Son starting hunter safety

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
My son is not into the outdoors much. Much to my surprise he is really excited to start hunter safety tonight. He says he is super jazzed about getting after his first deer this fall. I can't even begin to say how excited I am about this. I haven't been hunting deer all that long myself. I just took my first buck this past season. I am already looking forward to fall in a way that I never have!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
My gracious Man! It's outside, time with Dad and guns! Your surprise doesn't really compute with me! This is great stuff! There's so much stuff to do together! Gun, ammo, scope, shooting, knife sharpening; the list goes on. One word of "advice" IMHO, when it's sighting in time, bring along a .22 (if you have ammo) or an air rifle. If you see ANY MINUTE/SLIGHTEST INKLING sort of fatigue or negativity in the process; put down the big gun and concentrate on fundamentals with the little gun. If you need some .22 shells, PM to see if I can give you guys a handful or so (I'm not a hoarder, I just have a few extra rds my gun didn't like).

Last edited:

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
My oldest son was really into video games when he was younger. I started taking him with fishing, hunting, and playing more sports with him outside. He is currently limited to 1 hour a day of tv/video games, and he doesn't fill that quota too often any more. The great outdoors can help set kids up with such a great foundation.

Icumpd

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wish I could get my boys off the video games....But at least my daughters both have interest in hunting.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
This thread is making me look to the future with my daughter. 16 month old right now but this daddy cant wait to get his little girl out in the boat chasing down dinner.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Awesome thread! It's great to see father/son relationships build off of hunting and fishing. My boy just told me last night that he's sorry but he can't work at (where I work) when he gets old. Confused at the comment I asked him why and what he was going to do. He then told me that he's going to be a pro fisherman! With a chuckle I told him that we better get some more fishing in if he wants to be a pro!

I also plan on buying him a decent compound bow and a kids .22 so we can see where that takes his desires! Love having my little outdoors buddy!

Thanks for sharing Lapper!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I have 4 kids, 2 are grown and starting their own things. 2 are at home yet and have the on again off again love affair with fishing/ hunting.
Early season in the boat, they are both all in, heat of summer they are both out, later in the fall back in.
The key is to keep the boat full of snacks, possibly a game or music or something, and if they say they want to quit, call it a day.
If you over do it, they wont want to do it.
My youngest (only son) will put more into it, and he loves to come with me and the dog hunting, deer hunting, ice fishing sometimes.

The golden rule is if you know its going to be a long and tiresome trip, or event don't let them come with. Worst thing you can do is make what should be a great day a terrible experience. Also if they goof up a netting job or hook set, never be negative about that either.

Only positive comments and nice suggestions should ever be made while out having fun. I watched a friend tare into his son on an outing one time, and he now cant understand why his boy doesn't ever go fishing with him anymore.

Last edited:

7mmshooter

Founding Member
Founding Member
My son is 10 he saved his money sold a bunch of video games and is getting his new bow tomorrow. Hoping he gets to 35 pounds by fall so he can shoot a deer. My daughter at 14 has shot 1 buck with a bow 1 doe and a big buck with her rifle. Nothing better then hunting with kids.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
My daughter starts hunter safety in a week or so. She's excited to say the least. I'm probably more excited to put her in some target rich environments. Probably going to have to do some girls only hunts as she's taking the class with her best friend. That should be a real kick to watch these two new hunters.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
The key with kids is to get them started young. I've said it before, age 14 or whatever it is, is too late. Especially for girls. In between regular 'girl things' and sports, it's easy to lose interest in hunting by then. Start them early. We have a mentor tag down here that I think starts at age 10. It is also available for non-residents. We should all be contacting our local reps about getting rid of age related rules for something so basic as hunting.

BX2

Founding Member
Founding Member
My son has been tagging along since he was 2. hed carry his pop gun and carry birds. It was a good time to teach him basic safety, like don't stick the barrel in the mud and don't use the barrel to poke frogs. Random post# 7

freiday31

Founding Member
Founding Member
My daughter and wife just wrapped up hunters safety and came to my softball game in their new orange beanies. Then left me at softball to have some celebratory DQ ice cream. Couldn't be prouder, but it wasn't nice to tease a fat kid with ice cream.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77