Wood-fired pizza oven

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
15772552233662414682452883439672.jpg
Anyone have one of these? Wife got me one for Christmas since I always want to make pizzas. Looks like it could crank out some nice pies, but might send a few to the hopper until I get it figured out.

Uuni 3 Pizza Oven. Burns wood pellets.

Last edited:

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't know something like that existed looks pretty slick.

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dad has the exact one and they work awesome. Only thing is with his I would recommend buying a pizza peel too. You cant really get them in and out without one as small as the opening is. With his you need to rotate them about halfway through cooking too.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This one came with a peel (no handle on it) and some leather gloves. Probably won't get a chance to try it out until the weekend. Supposed to cook a pizza in 60 seconds, but I'm guessing it won't climb to the 900°+ in ND winter.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Caveman has come a longway from roasting Dino over an open fire.:::thumbsup::

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure about the winter but we had it near a 1000° in the summer. Definitely doesn't take longer then about 90 seconds to cook. It's pretty cool to mess around with but we definitely torched the hell out of a couple of our first attempts.

Green19

I've got a pizza oven attachment for my GMG and it's pretty sweet. I do knock back the temp a lil bit and keep that peel spinning the pizza on the stone. Usually pizza done in about a minute or so.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a pizza oven attachment for my GMG and it's pretty sweet. I do knock back the temp a lil bit and keep that peel spinning the pizza on the stone. Usually pizza done in about a minute or so.

Been contemplating the pizza oven attachment. For the price, it kinda seems alright. I can't imagine using it more than 2 or 3 times a year though.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never used an Ooni oven, but based on my experience with other similar ovens, as well as others' experiences using both pellets and gas, I would suggest you look into the gas burner for that thing. Far more convenient, and consistent heat. As well as better flame/heat control to make on the fly temp adjustments depending on how your pie is cooking. Not too mention you can use gas in your garage during the winter (with proper ventilation).

Have fun, it will be frustrating at first, and addicting!

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have one and love it. Make sure if making more than one to let the stone get back up to temp before putting in the second pizza or crust will be a bit doughy. 10-15 minutes will do it.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
A friend has one, he has it figured out to make good pizza. It took awhile to get it figured out. A few notes- Use fruit flavored pellets as the stronger pellets can make your pizza taste iffy. As other have said, there is a recovery time between pizzas. You can usually get two out of them before having to wait but sometimes not. And, rotate often. I have a PizzaQue propane oven and it does not get as hot, 850 in the summer versus 1000 with the Uuni. PizzaQue is a bit easier to use but both produce similar results. Only other items are thin crust and light toppings, they do not do well with thick toppings. And corn meal, use a lot of it to get it off the peel! Like ball bearings for pizza! Good luck!

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member

I was kind of angling for the GMG (with pizza oven attachment down the road), but ended up with this. Grill is still too new to replace, and have a smoker, so probably good that she got me the Uuni. Would have been a couple years down the road on the pellet grill.

The thing that kind of surprised me is everything is manual on the Uuni -- manual light, manual feed. Not a big deal, I guess. Won't be up all night babysitting it like my smoker.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Definitely gotta stay on top of things. Can torch a pizza real quick. Didn't have 00 flour, so just made a regular pizza dough. Stuck with pepperoni, knowing I'd probably burn a couple. Started getting things figured out by the last one.IMG_20191228_163154.jpg
IMG_20191228_164058.jpg

Try again next weekend.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Used to think about homemade pizza, but ... I only eat pepperoni, so. I can call Papa Murphy's and order a large, thin crust pepperoni with double pepperoni, turn the oven to pre-heat it and then get to Papa Murphy's and back in 10 minutes or so. Ten minutes in the oven at 450° and we are eating pizza and watching Tucker or Hannity. All for under $15. No mess, no fuss, no bother. I like the KISS philosophy.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Very nice first attempt!! I've seen much worse!

If you don't want to dick around ordering 00 flour on Amazon, any unmalted (usually organic) AP flour will act similar at high temps. Bob's Red Mill organic AP you can fin in most organic sections of decent size grocery stores, or Walmart sells Arrowhead Mills Organic AP which also works.

Last edited:

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'll keep that in mind for down the road. Ordered flour today since I had to order some wash machine parts anyway.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76