knives

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
Hey all!

Looking to get some knew kitchen knives. Tired of owning junk that doesn't stay sharp. Looking to get into a set good knives for cutting meats (like chefs use). Not as concerned about knives for eating with,but more preparation and finished product slicing. Looking for your guys input and suggestions.

TIA,

ktm450

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a rapela fillet knife for preparing and finished meats. Nice and sharp and works great.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve owned a few wusthof knives that have kept amazingly sharp. Received a new set of calphalon knives for Christmas that are crazy sharp out of the box. They look like they’re going to stand up well

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
My set of Chicago Cutlery has held up for 25 years without a hitch. I've had it since my undergrad days in college. When I married Mrs. KDM 19 years ago, she brought with her a set of Wustof cutlery and that set has held up just as well. My wife uses both of those knife sets daily and I sure wouldn't want to be the guy trying to take either of them away from her. Hope this helps.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
try to find Western european or Japanese made

a lot of US companies sold out to china made

for instance - old Chicago cutlery is good stuff - anything made in their name the last couple decades blows

- - - Updated - - -

here is where I'd shop - I buy high end cookware etc. here. Sometimes GREAT deals in their sale section

and no worries about chinese knockoffs

also - pretty much anything on this site is the shizzle

https://www.zwilling.com/us/sale/cutlery-sale/

finally - consider buying the individual knives you want - a nice set looks nice but you will probably pay for a couple knives that suck or don't fit your needs

get the awesome sale version individual knives built for exactly what you do - regardless of brand - make your own set

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
I use a rapela fillet knife for preparing and finished meats. Nice and sharp and works great.

I actually just got one for Christmas! mainly got it for butchering deer, never thought of bringing it into the house and using it in the kitchen. Will give this a try.

I’ve owned a few wusthof knives that have kept amazingly sharp. Received a new set of calphalon knives for Christmas that are crazy sharp out of the box. They look like they’re going to stand up well

I have been reading reviews on the westhof knives. Thinking I need to see if someone local sells them to go check them out. Have not heard of calphalon knives, will look into them aslo. What sets of each do you have, what do u feel is your most/best go to knife from each set?

My set of Chicago Cutlery has held up for 25 years without a hitch. I've had it since my undergrad days in college. When I married Mrs. KDM 19 years ago, she brought with her a set of Wustof cutlery and that set has held up just as well. My wife uses both of those knife sets daily and I sure wouldn't want to be the guy trying to take either of them away from her. Hope this helps.

What is her favorite go to for everything knife? im definitely wanting to get something that's going to last.

try to find Western european or Japanese made

a lot of US companies sold out to china made

for instance - old Chicago cutlery is good stuff - anything made in their name the last couple decades blows

thanks for the info- I have heard that the Chicago cutlery stuff now days isn't want it used to be. staying away from that as I already have knives that don't last.

Made brisket this weekend and the cutting presentation was pathetic. Told the wife its time to upgrade from this junk. Thanks for all the info so far guys. keep it coming

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a block full of Shun Classic's for my wedding, they are pretty amazing. Although I did have a tip break on one of my chef knives. I wasn't too impressed about, have yet to send it in to see how their customer service is.
Bed Bath and Beyond sales, combined with some discount codes, is probably your cheapest bet for the Shun's.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I asked Mrs. KDM to pick her favorite knives and this is what she came up with. These are Wustof knives. PM me if you would like more details and I'll have Mrs. KDM reply. If she could only have two, she'd want the top one for deboning and meat work and the 4th one down for veggies and slicing anything.

DSC03236.jpg

Last edited:

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only wusthof knives I have are the paring knives but they work great and stay sharp. The calphalon I just got a couple days ago so haven’t used them much yet but Dad has had his set for like 10 or 15 years and loves them.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
For big slabs of beast, get yourself a thin, long bladed, scalloped slicing knife. Something like this. Want to be able to get all the way through the meat in the fewest number of strokes

Big Ass Slicer.jpg

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
For big slabs of beast, get yourself a thin, long bladed, scalloped slicing knife. Something like this. Want to be able to get all the way through the meat in the fewest number of strokes

239326429_4900747966618377_6407478247102991955_n.jpg

Wife:
But that won't match the set - so it will look dumb!

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
I asked Mrs. KDM to pick her favorite knives and this is what she came up with. These are Wustof knives. PM me if you would like more details and I'll have Mrs. KDM reply. If she could only have two, she'd want the top one for deboning and meat work and the 4th one down for veggies and slicing anything.

4A92036B-9023-4119-B359-BB179B1EAA9F.jpg

pm sent

thanks I will look into these. that is a nice looking set

that knife has been the single best purchase I've made with smoked meats in mind. Brisket, prime rib, pork loins and ribs are cut flawlessly.

that what im looking for.. really getting into smoking meats, and doing more of the cooking.. cant stand the crap the wife has been using for awhile. lol

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Before having a discussion regarding which knives, you need to have a knock-down-dragout put-your-foot-down no-holds-barred vehement discussion about using cutting boards. If someone in the household is going to ignore knife edges and do their cutting upon plates, platters, and the like then buy yourself a new set of Ginsu's for Christmas every year.

For large chunks of cooked meat, more often than not I use a set of 9" Rapala blades on an electric knife. Roasts, prime rib, beer-can chicken, etc all get the electric. Steady light pressure = straight effortless cuts.

I prefer ceramic sticks in a block vs. a steel, but, I suspect that's because I haven't used a steel enough to be proficient with one. Ceramic sticks in a block are pretty much dummy-proof. Short of having to completely re-establish an edge, the fine sticks will clean up an edge really well.

KDM, tell the Mrs. I'm semi-offended that I don't see the Catfish knife in the pic (grin).

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
that what im looking for.. really getting into smoking meats, and doing more of the cooking.. cant stand the crap the wife has been using for awhile. lol

I got one at capital restaurant supply and it wasn't too bad on price ($60 ish). If I don't use that knife, its a rapala filet knife that can be had for $25-30. I got myself a worksharp to rehab the rest of my collection of college-era knives. My wife doesn't want a knife block on the counter so they get tossed in the drawer and are all dull by the next use.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Med-Rare elk roast/Electric knife cuts:

B7458AB6-9529-4E3A-8E8F-856BB538FD11.jpg

These 2 are Elmax, ~6” of cutting edge and get/stay high-master ninja sharp. They also don’t go into the kitchen except by my hand:

1C12C745-7BB6-45ED-B4E6-571EEC8F7685.jpg

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
KDM, tell the Mrs. I'm semi-offended that I don't see the Catfish knife in the pic (grin).

THAT KNIFE is used for special occasions. She guards that thing like a mama bear guards her cubs. I can't get within 3 ft of it when I'm looking for a knife to use.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75