NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,337
    Given: 8,320
    Classifieds

ketosis...

they couldn't come up with a word that would make it more tempting to endure?

0 Not allowed!
    SkegosaurusSteering Systems Pro Staff

2. Back To Top    #182
    VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,035
    Given: 494
    Quote Originally Posted by espringers View Post
    i was gonna get into the ketosis thing. but, figured it would be a bit over the top for this discussion. since someone else brought it up... i was in ketosis about 3 or 4 different times over the course of the 2 weight loss "challenges". it is noticeable and the weight certainly sheds. i am pondering one more attempt before x-mas and then a couple of weeks after x-as. i would really like to hit 175 and hover at 180. then maybe hit the weights and firm things up a bit.

Not sure what time frame your challenges were - how quick was the weight loss?

I know some people can shed a lot at first (5 to 10lbs or more a week) and then it levels out for a while. Of course this seems to be related to how much overweight a person is.

For me, mine was a steady 1 to 2lbs a week and then I stalled for a month hovering at 175 then it picked up again at about 1 to 1.5lbs a week to where I am now.

On another forum, there was one guy who did the all bacon diet for 30 days and lost around 50lbs if I remember right that month. Eating 2lbs of bacon a day for 30 days. Along with that all his numbers (medical - bp, glucose, etc...) all improved.

He was a big guy though - I think close to 400lbs.

0 Not allowed!
    Not too often you get all this neatness in one location. That's called nature.

3. Back To Top    #183
    Gold Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129
    Given: 12
    The most effective way to come into ketosis is through fasting. It doesn't have to be done all in one fast either. I try not to do diets, but instead watch calories like some have mentioned and cut way back on my grains. Lately I do more intermittent fasting, 14-16 hours a day, than anything. Once you get used to it, it's really not that bad. I quit eating between 8-10PM and never eat before noon, mostly because I hate breakfast. Intermittent fasting doesn't have to be done every day either, I shoot for 4-5 and let my weekends be my time to indulge a little bit.

1 Not allowed!

4. Back To Top    #184
    Premium Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 424
    Given: 468
    +70 #'s over the last year. New hi score.

1 Not allowed!

5. Back To Top    #185
    Premium Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 394
    Given: 183
    Quote Originally Posted by espringers View Post
    i've been meaning to bring this up again... i hit a high of 238 after the holidays last year. i shed about 10 pounds in january. then started a 10 or 11 week weight loss competition with my friends in mid february. i shed another 30 during that competition and got down to 198 i think. i hovered there all summer. and did another 8 weeks with some relatives starting labor day monday. admittedly i fluffed up a bit on purpose before the competition started to 206. a lot of that was water and/beer from labor day weekend. i weighed in at the end of the 8 weeks in early november at 182. so, i dropped 55 pounds from january to november. today i sit at right about 190. my fitness pal was an informative app when it came to calorie counting. its amazing how much food you can eat if its the right food. its also amazing how little you have to eat if its the wrong food. you can gorge on vegetables and 4 to 8 ounces of protein if you don't cook it in butter, oil, etc... and still be under 250 calories. on the other hand, add a bit of dressing or oil and you can easily double the caloric intake with just things like that.

i didn't really exercise. i watched what i ate. its a LOT easier to not eat 300 calories than it is to try to work off the same 300. also... i had to dumb my beloved budweiser for busch lattes. 50 less calories and 1/3 of the carbs. nearly the same alcohol content.

Blasphemy!!

Good for you. If people would just stop drinking pop or cut back considerably, the overall health of this country would skyrocket. A guy who drinks a dew or two a day would be amazed at how much weight he could lose and how much better he'd feel without altering anything else.

1 Not allowed!

6. Back To Top    #186
    VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,333
    Given: 130
    Classifieds
    fat&happy > lean&crabby ... JMO

1 Not allowed!

7. Back To Top    #187
    VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Lean & happy is an option too!

0 Not allowed!

8. Back To Top    #188
    Gold Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129
    Given: 12
    Quote Originally Posted by remm View Post

Blasphemy!!

Good for you. If people would just stop drinking pop or cut back considerably, the overall health of this country would skyrocket. A guy who drinks a dew or two a day would be amazed at how much weight he could lose and how much better he'd feel without altering anything else.
    If I were to do the same with beer I could say the same about myself

0 Not allowed!

9. Back To Top    #189
    Premium Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 318
    Given: 358
    Classifieds
    Quote Originally Posted by martinslanding View Post
    You must be ecstatic!

1 Not allowed!

10. Back To Top    #190
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,936
    Given: 4,377
    Quote Originally Posted by martinslanding View Post
    I can smell the fields of carbs surrounding the skeet range...

0 Not allowed!
    If you're reading this post and find yourself muttering, "he can't be serious", there's a good chance I'm not.

AKA, Slim Blundt; Pool Turd

11. Back To Top    #191
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,470
    Given: 1,564
    Classifieds
    Quote Originally Posted by bckhntr View Post
    Lean & happy is an option too!
    i concur the lack of energy and just feeling like blob is catching up to me

0 Not allowed!
    "Keep Hammering". Cam Hanes

12. Back To Top    #192
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,593
    Given: 1,043
    Classifieds
    Admittedly, at times during my dieting, I was a zombie. It would come and go. I just had to remind myself to eat. But, eat the right things.

