Eurasian Collared Doves

dbllung

Founding Member
Founding Member

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shoot them with the air rifle while they graze under the bird feeders. If you pluck them while they’re still warm it’s really easy and the skin doesn’t tear. Then gut, and toss in a cooler full of ice and water. Crack cold beverage, repeat 10-15 times. Delicious on the grill and doing a good deed for native species

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Taste like dove. Shot a few down here. Wonder why the die-off??

- - - Updated - - -

I shoot them with the air rifle while they graze under the bird feeders. If you pluck them while they’re still warm it’s really easy and the skin doesn’t tear. Then gut, and toss in a cooler full of ice and water. Crack cold beverage, repeat 10-15 times. Delicious on the grill and doing a good deed for native species

Do anything special before grilling? Salt/pepper? I've got a bird feeder, the kid has air rifle...got me thinking...

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
taste just like dove. A side note that i found out pigeon taste just like dove. They were decoying into the roto dove great and kid shot the shit out of them with the rule he has to eat them. He wont stop hounding me about making some more bacon wrapped pigeon

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rural pidgeon tastes like dove. Stay away from urban pidgeon, they taste like the garbage dump they eat from, damn ghetto pidgeons!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rural pidgeon tastes like dove. Stay away from urban pidgeon, they taste like the garbage dump they eat from, damn ghetto pidgeons!

I always wondered that but nice thing about living in the middle of no where every thing is rural haha

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mostly collared doves here in this little town, like said before noticeably larger. Remember pigeon(squab) is high class everywhere but here.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do anything special before grilling? Salt/pepper? I've got a bird feeder, the kid has air rifle...got me thinking...

Gallon zip top bag, drizzle of olive oil, cajun seasoning. Let them hang out for a few hours in the fridge, then put them on the grill. Try to pull them before the breast meat gets past medium or so.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
This has carona virus and lime disease written all over it

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
just like dove and you can hunt them year round. my mom could make pigion breast tast great, bread the breast and brown then cook in cream,

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
just like dove and you can hunt them year round. my mom could make pigion breast tast great, bread the breast and brown then cook in cream,

Are you sure about that nowadays? I know at one point the NDGF thought of them as an invasive species, but nowadays I thought they lumped them in with Mourning Dove for limits, etc.

All I know is I really hate the SOBs. Their call is akin to fingernails on a damn chalkboard. Right up there with the damn bluejays.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you sure about that nowadays? I know at one point the NDGF thought of them as an invasive species, but nowadays I thought they lumped them in with Mourning Dove for limits, etc.

Not sure how they can regulate an unprotected invasive, but you are correct. Collared doves count against your mourning dove bag limit

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think it's because hunters are considered too dumb to properly identify the difference so they'll accidentally shoot mourning doves out of season.

Unfortunately, they're probably right. :)

But hey - that's what fines/penalties are for.... dealing with the dummies.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member

All I know is I really hate the SOBs. Their call is akin to fingernails on a damn chalkboard. Right up there with the damn bluejays.[/QUOTE
maybe im wrong about nd I may have been thinking of montana I know there are a invasive species there with no limit.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
So if it's outside of mourning dove season and you're simply eradicating some eurotrash interlopers in the backyard, you should be fine. But only 15 per day during dove season

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So if it's outside of mourning dove season and you're simply eradicating some eurotrash interlopers in the backyard, you should be fine. But only 15 per day during dove season

That's the way it is here. Hunt em year round if you want, but during dove season they count in your 15 daily bag limit.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can shoot collard dives year round in ND?!? I did not know that. With the early snow cover I would imagine they probably starved to death not being able to get to ground seed

- - - Updated - - -

I should have read the article. It say mourning doves are preferred over collard dove by hunters. I’d rather have the collards way bigger and taste the same

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75