Twist of Fate 2019

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had the opportunity to take part in this years Twist of Fate disabled archery hunt as a guide (hunter helper) for the first time and brought another buddy and his dad with as well as another NDA member helping to give an extra spot if we needed. Needless to say all three of us will be participating next year and we really learned a lot about the opportunities that are being given to those that might not always be able to get out on their own. The overall amount of volunteer work that goes into this 4 day event is amazing and the hunting community participation is astounding.
It was also a very humbling experience to say the least not only learning the challenges of getting these enthusiasts out for a hunt but more so the challenges they overcome every day and the innovation some have come up with and the work ethic that they possess. In our case we had a young man that has had strokes and 31-32 brain surgeries with problems starting around age 16 (now 25). He had never been anywhere near 15yds of a deer before, let me tell you that surely changed Thursday night after all 3 of us learning a crossbow for the first time and hitting the range when at end of shooting light him and my buddy that took first sit were covered by 7-9 doe fawns. Come Friday morning was my turn to sit and nothing came in, Friday nights hunt I mad the decision to run 35-40mi away to another NDA members land where the wind was barley better for the sit. The deer didn't read the script and instead of one coming in at about 22yds it came in at around 12 and our hunter was ready as it just appeared on his lap before the "guide" knew what happened. He made a fast and great shot with the big doe maybe traveling 35-40yds before tipping over in the beans. That was his first deer in many years and by far the closest ever, also one of the biggest does I have ever taken care of. After loading and trading stories it was the 40min drive to camp with anticipation of the Horn honking ritual to signal there was a deer in tow. Though it was late there were plenty of people still up and food waiting for us when we got back so we can eat and get to taking care of the deer. This is pretty much the short story of the hunt.
One thing for sure is there is a new friendship that my buddy and I have formed with our hunter and beings we are all in the same area it will not be the only time we will see each other, and if this young man decides to continue to pursue hunting opportunities he now knows that he has a spot or two within his home with great people.
Out of respect as well to help give all of you a perspective of what I saw and experienced I will not post pictures but will post this link so that you yourself can go through and read everything and look at pictures from this year and years past. http://twistoffatend.org/hunt.html

PS to Skoalie
Sorry I didn't get to hang out at the bonfire Saturday night due to tracking for another hunter, next year right.

PS to NDA Mosses
Thank you for giving Twist of Fate a spot to use.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congrats to the young man that you helped and a big thank you for making his dreams come true. :;:thumbsup This is what hunting is all about! :;:rockit

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congrats to the young man that you helped and a big thank you for making his dreams come true. :;:thumbsup This is what hunting is all about! :;:rockit

It's not just me, its many others involved. From seasoned to new such as myself
Thanks

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Luvcatchingbass. Keep me in mind for next year, I would like to help not with the hunting but with supplying a bunch to fresh stuff out of my garden to help feed the crew.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good sight on a chilly morning
20190928_101610.jpg

Range Practice.

Party Boy Buck
20190927_131700.jpg

Thunder Chicken
20190927_132418.jpg

Bacon-ater
20190927_133637.jpg

Skoalongcut

Founding Member
Founding Member
Awesome write up. Good stuff. I encourage everybody to go down to Twist of Fate at least once in your life. They have a banquet/fundraiser on the Saturday of the hunt with a free will supper, public welcome. It doesn't suck. By the way, the hunters were 9 of 12 this year during the hunt. I believe there were four buckaroos and five skinheads.

Last edited:

recurve1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Twist of Fate is a fantastic organization. I was a guide/helper for several years. It is truly awe inspiring and an awakening to experience. The things we take for granted and the things these people struggle to overcome is amazing. I encourage all of you to experience this hunt at least once. There is an open house if you are not able to guide/cook/setup/tear down. I was fortunate to be a part of the organization when they still had use of the old 4H camp. From the landowners to the donors to the locals, the support is amazing. There is nothing like the horn honking ritual!

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Twist of Fate is a fantastic organization. I was a guide/helper for several years. It is truly awe inspiring and an awakening to experience. The things we take for granted and the things these people struggle to overcome is amazing. I encourage all of you to experience this hunt at least once. There is an open house if you are not able to guide/cook/setup/tear down. I was fortunate to be a part of the organization when they still had use of the old 4H camp. From the landowners to the donors to the locals, the support is amazing. There is nothing like the horn honking ritual!

The Horn Honking truly gets the excitement going when your at camp, it sure felt good coming in seeing everyone waiting for us. Had it been a buck not sure if there would have been much of an operational horn after I was done.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77