Field hunting waterfowl

Andymorg

I am located in Bismarck, and as most of us know, the majority of water now has ice on it. I want to hunt some waterfowl and I can’t hunt the Missouri, where do I start for scouting fields for some ducks and geese? I have field decoys and calls and everything I need. I’m from MT and I’m not really familiar with where there are good grain fields to try and shoot some birds! I am not sure on whether to try and stick near the river or head more east. Any tips would be greatly appreciated

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
Start driving north. Geese start to show up around Wilton. Washburn is what you’re looking for. No clue on land access as I haven’t hunted waterfowl going on 7 years now.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Head up to the lake at this point Stevie Wonder would have no trouble spotting the geese!

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anywhere around the east half of sakakawea is loaded with geese. Drive around the lake and watch for flocks.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tank or two of
gas will answer your quest,scouting is your friend.

Snapper

Coming back from SD last Sunday we seen a huge migration flying high and south. This was towards the eastern half of SD. Good luck.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
my bad ,how could I forget the beer? a must wilst scouting and a jug of fireball helps

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76