How to slow my troll

Fitz

Established Member
When pulling cranks, my 90hp sometimes goes too fast. Trolling motor will get to the perfect speed, but I cant imagine the batteries would last running on 8 or 9 for hours.

I've read about guys using a drift sock under the boat. I'd prefer not to install a trolling plate and a kicker is out of the question.

Do socks work? Anyone with experience? Am I better off upgrading the batteries and using the trolling motor?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
You could always run your bow mount on a low setting pointed in reverse to slow the main motor.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Trade boat in, or sell. Get a boat witb a kicker, problem solved. Or downgrade to a smaller motor.

Fitz

Established Member
Why are you against the trolling plate, if I may ask?

I shouldn't say out of the question. I haven't seen a strong showing of consistent, positive reviews of them. If I knew someone who used one rather than a blind post on Cabelas or Bass Pro might change my mind.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have a buddy who trolls forward with a 90 and ties a 5-gallon bucket to the back. Drills a couple holes in the bottom to help release water. Ties the rope from the bucket to one of the tie-downs on either stern side. Goes slow, cheap, and slows down to the speed he needs. Want to go slower, use 2 buckets.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I shouldn't say out of the question. I haven't seen a strong showing of consistent, positive reviews of them. If I knew someone who used one rather than a blind post on Cabelas or Bass Pro might change my mind.

I have never used one, I just assumed that is the route I would have gone, but that is without looking into it much.

3tt3v

Founding Member
Founding Member
You have NO boat control in wind. I would never recommend one.
Electric to steer with, main motor for forward momentum. Used a plate for years. Now I use a kicker, but there are days the kicker pushes and I steer with the electric.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do what Ahab suggested --- its consistent dont have to worry about hooking your bag or bucket - nor do you have to drill your plate

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I trim my motor up if I only need to slow down .5mph or so otherwise I use a sock.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
When pulling cranks you want to steer with the bow electric anyway. So as mentioned a trolling plate will work fine if you do that.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77