Snow Fences

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where is the ideal location to put up a snow fence to minimize drifting in the areas in red? Black arrow is north, and the black line is the west boundary of the property. The drift in the driveway gets deeper as you get closer to the garage doors.

Snow Drift.JPG

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
road runs SW to NE it appears. other side of the road maybe? unfortunately, i am not certain any place on your property will be adequate. you want it upwind of the problem quite a ways i think.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
With out any trees wind is going to swirl around house and I don't see anywhere a snow fence will help. Its North Dakota your going to have to live with it.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like this. Blue is fence, white is snow. According to my diagram, and calculations, and based on historical weather patterns, if you build this many snow fences in these exact areas (I can provide coordinates for a fee), you should only see snow in the indicated areas. The snow across the road is if you plow. If not, you'll see a little in your driveway...not much though.

InkedSnow Drift_LI.jpg

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
The property directly to the NW has quite a few trees that create some drifting in the ditch across the road, but there is a large shelter belt a few hundred yards away that seems to create some swirling and causes the snow to come in from the west. Would it be worthwhile to put up a fence parallel to the driveway 80-100ft away? That's about the only area that I can think of that "may" do some good.

On a side note, my neighbor just put up two small fences on each side of his driveway about 10ft off either side. I can't wait to see the pile that he gets there.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would a person be correct if they assumed that roadway to the north is somewhat elevated above your driveway?

If so, you're pretty much screwed.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Mainly a N.W. wind in the winter. I would put it to the N.W. across the road. The problem is as the winter gets longer like last yr the snow will end up on the road first. Then in your yard. You dont want it blocking the road as your neighbors wont be to happy.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
You'd have to keep it as close to the property line (black line) as possible, or if the neighbor gives permission to cross his somewhat of an angle. If you cannot cross the property line, you'll need to get that fence set up 20' from the road's edge (easement). Start building up your county tree service order for next spring and get some bushes & trees growing ASAP.

Remember to keep the bottom of the fence 6" off of the ground and secure it GOOD to the fence posts! I see so many snow fences busted by the ND winds.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like this. Blue is fence, white is snow. According to my diagram, and calculations, and based on historical weather patterns, if you build this many snow fences in these exact areas (I can provide coordinates for a fee), you should only see snow in the indicated areas. The snow across the road is if you plow. If not, you'll see a little in your driveway...not much though.

0CCCO3US.jpg

solid plan by the looks of it

see how there’s no snow around the house?

evidence enough for me

good work 338

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would a person be correct if they assumed that roadway to the north is somewhat elevated above your driveway?

If so, you're pretty much screwed.

If anything, my driveway is a bit higher than the main road, so that shouldn't be causing any issues.

- - - Updated - - -

You'd have to keep it as close to the property line (black line) as possible, or if the neighbor gives permission to cross his somewhat of an angle. If you cannot cross the property line, you'll need to get that fence set up 20' from the road's edge (easement). Start building up your county tree service order for next spring and get some bushes & trees growing ASAP.

Remember to keep the bottom of the fence 6" off of the ground and secure it GOOD to the fence posts! I see so many snow fences busted by the ND winds.

I haven't talked with the neighbor yet, but I'm guessing they won't mind if I cross onto their property. It won't affect them in any way.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would try to put up two snow fences at "funnel" angles to create a high-velocity zone that is directed right at the garage/driveway area you most want kept swept clean.

I've often parked pickups in strategic locations and had good results doing that. Wherever the wind gets funneled/increased the snow stays airborne.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I google "snow fence" the usual advice I see is to place the snow fence up-wind 35 times the height of the fence ... thus a 4' snow fence should be 140' up-wind of your driveway.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
You don't need a fence... you need a dome!

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
And out of no where comes ;:;hijacked.........................;:;boozer

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why anyone would lay a property out like that in ND is beyond me. I'd buy a new house if I were you and make better choices next time.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77