Present for Nephew

tigolbitties

Founding Member
Founding Member
My nephew and his dad are going up to Lac Seul on a fishing trip next summer. I am in charge of finding his Christmas gift for this year and am looking for ideas on what he may need for this trip. He has a good rod and reel so he won't need that. Their trip is in June if that helps. I haven't done a summer trip to Canada so I am not sure what to get him. They are not experienced fisherman and might even need some of the basics. Any suggestions on what to get him? He is 10 and loves to fish, so it could even be a reusable item for back in MN.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
About 20 #7 Jig Raps of various colors. Then tell him to watch all the jig rap vids on YouTube. He will be bailing them in.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
A good set of waterproof clothes. Think gortex or other material that can be used throughout the year.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agree with all the above, and also think some crank baits or maybe even just a rod and some good quality line.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
A small hand gun for a kid is always nice!

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Times have changed haven't they. When I was a youngster and going to Canada on our annual fishing trip most of our lures were original Daredevles and Lazy Ike's. One year I brought along some jigs and my dad asked what I was going to do with those. The next year, everyone had a few jigs. Oh, and a good supply of smelt for bigger northern's.

Goretex hadn't been invented so a vinyl poncho kept the rain out and the perspiration in. Those were the good old days. #$%^&>

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
How about a tackle box with some basics provided in it and maybe a gift card so he can go pick out some of his own lures?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Multi-plier if parents are OK with it.

tigolbitties

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the great ideas guys! I like the rain suit, jigging raps, multi-tool, and life jacket ideas. Looks like a trip to Scheels is in order.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
An Auto-inflate life jacket is also a good thought.....

Auto inflate life jackets are great but us coast guard doesnt recognize them for under 16. Not sure about canada but you wouldn't be able to leagally use it in the US till he was 16.

I would go rain gear

bronco

Throw in a pair of the fishing pliers for griping the fishes mouth. lots of teeth in those critters for a young guy

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Lots and lots of barbless hooks and lures. Maybe a leatherman too.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
How about a decent net? The ones that were included in the boats when I was up there, were pretty rough. Then again, it was in the early 80's.

Caught my first fish without a pole, at Sioux Lookout, on Lac Seul. I wandered down to the dock in the morning, while the adults were having breakfast. Found a Lindy Rig laying on the dock, from the night before. Sat on the dock and dropped the hook and blade in. Pike (jackfish) shot out from under the dock and nailed it. Lucky I had the loop around my finger. I hauled him right out. I was so excited! I ran back to the camper, fish-a-floppin.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76