Wader recommendations

Gr8tz

Established Member
I’m in need of a new pair of waders what do you guys recommend

frozen4sioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fer what pupose, Duck hunting, fishing, weekly basement water removal for a house in the valley?
Dollar for dollar, quality, warranty, wearability breathabilty, versatility with layering.
Simms G3 stockingfoot and a good pair of boots has lasted me almost 10 years from blistering hot summer fishing to ice out fishing and tailrace wading.
Just a phenomenal value, in fact im going to use them today.
I used to buy and replace waders from cabelas left right and sideways, the Simms are worth every penny.
The only reason im buying a new pair next spring is to get a pair of the wading pants to cut down on weight for some outings.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We learned when we kids, you didn't need waders with you hunted the harvested fields

Gr8tz

Established Member
Fer what pupose, Duck hunting, fishing, weekly basement water removal for a house in the valley?
Dollar for dollar, quality, warranty, wearability breathabilty, versatility with layering.
Simms G3 stockingfoot and a good pair of boots has lasted me almost 10 years from blistering hot summer fishing to ice out fishing and tailrace wading.
Just a phenomenal value, in fact im going to use them today.
I used to buy and replace waders from cabelas left right and sideways, the Simms are worth every penny.
The only reason im buying a new pair next spring is to get a pair of the wading pants to cut down on weight for some outings.

i will be using them for all the above river fishing at the tailrace and hesket, spring fishing at devils lake and we get our newest member of the family next month, a lab puppy so I will be getting back into some water hunting with him

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Personally I go for the cheapest pair I can find.
I always end up getting holes in them in a year's time or so. And the repairs usually don't work for me.

Right now I use a pair of Hodgmans chest waders (light weight) and a pair of Mad Dog Gear (DU) hip waders.
The Hodgmans have a small hole in them but I still use them. Surprisingly to me the DU hip waders have held up for quite a few years now.

Keep them stored out of sunlight and hanging so they aren't bent/folded. IMO they should last longer then.

Good luck!

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have some 4 mm thick bootfoots, with 1200 grams of thinsulate, for late season and early season wading at Heskett. I wear size 12 shoes, and buy them in size 13. Plenty of room for layers, and heavy socks. Can fish into December. For early fall or into June, I use some stockingfoot breathables by Frog Toggs, with some of the lower end Simms boots.

I too can't seem to keep a pair of waders for more than two seasons though, and although I use them a lot, I'm relatively careful.

Won't be much wading at Heskett this fall, by the looks of things. It's armpit-deep about 5 steps away from the stairs.

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member
I'm going on almost 10 years on a pair of Cabela's insulated waders that I have used heavily, I worked for the fish and wildlife service for 4 years and really beat them up along with duck hunting 4 or 5 times a year. I have one patch in the boot and one on the side. Best way I have found to patch them is with a tire intertube patch. O Reilly's sells a kit of them for pretty cheap.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77