Beef Loin

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
is it worth it to cut your own filets and what ever else you can get out of it?

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What is the price/lb as a whole versus the loin? and does the price of the loin include the bone? If you're just buying the loin you're buying ribeye's or rib steaks and T-bones.

I just buy the steaks as my butcher will cut them to my choice of thickness and ribeye or rib steaks. No extra cost for cutting.

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is the price/lb as a whole versus the loin? and does the price of the loin include the bone? If you're just buying the loin you're buying ribeye's or rib steaks and T-bones.

I just buy the steaks as my butcher will cut them to my choice of thickness and ribeye or rib steaks. No extra cost for cutting.

this made no sense to me whatsoever. Whatever the actual question is I would say yes. A “T-bone” is an over priced joke that you’re paying extra for because the “bone gives it flavor.” You are much better off skipping the tbones and having your butcher give you separate New York strips and tenderloins. The tenderloin is the gold no need to make it last longer/go farther by attaching it to part of the vertebrae and a New York strip...

- - - Updated - - -

I should say this though....the one good thing about a tbone is occasionally you can find them on sale like I did tonight for 6.99/lb. you’ll never find good filet at that price. Basically I cut the filets off the tbone and pan sear them in cast iron for a meal and then cut the strip side off and grill them for a different meal, otherwise I’d never pay more than 7bucks for a tbone

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
is it worth it to cut your own filets and what ever else you can get out of it?

I would say that it depends on your family size and usage of said roasts. It's just the wife and I now and I would never spent $100 on a boneless rib roast for 10 or more steaks. I would prefer to buy ribeye steaks on sale at a dollar more than eat home vacuum packed frozen steaks. If you have a wife and 2 or 3 teenage children so that you can go thru the roast in 2 meals, that's different. When we were first married my brother and I split a half a beef. In thinking back, I'm not sure that was the right thing to do. At this stage of our lives we buy today to eat tonight or tomorrow. Not much comes out of the freezer.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Don't want any bones in it, want to cut Filet Mignons and some tenderloins

rslavik

I was a meet cutter for 15 plus years. First off a filet mignon is the same thing as a tenderloin it just has a slice of bacon wrapped around it. When I was was in the meat business I liked selling fillet mignon because at that time (80's-90's) I could get $16.99 per pound for a slice of bacon instead of $2.49 per pound. I made my boss a lot of money. If you buy a bone in SHORT loin (where you get porterhouse and t-bones from) and decide to bone it out your self you will not save that much (depending on the cost per pound). Example: take a 20# short loin and cut the strip off and the tenderloin off and cut into steaks you might only yield 14-15# of meat after trimming the fat and the bone off to get it to the same cut as the steaks in the case. 20# loin at $6.99 per pound = $139.80 divided by your yield of 14# and it cost you $9.98 per pound for a New York steak and $9.98# for tenderloin steak. That said when you figure it out you save on the tenderloin, but if you buy NY's on sale you will pay about $2 a pound more for the NY's. You do save a little in the long run but not a lot. The drawback is that if you get a short loin that is not very tender (and it happens) you have a lot of tough steaks to eat.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good First Post there rslavik. Thanks and Welcome to the fray!!

rslavik

Hey Rick, Are you killing any coyotes?
called in 4 at one stand on Saturday but I think the guy with me moved. 2 were coming full force and all of a sudden they went sideways. o well still fun. How about you?

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was a meet cutter for 15 plus years. First off a filet mignon is the same thing as a tenderloin it just has a slice of bacon wrapped around it. When I was was in the meat business I liked selling fillet mignon because at that time (80's-90's) I could get $16.99 per pound for a slice of bacon instead of $2.49 per pound. I made my boss a lot of money. If you buy a bone in SHORT loin (where you get porterhouse and t-bones from) and decide to bone it out your self you will not save that much (depending on the cost per pound). Example: take a 20# short loin and cut the strip off and the tenderloin off and cut into steaks you might only yield 14-15# of meat after trimming the fat and the bone off to get it to the same cut as the steaks in the case. 20# loin at $6.99 per pound = $139.80 divided by your yield of 14# and it cost you $9.98 per pound for a New York steak and $9.98# for tenderloin steak. That said when you figure it out you save on the tenderloin, but if you buy NY's on sale you will pay about $2 a pound more for the NY's. You do save a little in the long run but not a lot. The drawback is that if you get a short loin that is not very tender (and it happens) you have a lot of tough steaks to eat.

On the plus side however, if you buy that whole short loin and age it to your desires, you may...may.. have a very good loin and tender steaks. Then again, if you start gobbling up your steaks and loins without the benefit of aging, you very well may get less than tender steaks. Age is your friend.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
And this is why this site rocks.

Underneath all the childish (appreciated) humor, there's always someone in the know that helps us regular schmoes out with their expertise. Love it!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yep you have to age (Rotten) it just right to get it to taste wonderful. Who would have guessed.:;:thumbsup

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Muscle tissue= tough steak. Aging breaks down the muscle tissue thus making for a more tender steak...all things considered.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75