GT4 means you have a 3.73 gear ratio, for pulling your going to want the 4.10 gearing which is represented by a GT5 RPO code.

Thanks for all the information guys. I'm not sure where to find the build code but the VIN is: 1GCHK29U15E181005. There is a replacement parts code list of about 50 numbers in the glove box and I think I saw GT5 listed but I'm not certain. Where would I find the build code? All I know is I have to run in 3rd gear if I'm pulling any kind of load and it still pulls down to 40 going up the hill west out of Mandan. That's with a bumper pull deck over trailer and my 706 tractor. That load would be a little over 10,000# which is about what I think my 5th wheel and boat will be. I don't want to end up doing 40 mph going up every hill on the way to the camp ground especially if its a couple hundred miles away west of here. If I went from a GT4 to a GT5 what kind of hit would my mileage take? I guess I'm not all that concerned about mileage if I have the power but that damn gas tank is only 26 gal. so I can't get far from town unless I carry a couple of extra gas cans with me.

- - - Updated - - -

Something to keep in mind when comparing GM 6.0's is what generation it is. I don't recall what year it was (2010?) when the 6.0 power output was increased in the GM HD trucks. The early generations were 300 HP/360 TQ while the later generation was 360 HP/380 TQ. That 60 HP increase is pretty significant. If the OP's truck is a 2005, I would assume it would be the earlier generation with less horsepower.

Did a little investigating and my 2005 is the 300/360 version. I'm assuming the people who told me their 6.0's would pull a house off its foundation had the 360/380 versions. That would be like comparing apples and oranges. Guess I will need to update to a newer version 6.0 or go to the Ford 6.2. Damn, that's why I bought a small 5th wheel camper. Might as well have got a decent sized one if I was going to get a different truck.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
that list in the glove box will have the build codes. If you already have the gearing that corresponds to the GT5 build code then I'm afraid there's not a whole lot else that can be done beside swapping out the factory air box for a less restrictive setup, and some exhaust work to allow your engine to breathe a little better, this will only get you minimal gains though (20hp maybe).

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/vindecoder.php?vin=1GCHK29U15E181005

I put your VIN into this decoding software. says you have 4:10's. I would take your truck to Racer Performance in Bismarck. Before you go messing around online with stuff that may or may not work, go talk to them.

And that 6.0 should see good gains with a super chip.

For a short time I had a 3/4 ton 2007 suburban, with the 6.0. that engine was the 360hp version, and it could pull a house off the foundation.

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I wish I knew half the stuff some of you guys have forgotten about vehicles...I'll be looking for a new/used pickup in the next couple years when my son goes off to college and takes the one I am driving now...trying to learn as much as I can early! Keep posting so I know what to look for and what to rule out!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wish I knew half the stuff some of you guys have forgotten about vehicles

Toughest part is filtering out pro and anti zealots who minimize major issues or maximize minor issues in order to fit their beliefs.

The, "I'll never drive X brand" or conversely, "I'd only ever buy/drive brand Y" crowd. Objective information is difficult to come by.

- - - Updated - - -

All I know is I have to run in 3rd gear if I'm pulling any kind of load and it still pulls down to 40 going up the hill west out of Mandan. That's with a bumper pull deck over trailer and my 706 tractor. That load would be a little over 10,000# which is about what I think my 5th wheel and boat will be. I don't want to end up doing 40 mph going up every hill on the way to the camp ground especially if its a couple hundred miles away west of here.

Any shaking/hesitation when you're down to 40 like you're cutting out or dropping a cylinder? Almost sounds like something is wrong w/your current rig. How many Mi on current rig?

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
naw short,you'll be an empty nester,no used truck for you you'll jump feet first into a sports car,covert or sunroof for your scattergun eposodes.

Pony,when trailering you should lock out your overdrive gears,engage "tow haul" mode as well.Also watch your tranny temp gauage if your trailering in overdrive your taxing your tranny(shifting in and out of overdriver creating wear n tear check/smell your tranny fluid for burnt smell tranny temp should be around 180 degrees under load besure to lock out overdrive.

Last edited:

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any shaking/hesitation when you're down to 40 like you're cutting out or dropping a cylinder? Almost sounds like something is wrong w/your current rig. How many Mi on current rig?[/QUOTE]

Nope, just slows down as you climb the hill like it's overloaded. Third gear is where you have to run to keep it out of overdrive and I always engage the tow/haul button. I don't need to go down the road at 75 but I would like to be able to hold 60-65 except up the steepest hills. If I could do that I would be satisfied.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
chip your truck.....it works.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108