Looking for Mr Heater advice

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last time out I spent about 14 hours in my 3 man insulated popup hub. We were dressed in bibs so till close to morning we got by on the low setting of my mr heater burner. I had the ventilation openings on both ends of the roof open and at times I felt like i maybe had mild symptoms of carbon monoxide so I opened the triangle window from the top about 3 or 4 inches on the upwind and downwind sides. I worried if I opened the windows much more we would have to turn the heater up more and be pumping even more fumes out. Now that Im home Im wondering if i should have propped open a hole under one side of the floor to get it to draft up some from the bottom but wonder if that would make it feel more drafty in the shelter. So I was wondering how most of You handle the ventilation in a popup so you don't have to worry about kicking the bucket.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get a battery operated CO detector that monitors PPM of CO and bring with you next time. It will let you know what is actually happening vs what may be all in your head. You can vent accordingly and have an alarm if CO gets too high.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the one I bought:

[h=2]https://www.amazon.com/Kidde-Battery-Operated-Monoxide-KN-Copp-B-LPM/dp/B004Y6V5CI/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Kidde+Battery-Operated+Carbon+Monoxide+Alarm&qid=1581359708&sr=8-3[/h]

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you keep it down low or head high? I guess i dont know if that stuff accumulates from the top or bottom.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
my first portable -- nobody really had a good heater --- i used a open flame burner. You would get done with the day and your lungs hurt.

I have more problems with my buddy shutting off --- i could fall asleep and low and behold wakeup cold.

man in the box

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've told this story on here before, but better to be safe than sorry...

Have to add a story of how I almost messed up big time. About 20 years ago, I was on a little lake all to myself sitting in my Clam Jr. (the 4'x6') suitcase. Had the propane heater fired up and the lantern was on as well. Having a couple cold ones and listening to tunes, I went to fire up a smoke. Dang I thought, my lighter is out of fluid. Jump out of the shack and head to the pickup to use the cigarette lighter. I just happen to flick the lighter again and it lights right up...weird I thought. Another hour and a half goes by and I go to light another smoke. Lighter won't light...that's when the light bulb went on in me head. I quickly opened the door and sure enough the lighter fires up on the first flick. I don't know how much oxygen is needed for a lighter to work, but I'm guessing I was getting pretty close to the danger zone. Needless to say, I always make sure there is ample ventilation in any house I'm in from now on.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
^The buddy shuts off because the low oxygen sensor. Would you rather wake up cold, or not wake up at all?

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys gotta get up and go check minnows on your outside lines A LOT MORE OFTEN.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a friend back in the day of our first portable homemade portable fish houses. He was fishing with his sunflower heaters going and cooked on it too. He got up and took a step to the door and didn't have any legs. Luckily he fell out the door and we heard him and came over. He couldn't have had much oxygen left in the house. Still gives us the heebee geebees to this day thinking about it.
He said he had a terrible headache for 2 days after that.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The O2 sensor will shut them down, but certainly don't rely on it for an overnight. You would have better off opening the Windows more and turning the heater up.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I cant stand to be around a mr heater or a buddy heater in closed spaces anymore withut feeling sick. I think i spent too much time in a otter with mr heaters.

RPNLPS

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You guys gotta get up and go check minnows on your outside lines A LOT MORE OFTEN.

I’d say!!!!! Lol!!! Not funny!!! but still be safe out there People and even if your hi on pot check your dam minnows outside more often ,,,,sheeeesh !!!!!!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I looked up the specs on my Mr. Heater one time and discovered that the purest burn for the propane is on the "High" setting. The lower you go on the settings, the more incomplete the burn becomes which results in a greater production of "Headache" gasses. I always run my heater on High and then shut it off when I get too warm or open the doors until it cools off. Propane is cheap and headaches SUCK. I don't sleep in non ventilated propane heated houses. That whole death thing isn't high on my list of cool stuff either. Be Safe out there guys!!!!

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I fired up my Big Buddy Heater the other night when the power went out in our neighborhood. I had the burners on high and my carbon monoxide detector next to me the whole time. Luckily the power was only out for about an hour and a half.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74