Decade of reflections

3geese4me

Honored Member
As my 2019 comes to a close, I thought it'd be kind of cool to reflect on what what this decade has provided me. It's been a decade of ups and downs but in the end I am a better and happier person I think. My wife and I started a family, bought our own house, I graduated from college, and I separated from active duty Air Force last August and went into the Air Guard. I have started a career as an electrician and after around 8 months of soul searching have found my niche. Many of you probably remember when I was deployed in 2017 and I can't thank everyone enough that sent packages, letters, and pictures. That made an unbearable situation a lot better. This decade was the most trying decade of my life but has also provided me with the most rewarding moments. I've learned to stop focusing on the material things in life and being thankful for a happy and healthy family.

Here's to another 10 years!

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank you for your service 3G!!
..and cheers to you and fam over the next 10.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Glad to hear that your life seems to be on the right track, especially that you're a veteran. My decades are on the downslide as I'll be 70 in a few months. The good side is that I have most, if not all, of what I need and usually want. Years of work as well as play, generally careful spending and dedicated to putting some away for retirement has led to being comfortable where I'm at.

Being able to provide for your family and most importantly, enjoy your family is important. Can't really say which decade has been my best, something good happened in all of them. I know I'm slowing down but still enjoy everything I've ever done. I just don't do it as fast. Have a Merry Christmas.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Take time to smell the roses and enjoy your family. Kids grow up much too soon.
Be a good parent and being a good parent doesn't mean to give the kids everything they want. No means no not maybe. Sometimes failing makes us stronger and wiser! Make the kids earn some things and sometimes earning them takes some time.

Above all love the Lord, your bride, and your kids.

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tend to be more of a look forward than backward kind of guy but taking some occasional time to focus on memories both good and bad can be very rewarding. In the last 10 years, I left a job I hated, got laid off from one I liked and now have one that I love! Crazy how that shit works sometimes. My kids have become young adults and the next decade will see them move into the real world and have families of their own I imagine. What a ride that’s been (I just finished re-learning how to do Calculus to help my son through his dual credit class at BSC, glad it’s over but we spent a ton of time together which was awesome!) I never missed the annual fishing trip with college friends and even made it to a couple of Bullhead Tournaments (I didn’t even know that was a thing 10 years ago!). Who knows what kind of crazy shot is on store for the next 10! what I do know is that I’ll do it along with my best friend and wife who has made the last 2.5 decades the best ever! Surround yourselves with love and the Lord and nothing can keep you down for long. Tight lines all!

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
This's a good thread. I think anybody who reads these posts, with an open mind, can take something to heart. I'm glad too, to report that the past decade has been good to me.

Been in a great neighborhood for 7.5 years, made a LOT of new friends. Many of my "fishing buddies" are people I didn't know a decade ago.

10 years ago I had a 3 yr old, a 1 yr old, and wife taking chemo and radiation. 10 years ago, I was still drinking, and that might be the biggest difference between then and now.

10 years ago I'd never caught a walleye over probably 7 lbs, or 28".

10 yrs ago, I was going to live forever, and wasn't financially ready to do so. Now I know I won't, and I am.

10 years ago I didn't appreciate my family and friends like I do now.

So, all told, the past decade has been very good to and for me.

Jaykay

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
10 years ago I was divorced with an empty nest, no animals, a job that with an employer I lacked trust in, a decent boat, shattered relationships abounded, and had a TINY home in W. Fgo.

Fast forward to now and I am remarried, 2 kids in home full time, 1 off and on, 2 intermittent foster kids, 3 animals, a new home (that I love) in a new town, new career based on the old career, killer boats and boat dealer, and improved relationships throughout my life.

Overall an improvement other than more joint pain, less sleep, and more grey hair.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
This thread reminds me that nothing stays the same. Whether you are at a point in your life where you are flying high or feeling low, it's likely just a phase and it will change soon enough.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't realize how long ten years is until I started to look back. It's been a rough ten years for sure. I've been working lately at getting my balance right. A job good enough to pay the bills, but gives me time to finish school and still have a family life. A couple of highlights...I walked out of my first (and hopefully last) job. Told my boss where she could stick it and left! Not as easy as it sounds...I learned about ice fishing. This was a life-changer for sure. I really enjoy ice fishing. I've grown to love ND and what it has to offer me and my family. I've also reached some all time lows in the last ten years. It's been a real humdinger for sure. Now here's to hoping and working toward some all time highs in the next decade!

Thanks for helping me reflect! I feel like doing this every once in a while helps put things into perspective. Whether good or bad, we can always learn from our past and make things even better for our future!

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
My reflections:
My 2 children graduated high school, graduated college and got married.
I replaced my Yarcraft with a Ranger.
Replaced my Chevy truck with a Ford Truck.
Replaced FishingBuddy with NodakAngler.
Same wife. She's the best but doesn't like sports or to fish much. :(
Quit job of 30 years, started a new one.
Took trips to Alaska and Africa.
Twins didn't win a World Series. :(
Met JayKay, Lapper, DirtyMike, Easemands, and others.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67