NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,911
    Given: 1,831
    Classifieds
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Roosters View Post
    I will second the Hawk comment! We hunted the Esmond, Anamoose, Drake, McClusky, Mercer area Saturday/sunday. A few years ago, I owned a hunting shack in McClusky area so hunted that area fairly regularly. Bird numbers are down. Our usual tried and true locations of yesteryear did not produce anywhere near what we experienced a few years ago. Not even close. Other areas, same thing. Birds are down in that area. Although there is still corn and beans standing, we were not seeing birds even on posted land, farmers yard birds, or even ditch parrots on gravel roadside. It will be interesting to see once corn and beans are off. One thing we did notice was the number of hawks...seemed to be everywhere. While we didn't run across any coyotes, hawks were a different story so besides the lack of habitat, I believe predators are having a big impact as well. Loss of habitat, less than ideal weather, and predators are creating a perfect storm the last number of years. Hope it turns around that is for sure.
    Mind you using areas like drake and annamoose as a barometer is not exactly the best location to pick. Up until about 2000 never saw Jack s*** for birds around that area.

The Predators definitely take a toll but I'm pretty sure if someone makes a graph overall Predator numbers and places it next to Pheasant population Trends and then make a graph of overall pheasant populations and weather trends and I bet you'll find the second one has a hell of a lot more correlation to the Pheasant population than the first. As was already pointed out coyotes are generally good for ground-nesting bird population since they tend to knock down the other predators that go after the ground nesters with Fox being number one. Where as coyotes will eat a duck or a pheasant if they find it well they look for small mammals foxes will actually target them. These same arguments were played out at nauseam in the late nineties as well after a couple bad winters knocked the Pheasant population to hell and back people were screaming about too many hawks and coyote and one-legged mongooses or whatever the latest demon was to account for the down population instead of the obvious fact that we had some really crappy weather in it took a heavy toll.

As for the people that talk about pheasants had to come from somewhere there for pen-raised birds will eventually work are leaving out the fact that pheasants originally came from relocated wildstock not pen-raised Birds. Relocated wildstock has a drastically higher success rate when being released into an area compared to pen-raised and that includes bringing them over from China in the first place. Now if you have good habitat and the proper climate and absolutely no birds then 3% success rate will be certainly drastically better than zero and you'll eventually get there unless they get wiped out by some secondary cause but if you have wild birds there it just doesn't pay to play the wild birds will get you back eventually and do it for a hell of a lot cheaper and faster.

0 Not allowed!

3. Back To Top    #103
    VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,362
    Given: 1,723
    Classifieds
    Mind you using areas like drake and annamoose as a barometer is not exactly the best location to pick. Up until about 2000 never saw Jack s*** for birds around that area.

I don't see anywhere in my post that I considered drake anamoose as the best location for a your barometer Dean. I hunted the area quite consistently along with McClusky/Mercer/Turtle Lake area for the last 10-15 yrs with success so I was using that as MY barometer of what I have NOT been seeing the last couple of years. Just wanted to clarify that. While it may not be like the SW, I did just fine thank you very much. Carry on.

1 Not allowed!

4. Back To Top    #104
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,514
    Given: 36
    what’s left of any remaining crp will be gone soon so bird numbers won’t ever be what we’re used too. I still think there will be good numbers again eventually just not insane numbers.

1 Not allowed!

5. Back To Top    #105
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,811
    Given: 1,964
    Classifieds
    i think hawks and owls are cool

0 Not allowed!
    Carson Wentz= GOAT
    ”My balls was hot” Derick the black beast Lewis

6. Back To Top    #106
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,188
    Given: 917
    Yeah, hawks and owls have just been showing up in numbers over the past few weeks on their migration south. Not sure why people go afield in the fall every year and comment on how many hawks there are...the hawk and owl migration follows the same general pattern every year.

2 Not allowed!
    "Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." Mark Twain, speaking on Congress.

7. Back To Top    #107
    Premium Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 325
    Given: 1,189
    Had an out of state hunter tell me it was all the hawks in the area, that's why we have no pheasants, just laughed it off, up ok that's the reason

0 Not allowed!

8. Back To Top    #108
    Premium Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 903
    Given: 656
    Classifieds
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurtr View Post
    i think hawks and owls are cool
    Especially the way they explode... I've heard...

0 Not allowed!

9. Back To Top    #109
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,811
    Given: 1,964
    Classifieds
    Quote Originally Posted by SupressYourself View Post
    Especially the way they explode... I've heard...
    For some reason birds of prey have always really interested me. Sitting on a hill watching a hawk soar while glassing mule deer is about damn perfect day

2 Not allowed!
    Carson Wentz= GOAT
    ”My balls was hot” Derick the black beast Lewis

10. Back To Top    #110
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,188
    Given: 917
    Hell ya, especially if it's a golden eagle. I've always admired that badass of the sky!

0 Not allowed!
    "Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." Mark Twain, speaking on Congress.

11. Back To Top    #111
    Premium Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,077
    Given: 638
    I saw this one on my facebook feed.

0 Not allowed!

12. Back To Top    #112
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,911
    Given: 1,831
    Classifieds
    Well saw more birds today then all the birds I've seen since June combined times a whole lot! Needless that say it never hurts when you stop to take a piss and somehow managed to flush 50 of them not to mention the better part of 30 Grouse in the same group talk about it klusterfuk if you were trying to pick birds. But even excluding that group I saw dramatically more birds today than any other day with multiple groups of 2 to 10 Birds out and about doing their thing and generally trying to bounce them selves off the front of my vehicle. Also saw multiple groups of sharp tails and one group of about 15 Huns so all in all Upland bird wise it was a good day didn't see Jack schitt for Antelope but lots of pheasants.

As for that eagle meme there's some serious flaws in those stats.

0 Not allowed!

13. Back To Top    #113
    Bronze Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 17
    Once again my brother Dean knows what's going on. He is not only the king of everything outdoors, he also knows where to take a leak and give a detailed report for the FB minions. All Hail DEAN! He knows more than you!

Quote Originally Posted by dean nelson View Post
    Well saw more birds today then all the birds I've seen since June combined times a whole lot! Needless that say it never hurts when you stop to take a piss and somehow managed to flush 50 of them not to mention the better part of 30 Grouse in the same group talk about it klusterfuk if you were trying to pick birds. But even excluding that group I saw dramatically more birds today than any other day with multiple groups of 2 to 10 Birds out and about doing their thing and generally trying to bounce them selves off the front of my vehicle. Also saw multiple groups of sharp tails and one group of about 15 Huns so all in all Upland bird wise it was a good day didn't see Jack schitt for Antelope but lots of pheasants.

As for that eagle meme there's some serious flaws in those stats.

0 Not allowed!

14. Back To Top    #114
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11,499
    Given: 11,075
    Classifieds

2 Not allowed!
    Last edited by guywhofishes; 10-18-2018 at 08:22 PM.
    True freedom is not the ability to do whatever one wants or as one pleases without restraint, rather, true freedom is the ability to do what one ought to do.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456