Otter Flipovers

BotnoJoe

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking for recommendations - trying to decide if the "pro" model otters with the swivel seats are worth the extra cost when compared to the "XT" models with the bench seat. Would also appreciate any accessory recommendations. Thank you in advance for any input

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
The bench is nice for kids or setting a few things on, but is a bit of a PIA to reach in back of the tub to get things without standing up. Both are very comfortable. I have the wire rod holders and like how they work.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've also been thinking of buying an otter. People I ask all say to get the bench seat, more room to set stuff is the biggest reason.

I can't decide which model to get. I fish alone often in the middle of the week and like to move a lot so sometime I think of getting a one man just so its lighter to load up. Maybe just get two, a man and a bigger one I dunno.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just sold an otter cabin with the swivel seats. I'll buy the same model when my kids get a little older. It's considered a 2 man but it'll get kinda tight with bibs and parkas on until it gets warm.

Holmsvc

Founding Member
Founding Member
For accessories the otter rod holders are really nice

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe just get two, a man and a bigger one I dunno.

That's what I did. I have a Lodge and an eskimo wide 1.

BotnoJoe

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've also been thinking of buying an otter. People I ask all say to get the bench seat, more room to set stuff is the biggest reason.

I can't decide which model to get. I fish alone often in the middle of the week and like to move a lot so sometime I think of getting a one man just so its lighter to load up. Maybe just get two, a man and a bigger one I dunno.

I am also trying to decide which model to get. I am leaning towards the lodge. Thinking I will have to go to a brick and mortar store to sit in a few of them

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an older bench seat cabin that i leave the bench out and just sit on a folding chair. I like having the entire sled open to put things in plus it makes it really light to pull by hand since i think the seats are about half the overall weight. If i was buying new today i'm not quite sure what id do. I think if I was buying a cabin id still go bench, for the fact that the bench seat model is actually taller and easier to get into and i don't like the permanent crossbar for the swivel seats in that smaller sled, also, i can take the bench out easily to pull by hand. If i was going lodge or bigger and was never going to pull by hand myself id probably go for the swivels.

Accessory must haves.
- hyfax kit, just get it and install on sled before you put house together.
- 3 pocket cargo net
- otter LED light kit
- tow hitch and pivot if towing behind anything

Feildhunter701

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a lodge with bench seat. Rod holders are a must. I have the runner kit. I do have a clam 1 man too.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a 2 man flipover (not and Otter and not a cabin size). Not much difference between the flippers as far as use and I have the starter version as it fits in the back of my pickup with the endgate up. I like the swivel seats as they are tighter. I also have a popup, bought that as I can spear out of it. Most of the time I actually prefer the popup as it is roomier and lighter plus also fits in the back of my truck.

Also have a wheel house which is nice if I don't have to move it much. Get one of each and you'll have one for all occasions. Either that or two too many.

I had an otter pro xt cabin. Last year went with the pro xt lodge crossover. Them side doors are awesome . The cabin does get tight with two people in there . I fish by myself most the time .cabin isnt bad for that but I like the little extra room in the lodge. I'm able to stand up and in the cabin I wasnt able to but I also tow my lodge with my 4 wheeler so weight isnt a big deal for me.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the otter Cabin bench seat. Ended up adding a light kits and the hyfax runner kit on it.

Reason I went with the cabin was because of length. I can put the cabin in the back of my 5'8" box and close the tail gate. Buddy had the lodge and it was great for the true 2 man room.

Went with the bench because I have an 8, 5, and 3 year old. I have yet to go ice fishing with anyone of them and not have a boot go down a hole. So they sit on the bench and their feet on the sled ledge drying. or they can even lay down.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a Frabill predator a couple years back. Insulated, 2 swivel chairs, and the side entry.
I am really happy with it.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I own the pro lodge with swivel seats, and fished one with bench. I'll take the swivel seats, and otter center console. As far as a accessories go, I like my center console, otter lights, otter rod holders, hi fax and hitch. I also added coat hooks. If you want to check one out in Minot you're more then welcome to take a look.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Similar question, anybody run the Eskimo flip over? Sierra thermal for $500 sure seems decent price but heard the sleds are shit?

dirtybirds14

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am also trying to decide which model to get. I am leaning towards the lodge. Thinking I will have to go to a brick and mortar store to sit in a few of them

Head down when scheels is having there "ice fishing fest", they were $100 off and threw in a $100 scheels gift card that day. Paid for the hyfax kit and some tackle felt like a win.

Holmsvc

Founding Member
Founding Member
Similar question, anybody run the Eskimo flip over? Sierra thermal for $500 sure seems decent price but heard the sleds are shit?[/QUOTE

The sled on my wide one is garbage. The sled on the Grizzly is a really good sled. I'm not sure what the sierra is like.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got a Cabin XT Pro with Swivel seats and liked it last year. Additions I made was the Otter Rod holders that fold out of the way, velcro coat hooks (scheels brand) and the Clam rod tubes that I installed behind me. Will probably add HyFax (yes I know I should have before putting it together), tow bar and the Light kit this year. Side doors would be nice but so far was a good rig fishing solo and with a second person.

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an Otter XT Pro cabin that is about 5 years old now. Went with the cabin so it would fit in my 5'8" short bed with the tailgate shut. I like the seats and also have their sportsman caddy (center console storage). If it's just me fishing then I can remove one of the seats and sit more the in the middle. Two seats and the caddy is a little tight but fishable. I can also slide the seats off the bases and store them in the sled. This reduces the height of the sled when stored and I can roll my tonneau cover it. Not sure if this would be possible with the bench seat version.

If you get the pro version with the swivel seats I recommend installing the seat rail lower then what is suggested. This causes the seat to sit a little lower in the back and reclines the seat back a little.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76