Vexilar FL-18 vs FL > 18 ???

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been meaning to get a Vex for a while now, so I went the FL-18. Looks really simple to operate, and it seems to me the other higher end models have the same features, just maybe a little better display with and colors. For the money I thought that the FL-18 was my best option. Was I right or should have I got the FL-20? 28?

BTW I used my Cabelas Club points so the entire purchase was FREE!! And they matched Scheels price which was $40 cheaper than they were priced at Cabelas. Oh and they knocked 5% off for being a Black card holder!!

mills423

You won't have any issues. Good locator for the cost. Durable and if you got the Genz box they are easy to keep in good shape.

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am not trying to hijack this thread, but I would appreciate some other insight from guys more in the know than myself. I'm in the market as well... What are your thoughts about Marcum vs Vexilar? What does a guy need to get set up with the garmin livescope?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
You won't have any issues. Good locator for the cost. Durable and if you got the Genz box they are easy to keep in good shape.

It came with the Genz pack, blue one. I din't get the soft pack yet. Don't think I'll need it, and can always get it later.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had a 18 for years. I kept it and upgraded to the 28 as I "needed" a second flasher so I didn't have to share with my wife. The display and separation are hands down better on the 28 but until I used a 28 I didn't think I needed it. The 18 is certainly a good buy and will do what you need. The 20's/22's always seemed confusing to run to me. Grab one of those mag shield covers. They help keep it clean and magnify the screen a little bit. I thought it helped out a lot.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had an 18 for many years, an 8 before that. I sold my 18 last year and got a 28. Huge improvement between the 8 and the 18 but minor improvement from 18 to 28 IMO. I think you got the best bang for your buck with the 18. After I started using my 28 I was kinda kicking myself for not keeping my 18 and using the money I spent on the 28 to buy something else. The 18 will actually shoot through ice better than the 28 which torques me off. Now I have drill holes to check water depth nearly every time.

Btmbncr

You can't go wrong with the 18! I have the 18 and 22. You will really like the zoom feature. I put on a DD-100 on the 18. Its a combination battery level and digital depth readout. It enables a person to read thru the ice with a quick depth readout. It's like the credit card commercial......don't leave home without it!

nybs

Honored Member
I made the same upgrade last year...wanted a new unit and an extra unit so I could leave one at the cabin. So far I’m pleased...unfortunately haven’t fished enough w the 18. Hope you like yours and put it to use!

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've had an 18 since they first came out. Couple years ago I backed into it with truck-crunch- and sent it in for a refurbish. I think Vex charged me about $50 and it was like new. I carry it in a 4 gal. plastic pail with a foam piece in the bottom and a lid. Makes a good case and you can set the flasher on top of the pail in the house.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had the 20 for 4-5 yrs now. I like it but decided to buy an ice ducer and genz box for my Helix 5 and put in ice fishing mode. Liking that one as well...as you can see from the pic, the 20 was in the pickle bucket taking a break. haha My trusty Springer was keeping me company this day.
Fishing.jpgBird.jpg

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Upgraded from the FL-8 to the 18 Pro Pack this year...love it! Obviously the zoom feature and clarity of the display is amazing...great unit IMO. Nxt mentioned the mag shield above...may have to pick one up.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
s-l500.jpg

I got one of these years ago, and it shoots through the ice. Very handy not having to drill holes to find a drop off! Hard to believe a 28 wouldn't shoot through the ice. I'm glad I got the 18, shouldn't ever need to upgrade. I can't remember what I paid for the handheld, but it seemed a lot cheaper than what they want for them now.

- - - Updated - - -

I have had the 20 for 4-5 yrs now. I like it but decided to buy an ice ducer and genz box for my Helix 5 and put in ice fishing mode. Liking that one as well...as you can see from the pic, the 20 was in the pickle bucket taking a break. haha My trusty Springer was keeping me company this day.
59F36782-2C0F-4D18-871C-28743DA9937C.jpgcali.jpg

Looks like a Zack Shack...Nice I really like your set up, except for that little kids chair. LOL

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
I have 2 18’s that are 15 plus years old, they have been used and abused from day one. They always work, even after they bounce out of sled. Lots of nicer ones out there as far as features and screens, but not sure if they make a tougher one. If one of these should puke on me I would get one with a lake map feature.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've fished with a 22, a Marcum LX6, a Humminbird Ice 45, and now my Helix 5 in flasher mode.

