Binocular Harness

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking for a good binocular harness, preferably one that fully encloses your binos to hold them snug to your chest but easy enough to pull out in a cinch. Best would be something that fits a few sizes of binoculars 10x42 AND 10x50. Anyone had good success with a specific setup?

Frosty....

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have experience with both KUIU and Alaska Guide Creation and they both housed 10x42s. The Alaska is what I wear now because I like the pockets on it. I carry my GPS, wind checker, havalon knife w/ blades, lens wipes, and a fire starter in the pockets.

https://alaskaguidecreations.com/pages/packs

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have experience with the same 2 as frosty. I like the AGC better for the same reasons.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Frosty.... and JMF I was looking at the Kuiu pack, but didn't love that while the binoculars are attached (which I like) once they are out of the pack for use, only the strap around the chest supports the actual pack, just seems funky to me I guess. I like the Alaska pack, but then the binoculars are not attached to anything. Decisions, decisions. Thoughts on these differences?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why would you want the binos attached to any thing. I either hand hold or they are on the tri pod

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why would you want the binos attached to any thing. I either hand hold or they are on the tri pod

I often do a lot of crawling and moving in hazardous manners to my equipment. I would like them to be safely attached to me in some way in the event they get pulled out of the chest pack for whatever reason.

The kuiu bino harness has been great going on 5 years. I like how slim it is. Added the range finder pocket and tether this year and don’t know why I waited so long. I trust the kuiu to protect my swaro EL’s.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Frosty.... and JMF I was looking at the Kuiu pack, but didn't love that while the binoculars are attached (which I like) once they are out of the pack for use, only the strap around the chest supports the actual pack, just seems funky to me I guess. I like the Alaska pack, but then the binoculars are not attached to anything. Decisions, decisions. Thoughts on these differences?

The AGC's include the quick connect straps to attach the binos to the case.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I often do a lot of crawling and moving in hazardous manners to my equipment. I would like them to be safely attached to me in some way in the event they get pulled out of the chest pack for whatever reason.

there is no way they come out of the agc I have crawled and beat the shit out of them and the agc won’t come open unless you open it

Skunked

I recently spent a lot of time researching different brands online and decided on the Outdoor Vision bino harness. It checked all of the boxes for me. I wasn't looking for something big and bulky with a lot of pockets for other things besides my binoculars. The harness is very comfortable, the pack fully encases the lenses of the binos and has two small pockets and a detachable rain fly. The lid opens away from your body, which is very convenient. The lid is held shut and in the open position with near-silent magnets.

I called the company to ask them some questions and the owner called me back. He was happy to answer all of my questions, and I really appreciated the fact that the owner of the company took time out of his day to answer a potential customer's questions. I ended up buying a pair of their gaiters as well. Man, were those nice to have for pheasant hunting in this wet slushy snow shit today!

Last edited:

Frosty....

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like JMF said, you can use the quick connects to attach your binos. I hardly ever have mine attached though.
20191013_201022.jpg

Last edited:

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Frosty.... and JMF I was looking at the Kuiu pack, but didn't love that while the binoculars are attached (which I like) once they are out of the pack for use, only the strap around the chest supports the actual pack, just seems funky to me I guess.

Their original bino harness is like that (which you can still buy), but they have a new "Pro" bino harness where the pack stays attached to the shoulder straps and have separate straps that attach to the binos.

I have the original and I like it a lot. The AGC one is just too bulky for my taste. The only time where the strapping system was problematic was periodically glassing while belly crawling.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a marsupial gear harness and like it quit a bit, the only one I have tried, liked so never had reason to try something else. it has bigger side pockets for a wind checker bottle and back pocket that I put my cell phone in.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just went through this dilemma and it really seems like there is no perfect option, they all have pros and cons. Most seem to bulky for my taste. I ended up finding the Sitka bino bivy on sale for $85 so i'm giving that a whirl. I'm not quite sure about the zipper, but i do kind of like that you can have 100% full containment with that up, or have it zipped down and then the flap has a magnet to still hold it closed or flip it open and hold it down.

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just sold my AGC which I had used for the past two years which worked but was a little too bulky for my liking. I ordered the one from Muley Freak and will try that. Looks a little more streamlined. Should be here this week.

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went with Sitka, based on full containment. Do a lot of coyote hunting, so I wanted something that would keep the snow out. Rarely use the zipper as the magnets do an awesome job at keeping it closed.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I finally put an end to my frustrations with the Kuiu harness. Again, it comes down to application. The Kuiu harness is light and simple and fine for just hiking to a vantage point with no pack or a light pack and sitting there to watch for deer/coyotes. I couldn’t get the Kuiu harness to stay tight while hiking moderate distances with a heavy pack. It seems like I would have to stop every mile or two and tighten the whole thing. The AK guide stays tight and I like it’s bulk for back pack hunting when I need more essential/emergency items on me at all times. I really like that it has a spot for my inreach to stay with me at all times.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74