Boat windshield replacement

KiYi

Founding Member
Founding Member
Need the port side windshield on an '04 Tracker Tundra replaced. I have tried Tracker, Great Lakes Skipper, any and all salvage yards, many repair shops. No one can seem to find a windshield or be able to make me one. Any ideas anyone?

REY_off

Founding Member
Founding Member
Someone has posted on here or FBO that they have successfully made one side of a boat windshield with plexiglass and some careful heating.

Hopefully that person will chime in.

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
Is it a Taylormade brand? You can try contacting them directly...they replace the windshields, but it's not cheap.

KiYi

Founding Member
Founding Member

sig357

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went thought this last year and ended up having to call Taylor made. There is a sticker on the boat windshield frame that will tell them what make you need. If you have trouble finding it I think I had to pull the frame off the boat and it was on the bottom but it may be different one yours. Also you will need to probably send the frame in and they install it at their shop and send it back whole. I ended up installing back on the boat myself. Just make sure to get some good stainless screws to do this. It was a pretty easy project but may need some help holding it in place while you drill the screws in. Also project the glass with a towel just incase you slip with the drill and smash the window. Good luck

I have thought about that but I like the walk thru so that is the last option. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I will try them. Thanks!

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My neighbor broke his and I helped him with this process. The cost of discontinued glass replacement is crazy, I think his was $1600 for one section as it would need to be custom made by Taylormade. He ended up having one made out of plexiglass for around $350. It looks fine but they also said it would yellow over time and need to be replaced.

KiYi

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks all. Taylor Made had some and I ordered just the glass, will have to put it in myself. $350ish before shipping. Half as much as I was expecting.

- - - Updated - - -

However, on the way to work this morning, the back window on my work car shattered and fell into my back seat, no clue why (thinking it was broke last night but didn't even know they exploded like that). Rough year with glass for me, FML.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was the one that did it with plexiglass. Two of us did it. Took a heat gun to both sides and heated it while bending it. Used the frame as a template. Clamped it to the edge by the walk thru and clamped it midway to the curve. Then heated it as we bent it around. Started off with a piece a little larger than the opening and cut to size after.

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I looked & looked for a replacement for my older alumacraft & finally had Haider glass specialties make me one out of plexi glass. Was super reasonable price wise & have had it 2 summers now with zero complaints.
Someone has posted on here or FBO that they have successfully made one side of a boat windshield with plexiglass and some careful heating.

Hopefully that person will chime in.

Ctny

Need the port side windshield on an '04 Tracker Tundra replaced. I have tried Tracker, Great Lakes Skipper, any and all salvage yards, many repair shops. No one can seem to find a windshield or be able to make me one. Any ideas anyone?

Hello, I work at Haider Glass Specialties and this blog has been mentioned by a few customers in the past week so I thought that I could pop on and give some additional information. We do work on a lot of boats. Most of the time boat owners are coming to us because parts are not available or they are extremely expensive. Depending on the section that is broken, we would use glass or other materials. We generally do not use plexiglass because it is known to be brittle and break over time (especially with routine outdoor use). Plexiglass is also known to yellow. We have a material that we use that we are able to bend and that also has a UV coating that helps protect the material against yellowing. We are able to work with most boats and, many times, get them back to use within a short period of time and at a fraction of the cost of what the bent glass cost is. We would be happy to help if the need arises and we understand that the fishing/boating season is short so we put these types of projects at a high priority. I hope that I have answered the OP's question. Have a strong finish to the season!

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
where the fudge have you been the last 20 years?! this topic has come up too many times to count. nice to hear there is another option

hilberteah

Did they just have some left over glass in stock or did they custom make it for you? We need the same exact windshield as you and Taylor Made wasn't able to make a new one for us.
Thanks all. Taylor Made had some and I ordered just the glass, will have to put it in myself. $350ish before shipping. Half as much as I was expecting.

- - - Updated - - -

However, on the way to work this morning, the back window on my work car shattered and fell into my back seat, no clue why (thinking it was broke last night but didn't even know they exploded like that). Rough year with glass for me, FML.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74