0 Not allowed!

13. Back To Top    #193
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,738
    Given: 1,599
    Classifieds
    I'm up about 6lbs from summer weight. Started cutting calories this week and about to renew gym membership. Working out is a lot easier for me in the winter for some reason. Dark all the time and nothing else to do when you're married with small children.

0 Not allowed!

14. Back To Top    #194
    Premium Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 132
    Given: 66
    Been going steadyish for about 8-9 months now. No real diet plan - just watching closer - less fried and smaller portions are the bulk of it for me. Been working out steady as well. Cardio with weight training mixed in. I am running more now than I ever have. I am to the point now that if I don't work out for a couple days or eat bad for a couple, I feel like shit. It is amazing what your body will get used to. Started at 215 and weighed in this morning at 190. My goal starting was 185. I haven't weighed 185 in almost ten years. I'm 6'1" and 29 years old. Unlike past attempts at diet and other programs, this has been a slow and steady change for me. I don't see myself wanting to stop anytime soon. Best of luck to those attempting something like this. Consistency is key.

5 Not allowed!

15. Back To Top    #195
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,593
    Given: 1,043
    Classifieds
    Yep ^^^ the biggest thing one was able to take away from this was that a general lifestyle change isn't that difficult once you know what needs to be done and get used to it

1 Not allowed!

16. Back To Top    #196
    VIP Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 971
    Given: 1,618
    i started keto on memorial day weekend... i had a customer of mine tell me bout it in may and i checked it out - i'm down from 288 to 211 this morning - it works...

i was taken off my cholesterol meds at 230# (labor day) and had my blood pressure meds cut in 1/2... go back to see the doc on dec 19, and hope to be able to throw the bp meds away at that point...

i haven't weighed 211# for 40 years, and feel great... down from a 40 waist to a loose 33...

my bride also started bout 2 months ago and is down 25-30#...

i do not work out - never did, and have 4-8 vodka and lemon waters per night... have had to sleep in a recliner for the past 3 years (back), and hope to be able to sleep in bed again soon...

was gonna post a psa bout it when i hit my goal, but i saw this thread pop back up, and i've blown past my goal 3 times already - not sure where i'll land, but the rest is gravy for me...

good luck all... if you have to or really want to lose weight, just know that this is the first diet i've ever been on that has worked... it is worth checking out...

5 Not allowed!
    please do not judge me... i'm a minority... a "taxpaying american"...

17. Back To Top    #197
    VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Congrats raider! That’s what I have read about keto is that all that stuff improves and can help diabetics (it might be type dependent - I’m not sure off hand)

i need to to go to a dr and get blood work or whatever needs to be done just to see if I should be doing anything else. Never had that done before.

1 Not allowed!

18. Back To Top    #198
    VIP Member

NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 971
    Given: 1,618
    Quote Originally Posted by bckhntr View Post
    Congrats raider! That’s what I have read about keto is that all that stuff improves and can help diabetics (it might be type dependent - I’m not sure off hand)

i need to to go to a dr and get blood work or whatever needs to be done just to see if I should be doing anything else. Never had that done before.
    thanks... btw, had my blood checked on my last appt and everything but bp was perfect... was told by him and my back cracker that they both had patients (AND STAFF) on keto and all had good results...

my boss is type 2 and was bout 210# and started keto... 2 months later and he is down bout 25#, has cut his meds in 1/2, feels great, and blood sugar is down from bout 150 in the morning to around 80 to 90 now (whatever that means)...

i am not a dr, have no knowledge of medicine, and don't pretend to know enough to give advice... just know from personal cases how powerful this is...

3 Not allowed!
    please do not judge me... i'm a minority... a "taxpaying american"...

19. Back To Top    #199
    Ultimate VIP Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Report Entries
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,470
    Given: 1,564
    Classifieds
    I gave keto a try last winter but losing weight was not my goal as much as performance for my body I need some clean carbs to feel the best. Sweet potatoes are my go to. I know a couple guys who are a beast on it. This is truly a case wear a person needs to listen to their body to know what's right

2 Not allowed!
    "Keep Hammering". Cam Hanes

20. Back To Top    #200
    Premium Member
    NDA Points
    NDA Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 786
    Given: 154
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by huntinforfish View Post
    Been going steadyish for about 8-9 months now. No real diet plan - just watching closer - less fried and smaller portions are the bulk of it for me. Been working out steady as well. Cardio with weight training mixed in. I am running more now than I ever have. I am to the point now that if I don't work out for a couple days or eat bad for a couple, I feel like shit. It is amazing what your body will get used to. Started at 215 and weighed in this morning at 190. My goal starting was 185. I haven't weighed 185 in almost ten years. I'm 6'1" and 29 years old. Unlike past attempts at diet and other programs, this has been a slow and steady change for me. I don't see myself wanting to stop anytime soon. Best of luck to those attempting something like this. Consistency is key.
    This guy gets it. Diets don't work, lifestyle changes do.

2 Not allowed!

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast