An Arkansas hunter killed Tuesday by a deer

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
An Arkansas hunter was killed Tuesday by a deer he assumed was shot dead, said Keith Stephens, a spokesman for the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission.

Thomas Alexander, 66, was an experienced hunter who had lived in the Yellville, Ark., area for several years, Stephens said. He was hunting Tuesday in the nearby Ozark Mountains using a primitive firearm known as a muzzleloader, according to Stephens, and called a family member at 6:30 p.m. to tell them he’d successfully shot a buck.

But the timeline of events becomes less clear after that.

Stephens isn’t sure if Alexander, a licensed hunter, immediately left his deer stand or waited before approaching the buck. Muzzleloader season runs from Oct. 19-27, Stephens said — but regardless of the firearm, the commission recommends waiting at least 30 minutes to ensure a shot deer is actually killed.

“He may have done that, but evidently the deer wasn’t dead,” Stephens said. “They found several puncture wounds on him at the hospital — the assumption is the deer gored him with his antlers.”

Alexander called another family member about 8 p.m. to report he was injured, Stephens said. That family member alerted 911, but Alexander died from his injuries en route to the hospital. Stephens said no autopsy is planned at this time.

The Game and Fish Commission sent at least two dogs out Wednesday in hopes of tracking down the buck, which is believed to still be alive, Stephens said. The search was set to continue Thursday, but heavy rainfall in the area has hampered the effort. Muzzleloader season runs from Oct.19-27.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never Assume Death.. Never trust downed big game/predators just like never trust a pike with a crank in it's mouth.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
As much as I feel for the guy and his family, for me personally, not a bad way to go really. For as many deer as I've sent to the next life, having one send me "on my way" doesn't seem out of the question or overly harsh. That's just me though.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glad the game warden is OK. That could have ended up very differently.
One can never be too careful.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
back 10 or so years ago had a deer wounded facing away from me. I walk up behind it and noticed he was staring at me over his shoulder as i got close he got up and started to come towards me so i shot him again. that was weird to say the least. I put him on the wall.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
While I have a tough time being afraid of a WT or MD, I am just smart enough to be damn afraid of moose and cattle.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Got kicked right close to the family jewels by a dead buck. Always aproach from the spine side of so-called dead deer, and then poke in the eye with gun barrel. Only have to move said barrel a few inches to end it.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Years ago we walked up an assumed dead buck. The thing got up and started charging us, good thing I had a round in the chamber. Last year I thought the buck I shot was dead. Even let it lay for about 15 minutes. Starting dragging it and it starting fighting back, weirdest thing having a deer pulling away from you as you're trying to drag it. I think from now on if it's not a wall mounter I'm gonna walk up and put a couple in the head with the sidearm just to make damn sure it's dead.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think from now on if it's not a wall mounter I'm gonna walk up and put a couple in the head with the sidearm just to make damn sure it's dead.

That's where I learned fast not to assume anything anymore. Grabbed the 22 mag long rifle out from back behind the seat to finish my bothers buck off, shot him right thru the heart and his eyes got as big as 50 cent pieces. A huge burst of adrenalin must have kicked in and it was off to the races before he had his antlers stuck in the back of my sweatshirt in no time, couldn't jump high enough to get the antler unstuck. Then before the attack started, it was over, he fell over stone dead.
Would have been one crazy ordeal without that mortal kill shot to the heart that started it all. Hes on the wall and still have the antlered/holed up nodak outdoors sweatshirt to boot. There was a crowd of 5 us standing there when it happened so that will always be a bar story for the ages.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
I, too have similar story several years ago, shot a 4 x 5 muley once in stubble field, walked up to him, see pool blood by his neck on the snow, stood there for a few minutes thinking its time to field dress the ole boy, put my gun down, get the knife out of the sheath standing behind the buck, I grab one of the hind legs to do the spread eagle, sob got up!!!!! took off, jump a barb fence 50 yds away, fell and balled up right on the other side of the fence, I'm trying to jam a round in my 270 walking up to him....fudge...he gets up again, all startled I tried shooting..missed.....down in the a draw he goes...double fudge....pissed I sit down, there's a blood trail plus its snow on the ground, wait 15 minutes, starting following the blood trail, see him laying down, approach him from behind slowly, his moaning, bobbing his head so I put the cross-hairs right on the back of his head..pop....done. Only bad thing at that point.....had to drag him out of the draw. More work than I wanted...oh well live and learn.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74