security doorbell camera thingy

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Which brand/model is the one to have? The only "smart" items in my home are WIFI thermostats. And Royce.

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ring doorbell camera. $100 and works good. No subscription needed unless you want to record the video and save it

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wyze - no subscription offered or needed. Camera is above door - no porch pirate can steal it - Pans if needed - cost 23.99 or 34.99 depending if you want panning or not. Plays to phone and records on SD card.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
we got a RING doorbell last year, it works good, easy to install

here is a live shot:

Screenshot_20191223-094511_Ring.jpg

the only pain about mine was mounted it were existing doorbell was, so don't get a full shot of walkway

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think i put 64gb sd cards or maybe bigger -- thats enough for a week or more recording *you have to read on internet how to format -- otherwise the cam will do a 32gb.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
another neat thing are WiFi outlets, look on Amazon generally 4 packs run about $30 ... a must have if you have Google Home or Echo dot...I think we have 5 or 6 hooked up in the house to voice activate ligths, works great for turning christmas tree off and on too

51SdztTGFCL._SL1001_.jpg

I am not really sold on wifi video cameras in the house, yet .. too many stories of hacking

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wyze - no subscription offered or needed. Camera is above door - no porch pirate can steal it - Pans if needed - cost 23.99 or 34.99 depending if you want panning or not. Plays to phone and records on SD card.

I was given a couple of these yesterday for Christmas. We set them up which was easy. Apparently they will record about 2 weeks to the SD card and then you can set notifications where it will store 15 second clips on your phone when there is activity. Plus notify you when there is movement. I can view what the camera is seeing on my phone. The only challenge right now is that I will need to provide electricity to them. Thinking I will shoot one towards the front door and one towards the driveway.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ring has had problems with being hacked recently I guess. The videos are both hilarious and scary at the same time. YouTube it, there’s quite a few

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ring has had problems with being hacked recently I guess. The videos are both hilarious and scary at the same time. YouTube it, there’s quite a few

that's why I don't like putting any wifi cameras in the house ... but the doorbell on the outside I am fine with, if some one wants to hack and look at my front step all day...more power to them

if they want to yell and taught people coming to my door then that's one less thing I have to do ;)

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
the self-taunting feature has me leaning Ring!!

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a default “get off my porch!” taunt?

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
the self-taunting feature has me leaning Ring!!

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a default “get off my porch!” taunt?

... I haven't looked into it enough, but I believe you can set up your own doorbell sound...I bet you could voice record something...now I have to look, that would be epic!!!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
From what I gather, there isn't much for prosecuting "package thieves" and other mischief, so I'm kind of wondering....What's the point of getting and paying for a camera when it appears to prevent very little thievery or provide any real security?? Royce the wonder pooch and his similar large canine com padres would seem to at least provide something in the way of security.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
From what I gather, there isn't much for prosecuting "package thieves" and other mischief, so I'm kind of wondering....What's the point of getting and paying for a camera when it appears to prevent very little thievery or provide any real security?? Royce the wonder pooch and his similar large canine com padres would seem to at least provide something in the way of security.

And if it's the neighbor kid, or the temporary FedEx guy carrying things off you wouldn't want to know?

Also - if a hotty selling bikinis knocks I might feel like answering - vs. a greasy politician carrying pamphlets.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
You could always leave a package full of Royces poop out front for the porch pirates;)

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
BTW, packages are the least of my worries. Violence or burglary are a concern and I don’t see where a camera or three can hurt.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
And if it's the neighbor kid, or the temporary FedEx guy carrying things off you wouldn't want to know?

Also - if a hotty selling bikinis knocks I might feel like answering - vs. a greasy politician carrying pamphlets.

Knowing and being able to put a stop to it are two different things. I knew the neighbor kids were running over my trees with their snowmobiles, but couldn't do a damn thing about it as I wasn't there when they were there. I'm not against having one, but I question the idea that they provide some kind of "security" or prevent much of anything from happening.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was given a couple of these yesterday for Christmas. We set them up which was easy. Apparently they will record about 2 weeks to the SD card and then you can set notifications where it will store 15 second clips on your phone when there is activity. Plus notify you when there is movement. I can view what the camera is seeing on my phone. The only challenge right now is that I will need to provide electricity to them. Thinking I will shoot one towards the front door and one towards the driveway.

the one has a magnet on it - i placed it on my soffit and we did have a xmas outlet right at that point -- so it was easy - plus under that soffit it never gets wet so i didnt even buy a cover for it. I have one in the garage, one out back. They work and they are cheap compared to the other options.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
You would be surprised just how much a picture will make a person pay attention to what you have to tell him or his dad. The feedback changes from "it wasn't me" to I'm sorry and I promise it won't happen again. That is success in my opinion.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77