Harmon/Bismarck

WonderBread

Want to take my 3 year old out tomorrow. Is Harmon a cant miss spot or anywhere else within close proximity to Bismarck? Otherwise we will just head to owls.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't been out to Harmon for a few years, but if you find some structure you should have little bluegills jumping out of the holes. You could also run some tip ups in the shallows just out from the boat dock for some northerns.

eseamands

Founding Member
Founding Member
For what it's worth, a friend of mine, his son, and I were out on Harmon on 12/14/2019 from 3:00 to sundown. Moved a lot and drilled quite a few but didn't mark any fish/catch any fish. It was our first time over there, I'm not quite sure where the structure is, so it was a slow grind with no fish to show for it. There was one other person fishing that came over to visit who had seen some smaller bluegill on his camera, but hadn't caught anything. Ice was 8 inches in most places we drilled. Was nice to get the equipment dusted off and make sure everything worked. Was fun and nice to be out despite it being pretty cold.

WonderBread

Thank you guys. That second post makes me think that I will try out there on my own sometime. Anyone ever ice fish cottonwood?

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does it have to be ice fishing? Closest to can't miss I can think of is the mouth of the canal at nelson for bluegill bass and crappie.

Nmariner

Established Member
Never fished cottonwood. But the water was extremely high this fall, not sure how or if that would affect the fishing.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
For what it's worth, a friend of mine, his son, and I were out on Harmon on 12/14/2019 from 3:00 to sundown. Moved a lot and drilled quite a few but didn't mark any fish/catch any fish. It was our first time over there, I'm not quite sure where the structure is, so it was a slow grind with no fish to show for it. There was one other person fishing that came over to visit who had seen some smaller bluegill on his camera, but hadn't caught anything. Ice was 8 inches in most places we drilled. Was nice to get the equipment dusted off and make sure everything worked. Was fun and nice to be out despite it being pretty cold.

I'm surprised that nothing was caught. I fish out there every summer with my kids and we catch tons of crappie. I would have thought it would be great in the winter. Must not know how to fish.

JK you know.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank you guys. That second post makes me think that I will try out there on my own sometime. Anyone ever ice fish cottonwood?

Cottonwood "Lake" is a private body of water, I believe. Cottonwood Park Pond is open to public. I don't know that I'd bother right now, but in the spring, NDG & F dumps in a pile of pike. Lots of good fishing, briefly. There isn't enough food to support several hundred pike though, so later in the fall, I don't know that there's anything to be caught.

I live near there, and have seen holes drilled out on the ice. Have never seen any blood around the holes though, so take that into consideration.

- - - Updated - - -

Does it have to be ice fishing? Closest to can't miss I can think of is the mouth of the canal at nelson for bluegill bass and crappie.

This actually sounds like quite a bit of fun... hmm.

WonderBread

Tried cottonwood. After the long walk, noticed snow on top was a little slushy. Chipped a hole and the ice was nice and clear and about 4” but water wouldn’t stop gushing out so we packed up and that was enough for the kiddo for a day. Guess I’ll stick to owls or scout Harmon out by myself before taking the kiddo.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Crown Butte used to be good for bluegill, etc. action. I know it killed off last winter so not sure if what they stocked this year would be catchable or not...guessing the G&F biologist would probably tell you if you called.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Porsborg Dam in NW Mandan is close too. I have no idea what the fishing is like, however.

eseamands

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm surprised that nothing was caught. I fish out there every summer with my kids and we catch tons of crappie. I would have thought it would be great in the winter. Must not know how to fish.

JK you know.

I have to agree! I've heard quite a few people that have done well with smaller crappie/bluegill and the occasional northern in that lake. I have a feeling if it hadn't have been so cold and later in the afternoon we could have moved to find them. I more-so just went to get out of the house for a bit.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Harmon is a decent sized body of water. I’m sure they are hiding in there somewhere. Could be a night bite.

Danomite

Harmon Lake is convenient because it is close to town but is a Dead Sea at this point. It used to be full of crappie, bluegill, bass and northern pike. The last 2 years something has happened there. I’m not sure what it is or what happened. During calm summer days you would see the water exploding with activity from feeding fish , this last summer it was a glass mirror with rarely a boil of activity. Hopefully it will come back and return to a decent lake for fishing. I know what it’s like taking kids fishing and sometimes when the bobber isn’t going down they lose interest pretty fast lol There really isn’t a lot of options close to town, anything worth going to your looking at an hour to an hour and a half drive.

Danomite

That’s very possible. After the heavy rain this past summer I ventured down below the spill as water was rushing out and it had a very strong sewer smell

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
Off topic kinda but why cant you ice fish mcdowell dam? Seems like a nice close kid friendly spot going to waste..... if its a park board thing i would think talking with the right people could get that changed..... ive done the kids in the car for an hour thing..... hard pass til they get older..... would be pretty sweet to drive 3 miles and ice fish. Make it walk on only and i dont see why this couldnt happen.

WonderBread

Not sure about mcdowell. I think it may be due to hazardous ice conditions. Owls gets the job done but I think the little guy would like to keep a couple fish once in a while.

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
That’s very possible. After the heavy rain this past summer I ventured down below the spill as water was rushing out and it had a very strong sewer smell

could that have been from the blue algae that it got this summer? I live on the south side of it and when we got that strong north west wind it smelt like sewer outside. thought it was my neighbors at first, but figured out it was from the lake instead. lol

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fished it twice. Both times sucked and this was 4 or 5 yrs ago. Go west to crown or sweet both we had better times. Imo put your expectations an hour out and your gold. Lot more opportunities

Sour smell of lakes. Dl same thing I worried about the fish. My parents had a cabin in MN never a sour smell. W

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 76