Dak Shack-Zack Shack: ideas for interior finish

Royalwapiti

Hello,

I bought a Dak Shack (6x10) last winter, it is completely stock with foam walls and the 2x4's for hanging stuff up. I don't want to go crazy finishing the inside as I heard moisture will trap behind the walls and cause problems. I would like to hang a bed of some sort on a wall.

Anybody have pics of their Dak Shack and what they did to the interior?

Would also like to add ski fenders, if anything to raise it up out of the snow and reduce drag.

Thanks

Last edited:

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anytime I see the word shack I can't help but put in front of it the word wack before I even finish reading what it's about.

Royalwapiti

IMG_2743.jpgHere's the inside now with spray foam walls. I am thinking about a piano hinge along the front 2x4 to secure a bed that will lift up out of the way.

Last edited:

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
Put a vented heater in that thing if you plan on installing a bed.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
What’s the distance from the edge of the front holes to the front wall? Installing a bed that drops down will add several inches extending out when folded up. This might result in broken rods if you set the hook straight up, snapping the rod tip. I went away from a drop down bed in my build because of this. Instead, I have a sitting bench that turns into a bed.

Why not have a comfortable cot that you can hang from the wall when not in use? It’s allows for flexibility within the house and can be taken out and used elsewhere.

- - - Updated - - -

I’m going to have a cot for additional sleepers if needed.

As as mentioned in a previous post, you won’t be around to enjoy the house if you don’t install a vented heater in that thing.
#silentkiller

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
The last Dak shacks had 2 (looked like ladder) frames, one in front and one in back that would swing out from the wall and then 2 cot frames that dropped in. Not the most comfy but after enough latte's worked ok. And yes Get RID of that heater!!!!

Royalwapiti

Thanks for the info. Actually I am a safety professional and have used many gas detectors and seen confined spaces with high CO so I know about the hazards of that gas. That heater is one that came with the shack.

I have a portable buddy which burns more pure than sunflower and other yellow flame heaters thus very little CO production. Also tip over safe and low O2 safe. They're good safe heaters. but not the best for all houses. The 9000 btu Portable Buddy is actually about right if not a little much for this 6x10 space. If I put a wall mounted vented heater in, say a 15K btu Empire, I would be blown out of there...The buddy blows me out of my thermal Clam Nanook flipover, I end up jogging it on and off all day.

I like the bed frame swinging idea. Also looked at this one on YouTube. Called Fishhouse Updates 2018

It won't let me post links or pics until I get 5 messages in...

At this point I will be adding baskets like the video and try fabricating a bed like the video. I already added a CO detector, 2 more holes and some rubber coin floor.

Thanks for the ideas, any more? Would like to see one with the skis/fender on it to see how they work. It sits low and drags when there is 6" or more of snow.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i had 1 and really liked it... i took a 3" hole saw and cut a hole in each corner just under ceiling level through the steel and foam and screwed on outside 220 electrical plug covers with the lift up covers... had a little piece of metal i would use to prop them open when needed...

i also used a big buddy heater - on low once it warmed up, and cracked a window on the upwind side, and opened the electrical cover on the down wind side... worked awesome, and was cheap...

i also had the skis but learned that if the snow got deep enough to use them, there was too much snow for the tow rig - so they went with the house when i sold it...

Royalwapiti

i had 1 and really liked it... i took a 3" hole saw and cut a hole in each corner just under ceiling level through the steel and foam and screwed on outside 220 electrical plug covers with the lift up covers... had a little piece of metal i would use to prop them open when needed...

i also had the skis but learned that if the snow got deep enough to use them, there was too much snow for the tow rig - so they went with the house when i sold it...

This one has 2 inch holes drilled through on each side, they are like circular soffit vents. I haven't covered them, there have been no overnights in it yet. Could shove a paper towel in them if needed.

I wondered if the skis were worth a hoot. Seems like a good idea to raise it. They look good, there is only like 6" of clearance under the shack. I got stuck three times getting off the ice last year on my maiden voyage. I was ready to park it and use my flipover.

Thanks

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
The old Zack shaks had U type brackets welded to the steel side supports. And the beds were 1 1/2 black iron pipe and canvas. They were more of a cot than a bed but they worked pretty good.

You said there is only 6 inchs of clearance. If you put a taller receiver hitch on your 4 wheeler you wont get hung up as easy.

Last edited:

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks for the info. Actually I am a safety professional and have used many gas detectors and seen confined spaces with high CO so I know about the hazards of that gas. That heater is one that came with the shack.

I have a portable buddy which burns more pure than sunflower and other yellow flame heaters thus very little CO production. Also tip over safe and low O2 safe. They're good safe heaters. but not the best for all houses. The 9000 btu Portable Buddy is actually about right if not a little much for this 6x10 space. If I put a wall mounted vented heater in, say a 15K btu Empire, I would be blown out of there...The buddy blows me out of my thermal Clam Nanook flipover, I end up jogging it on and off all day.

I like the bed frame swinging idea. Also looked at this one on YouTube. Called Fishhouse Updates 2018

It won't let me post links or pics until I get 5 messages in...

At this point I will be adding baskets like the video and try fabricating a bed like the video. I already added a CO detector, 2 more holes and some rubber coin floor.

Thanks for the ideas, any more? Would like to see one with the skis/fender on it to see how they work. It sits low and drags when there is 6" or more of snow.

Put an RV type furnace in there and you'll have perfect temps all the time. Sure they need power, but the comfort and "dry" heat is well worth it.

I have used my buddy heater in my 6x12 enclosed trailer while I have been working on the inside in cold weather and it has shut off on me due to low O2 levels. NO WAY I would trust a O2 sensor in a $100 heater with my life!

Royalwapiti

Put an RV type furnace in there and you'll have perfect temps all the time. Sure they need power, but the comfort and "dry" heat is well worth it.

I have used my buddy heater in my 6x12 enclosed trailer while I have been working on the inside in cold weather and it has shut off on me due to low O2 levels. NO WAY I would trust a O2 sensor in a $100 heater with my life!

Put a bunk in and ordered a mattress pad and Empire DV210 heater. That's a lawn chair pad in there right now.

Bunk down.jpgBunk up.jpg

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Please post pics when you are done with your furnace install. I also have a Zack Shack that I love but have been too afraid to sleep in it due to the non ventilated heater

Royalwapiti

Please post pics when you are done with your furnace install. I also have a Zack Shack that I love but have been too afraid to sleep in it due to the non ventilated heater

It may not be pretty, I was hoping to put it on the front wall under the bunk, it would be hot but heater requires 12" of clearance above it. I may have to go up high on a side toward the front, if I go back the lowering lever and tire hits it. So the vent has to go out the side toward the front.

I might reconfigure the bunk. I would really like the heater up front. I have a jackknife sofa from a toy hauler I could use, but that presents other challenges, not sure if the walls are rigid enough to support it. Lots of torque on sofa's steel frame when leaning upright against the wall.

I tend to jump into stuff too quick. I should have just said screw it, when I sleep there I start my honda gennie and use the electric heater...

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m going to guess here and say that your heater needs “12 inches of clearance” so that it doesn’t overheat in a confined space. If you left the heater out in the open and ran the vents far enough away from the heater, it will prevent the heater from eating and crapping too close to each other. This would alleviate the 12” issue. Another thing to consider is the venting location. If you vent the heater out of the front, vehicle travel throwing snow and ice can clog the vent. I was told that Suburban won’t warranty a vented furnace that is vented out the front because of that issue. I know we might not be comparing apples to apples, but it’s food for thought. Good luck.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75