I used to look at them for functionality and speed. I like flashers that have dials to turn. IE, adjust zoom, gain, interference. It's much quicker than pushing buttons on a Marcum or other digital flashers. I think Vex has better target separation than my Ice 45, but i liked the bigger display on the Ice 45. My helix 5 is relatively easy to adjust the settings and once dialed in after a few button pushes she's flawless.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Vexilars at sportsman’s warehouse were 25% off online last til one I looked. Fl-18 were going for 299

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
The18 is really all ya need,great target seperation 3/4" in zoom mode(bottom 6' for those bottom hugging eyes compared to the fl8 2.5"s,other than a flat screen (which scratch easy) on the 20's on up no advantage for hard water,infact the old 8's /fl12's work just fine w/o zoom once ya figure them out.marcum lx5 I tested years ago when new had nothing over the vex except a 5 color screen,marcum uses the same or did use the same ice ducer with 400 crystals and a bunch more power(2000watts) they claim for mid water column zoom,you can see the same stuff on all vexilars no need for mid water column zoom imop.

Also if your a run and gun type icefisherman that likes to hole hop consider gluing a 1" or 2" piece of styrafoam to your unit base,makes a better base hole hoping so your unit won't slide around but more importantly saves the battery life,cold draws the battery down twice as fast out in the open.

Oh the 18 also has the L/P (low power)mode which marcum does not,comes in handy for shallow water fishing and fertile lakes with "zoo plankon" that will fill your screen at night with clutter.

few thoughts

Last edited:

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I ran a 18 for 7-8 years and loved it. Until I used a buddies 28. Yuge improvement over the 18 if you really know how to operate a vex. I bought a 28 as soon as they were on sale. The 28 is digital, has auto depth, much quieter, easier to see screen on sunny days, 1/4" separation, and more Im probably not thinking of. I can see if my minnow falls of my lure and even my tiny swivel I use between my braid and fluorocarbon line which is something I couldnt do with the 18.
To me it is well worth the money to get the 28. I have a Lowrance mounted on my quad for contours and maps so I dont need/want a Helix unit.
Also, i just upgraded to the Dakota Lithium battery. It saves 3.16 lbs over the regular vex battery. Yes, I weighed it.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gosh tommy we could read euro larva on our fl8's,and why use braid icefishing? ,but to each they're own nice clear mono tied direct to jig,one less thing to have happen with a bad knott but thats me.oh and yes we can see our minnow head on our 18 just fine but most folks can't because they have the gain cranked way up so the jig looks bright red
I ran a 18 for 7-8 years and loved it. Until I used a buddies 28. Yuge improvement over the 18 if you really know how to operate a vex. I bought a 28 as soon as they were on sale. The 28 is digital, has auto depth, much quieter, easier to see screen on sunny days, 1/4" separation, and more Im probably not thinking of. I can see if my minnow falls of my lure and even my tiny swivel I use between my braid and fluorocarbon line which is something I couldnt do with the 18.
To me it is well worth the money to get the 28. I have a Lowrance mounted on my quad for contours and maps so I dont need/want a Helix unit.
Also, i just upgraded to the Dakota Lithium battery. It saves 3.16 lbs over the regular vex battery. Yes, I weighed it.

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gosh tommy we could read euro larva on our fl8's,and why use braid icefishing? ,but to each they're own nice clear mono tied direct to jig,one less thing to have happen with a bad knott but thats me.oh and yes we can see our minnow head on our 18 just fine but most folks can't because they have the gain cranked way up so the jig looks bright red

Who the heck uses mono for ice fishing?!?!?!

Arent you supposed to have the gain turned all the way up?!?!?!?!

Maybe some day you will be able to take me fishing with your 1960's technology and teach me a thing or two.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Vexilars at sportsman’s warehouse were 25% off online last til one I looked. Fl-18 were going for 299

I just looked and they were $359.99, that's another $30 cheaper than Scheels had them!! Damn it could've saved maybe another $30 in points!! Maybe I still can lol. Their Soft packs are on sale too.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 101
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63