Do soybeans kill birds?

Fishing701

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was wondering what happened when a bird fills up on beans and then they beans expand in there stomachs. Just a thought. The more soybeans I see the less I see pheasants. Sean some dead ones along the way too.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
They do just fine as long as they take Beano with them.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Soybeans contain a trypsin inhibitor. Trypsin is a protease in the intestine that aids in digestion. When birds (and mammals to a lesser degree) eat soybeans that haven’t been cooked/heated enough to “disable” the trypsin inhibitor, it can cause irreparable harm to the animal’s guts. Finally. All that book learnin pays off!

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Soybeans contain a trypsin inhibitor. Trypsin is a protease in the intestine that aids in digestion. When birds (and mammals to a lesser degree) eat soybeans that haven’t been cooked/heated enough to “disable” the trypsin inhibitor, it can cause irreparable harm to the animal’s guts. Finally. All that book learnin pays off!

I think all the peanut butter cups I just ate must have had that stuff in them. I feel irreparable bubble guts right now.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I was wondering what happened when a bird fills up on beans and then they beans expand in there stomachs. Just a thought. The more soybeans I see the less I see pheasants. Sean some dead ones along the way too.

That's what the gizzard is for.

Magpie

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's what the gizzard is for.

Correct. Birds have gizzards that grind them up before they reach the stomach. They eat gravel to aid in the grinding. That's why you don't see corn in pheasant poop.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
saw soybeans in pheasant crops all the time when I lived elsewhere

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Killed maNy roosters full of soybeans. I don't think they hurt the birds. My 2 cents.

Last edited:

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
There has been a couple of instances of die-offs of Canada geese in Missouri in 1969 and 1979. The esophagus becomes impacted with soybeans. Look it up . Robert Jarvis author.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’ve shot quite a few pheasants and grouse in and along soybean fields and they had a crop full of them. So in a roundabout way I guess you could say soybeans were their demise.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only if you reload your own shells with soybeans instead of shot. :;:smokin

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There has been a couple of instances of die-offs of Canada geese in Missouri in 1969 and 1979. The esophagus becomes impacted with soybeans. Look it up . Robert Jarvis author.

So, did the geese die from the soybeans or because around the Thanksgiving time they overate? The esophagus impacted with soybeans could have caused suffocation.

I have been told by a biologist that waterfowl get very little nutrition from soybeans because of the way they digest the bean. Not sure about other birds.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.pfwebsites.org/chapter/browncountypforg/files/Pheasant Ecology.pdf

This is an interesting read. Though pheasants can survive on them, it doesn't appear that they are a great food source for them for reasons others have discussed above. They can adapt and eat them....we all know that they love picking a soybean field that is blown clear when everything else is covered in snow.

I know the jokes are made in jest, but the whole cover scenario is what really kills birds around soybeans. We raised a bunch of birds last year and had a lot of beans around. The hawks were murderous on the pheasants out in the open. Tough to hide in bean stubble, if you can call it that. There were dead birds everywhere.........

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76