youth bows

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have two girls who have shot the smaller "toy" bows for awhile now but want to get more serious into archery. They will both be joining a youth league in January and I'd like to get them each a decent youth bow to start and possibly shoot for quite awhile.

I'm looking for something affordable but with good reviews from other parents who have already been down this road. I have an 8 year old and 6 year old girl. Timing couldn't be better as I can knock a couple Christmas gifts out at the same time.

Any insight from you all would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'd be interested in opinions on whether to start shooting fingers or release, sights or no sights, etc.
I want them to have fun first and foremost, and possibly catch the archery and/or bowhunting bug as a secondary effect.

Thanks again in advance.

That guy

Honored Member
The mission craze is great bow as it goes from 15lbs to i think 65-70 with no bow press needed. If you are talking about youth leauge and it happens to be NASP that takes a certain bow if not then you are fine with the craze. I do believe bowtech also makes a good starter bow also.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is what I got my boy. Great starter bow but it isn't big enough to hunt with. As soon as my boy can pull it back at the heaviest draw weight I'll buy him a mission craze to hunt with. I don't want to buy him a craze just yet. Too much money for me to risk giving to him just yet. He's getting there though.

https://diamondarchery.com/atomickids/landingpage/

HammsRMK

Honored Member
I have the wife and my 8 year old daughter shooting they same bow. Diamond Infinite Edge. Lots of adjustment. My daughter is not hunting yet with it but hopefully by next year. My wife shot her first buck with hers last fall. Not top notch but they should be able to shoot them for many years.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have two girls who have shot the smaller "toy" bows for awhile now but want to get more serious into archery. They will both be joining a youth league in January and I'd like to get them each a decent youth bow to start and possibly shoot for quite awhile.

I'm looking for something affordable but with good reviews from other parents who have already been down this road. I have an 8 year old and 6 year old girl. Timing couldn't be better as I can knock a couple Christmas gifts out at the same time.

Any insight from you all would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'd be interested in opinions on whether to start shooting fingers or release, sights or no sights, etc.
I want them to have fun first and foremost, and possibly catch the archery and/or bowhunting bug as a secondary effect.

Thanks again in advance.
Make sure they are strong enough to pull it back. I found out the hard way but hopefully they will be strong enough in the future. That diamond looks like a good starter bow.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
My oldest started out with a diamond. I got him a mission hammer this last winter. Way smoother and faster bow. Mission does not make the crazy anymore. The hammer is the new one. Basically the same bow just a couple improvements.

Nelly

Founding Member
Founding Member
The infinite edge is a great starter bow. It can be adjusted to very low poundage up to high enough for hunting. I bought a left handed bow for my son and he was able to pull it back once we set the poundage very low when he was 8. He is now 11 and we have been bumping up the poundage as we can. He is not quite there yet for hunting, so maybe next season.
I have had friends that bought them for their kids and they did use them for hunting with some success.

jr2280

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought my son a Diamond edge SB-1 last year and my wife has an older infinite edge. The SB-1 is a darn nice youth bow. The wife likes hers too but the S.B.-1 is much nicer. 7-70 lb draw weight and 15-30 inch draw. Super easy to adjust. I got the SB-1 on eBay for 1/2 the price as new and was barely used. My son already grew 2 inches of draw length and 8 or so lbs of draw weight from 9-10 years old. I had him adjusted in about 5 minutes this year. I highly recommend. The S.B.-1 is a bit bigger than the infinite edge though. But he was at the tail end of 8 years old when he got it and had no problem.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
2 of my daughters have Mission Craze bow. Excellent bow IMO. And they also have the NASP bows for school. Genesis i believe they are called. Downside with those, no letoff and not much adjustments but thats the official bow for that program.

muzzyhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
The acute angle on all these short axle bows makes them almost impossible to shoot without some type of release,alot of companies make index finger releases for youth.This is one area you dont want to go cheap,as releases with heavy triggers or alot of travel will develop form issues.
Im not saying you have to go high end,but stay away from the lowest end stuff the big box stores carry.
I taught kids in the get hooked on the outdoors for years,get them sights,peep sights,the quicker they can hit thier target and proficiently,thier more likely to stick with it.
Get them shooting and shooting good first.after awhile they will decide which way they want to shoot wether it be barebow,tradtional,compound sights or not.
I would also have them draw a few models back to see what fits and feels right to the individual.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just bought my youngest daughter a Bear Rant, set up for $300 bucks. Very nice shooting little bow, only will adjust up to 45lbs at max, looked at the model a step above (cruzer) that was $100 more and adjusts to 70lbs. Went with the Rant due to it being a little lighter and shorter, easier for her to handle at her size. I'd recommend either, have had a few Bear's over the years with no complaints and are priced much more reasonable than your bigger names.

Bought my other daughter the mission Radik, was a little lighter for her to handle than the hammr. It's more expensive than the Bear one but is probably a nicer bow than I shoot. That thing is a little cannon.

frozen4sioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love the Diamond bows for the youth.
I bought my son the Infinite Edge pro and it has been phenomenal for quality and the ease of changing draw length and weight as he grows.
I highly reccomend it.
I bought the wife the SB-1 and it is also a great unit.
The affordabilty of these is a great value as the kids grow.

I bought the other son a cheaper Bear limitless, as he isnt into it as much but wants to participate when we shoot. I dont recommend that one for seriously hunting as much, cheaper.
We looked at the Misson craze quite a bit but all in all the Diamond IE Pro and the SB1 are highly highly recommended for quality, adjustability, huntability and value.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been looking into this a bit as well. One thing that comes up (and I seem to agree with) is also pay attention to the overall bows weight, not just draw weight. 3-4lbs out at full arms length can take a way from the enjoyment of shooting for small kids. Bad form as well.

Focus more of comfortable draw weight, bow mass weight, and light, properly sized arrows. Don't just give them your left over or broken shafts you shoot.

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
X2 on these. I have them for both my kids & they are great bows.
I have the wife and my 8 year old daughter shooting they same bow. Diamond Infinite Edge. Lots of adjustment. My daughter is not hunting yet with it but hopefully by next year. My wife shot her first buck with hers last fall. Not top notch but they should be able to shoot them for many years.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
NASP Genesis bows are an excellent choice. NASP is becoming wildly popular across the state and it would be great for them to be ready to go once they get into fourth grade and can start competing. This is not a hunting bow, but a great bridge between a "toy" bow and a serious bow for hunting. Draw length and weight is almost universal as the draw does not have a let-off, and the weight is anywhere from next to nothing up to I think 40 lbs. Message me if you have any more questions, I'm actually quite familiar with this setup.

micdundee

Founding Member
Founding Member
Both of my boys shoot in our local school NASP team so they each shoot the genesis with no sights, rests etc. My older boy though I just got a Mission Hammr. It comes with a sight, rest, and quiver. I changed the rest and put a whisker busuit on it though. That bow adjusts from 16-70 lbs and from 17-29 in. draw length so it can stay with him as he grows. I am extremely please with both of those.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75