Truck transmission rebuild

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Need a tranny rebuilt on a 2002 f150. I have no idea what the going rate is for something like this now days. Anybody have a ballpark figure on automatic tranny rebuilds now?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My brother is flying right now I will see what his shop gets in Boise

Srputz

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had one done on a 92 chevy with a 6.2 in it and it was like $2000. That was 10 ish years ago

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Go to a wrecking yard and check their prices on a used one

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go to a wrecking yard and check their prices on a used one
ive been thinking about that. Some good deals on em. Just Leary about it. But many do give warranty. But what a pain in the ass to have to pull it again

sheds

Founding Member
Founding Member
Id rebuild a used 02 transmission is still 17yrs old. Had a rebuild for my dodge a few years ago it was right at $2000.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Need a tranny rebuilt on a 2002 f150. I have no idea what the going rate is for something like this now days. Anybody have a ballpark figure on automatic tranny rebuilds now?

750 for reman tran and 10 hours of labor

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
lol, 17 year old tranny, some stories need to remain untold....

DareDevilDave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Took my 13 dodge to bullet transmission in Minot back in march, $3000 out the door with 18 month 18,000 mile warranty. He put all aftermarket parts like shift kit, valve body etc.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I actually just think it’s the torque converter but damn I hate to pull it and just change the converter and that not be it.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
205k. Been an amazing truck. So first it acted like it was a bad u joint. Clunked when you took the slack out of the drive train. So I changed all the u joints. Didn’t solve it. So I went in the rear diff and found the ring and pinion were kind of pitted and generally showing wear. So I said screw it and rebuilt the diff. Didn’t solve the issues. What’s happening is when your driving it and running low rpms and it shifts or torque converter goes in and out of lockup it sends a nasty shutter through the truck. Makes a clunking noise too. If your accelerating hard it really doesn’t do it. But if your just tooling along really light on the gas at lets say 50 and kinda let it shift up and down it’s horrible. I don’t notice any tranny slip or anything. Can pull a trailer no problem unless your hovering around the shift point and it shifts. What I actually think it is is when the torque converter goes in and out of lockup. I’m just really up to speed on how torque converters work exactly.

Icumpd

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pull the drive shaft out of the transfer case and clean the splines really good on the drive shaft and as much into the transfer case as you can. then take some good grease and give the splines on the driveshaft a good coating. reinstall and drive it. see if that gets rid of the clunking and noticeable slack on the drivetrain. However a shutter in the drive train sounds like a torque converter. I would flush the transmission and the coolers, run it, then flush it again. Torque converter could have a build up of sludge throwing it off balance. I would flush two to three times first before pulling a transmission.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pull the drive shaft out of the transfer case and clean the splines really good on the drive shaft and as much into the transfer case as you can. then take some good grease and give the splines on the driveshaft a good coating. reinstall and drive it. see if that gets rid of the clunking and noticeable slack on the drivetrain. However a shutter in the drive train sounds like a torque converter. I would flush the transmission and the coolers, run it, then flush it again. Torque converter could have a build up of sludge throwing it off balance. I would flush two to three times first before pulling a transmission.
Is the flushing something I can do or do I need a shop with the fancy tools. Maybe your saying change the fluid and run it a bit then change it again?

Icumpd

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you can pull the transmission pan off and then put it back on. Clean the pan while it's off and then reinstall it. Also if you have access to a air compressor take the tranny lines off and blow the cooler out. Make sure you are not using more then 60psi. the last time you out the pan back on clean the magnet and pan really good and replace the tranny filter. Hopefully this will help you. Going to cost a little bit for all the fluid and the tranny filter kit but its cheaper than replacing or rebuilding it. Not guaranteeing it will solve the issue but I would try that first.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yea I had been gonna service the tranny. Been awhile since it’s been done. Thanks.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77