(Portable) tree stand options for public land

Kraken

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm looking for advice on a tree stand that can be brought in and out everytime I hunt. I know some public land you can leave stands overnight like on WMA's but NWR's state you have to take them off over night. NWR's are really under utilized for hunting which is great for the handful of us that bow hunt them, but this is a pain in the rear to haul a stand every time and my sitting in "natural blinds" aka getting eaten alive by mosquitos in some bushes is annoying. The closest I've been to a shooter buck is just under 100 yards and there are some really good trees that put me under 40, but I don't have a tree stand yet. Maybe my name should be West Nile Hunter after this rain and hunting with all the mosquitos in brush...

Any recommendations on a tree stand + ladder to take down and bring every day you bow hunt?

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Converted from tree stands to Ghost Blinds, faster setup and easier to carry/move

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get yourself a lightweight aluminum hang on stand, 10-13lbs, and some muddy aerolite climbing sticks(3lbs each). That is my set up for moving quick and putting stands up and taking them down all the time.

Millennium makes a great stand, the M60U, that is light weight. 13lbs I believe, comes with back pack straps, adjustable seat and platform. For the money, there might not be a better light weight stand out there.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm looking for advice on a tree stand that can be brought in and out everytime I hunt. I know some public land you can leave stands overnight like on WMA's but NWR's state you have to take them off over night. NWR's are really under utilized for hunting which is great for the handful of us that bow hunt them, but this is a pain in the rear to haul a stand every time and my sitting in "natural blinds" aka getting eaten alive by mosquitos in some bushes is annoying. The closest I've been to a shooter buck is just under 100 yards and there are some really good trees that put me under 40, but I don't have a tree stand yet. Maybe my name should be West Nile Hunter after this rain and hunting with all the mosquitos in brush...

Any recommendations on a tree stand + ladder to take down and bring every day you bow hunt?

I just help myself to the dozen or so that other hunters keep up year around illegally on the public land I frequent. Figure if they're too lazy to take them down each day, they won't mind if I borrow one during the actual season.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lone Wolf is another good option for a lightweight stand and climbing sticks. I've never hunted with a ghost blind, but have thought about adding one to my arsenal.

Northwoods

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get yourself a lightweight aluminum hang on stand, 10-13lbs, and some muddy aerolite climbing sticks(3lbs each). That is my set up for moving quick and putting stands up and taking them down all the time.

Millennium makes a great stand, the M60U, that is light weight. 13lbs I believe, comes with back pack straps, adjustable seat and platform. For the money, there might not be a better light weight stand out there.

Millennium makes nice stands, and the "one better" just might be the M100U. Just as light (11.5 lbs), large(er) platform and better seat (back rest). It also uses the bracket/"camlock receiver" that can be left up in multiple trees for quick hanging and removal of the stand. I have a couple and find them very comfortable and easy to hang.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just bought this system for my portable option. Haven't used it yet but cant find a bad review either. I have used climber stands in the past, but after a couple mishaps, I prefer to stay away from them. Plus, a hang on can go more places than a climber. Any lightweight hang on and sticks should work fine for you. I liked the Lone Wolf system as everything packs together nice and can all be carried on my back in one piece.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunt...estands/_/N-1100102/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_104374080

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a buddy that hunted public land almost exclusively and he bought a pair of those pole spikes you wear on your boots. He would bring in a light weight strap on seat and just climb the tree he wanted and set up. Normally he would sit just above a good sized branch, which is where he would stand and put the seat on and also where he would put his feet. He was the most mobile guy I've ever come across, but he was also a crazy SOB when it came to deer hunting. He shot LOTS of really big deer too. He sacrificed quite a bit of comfort and convenience to get the shot. Keep in mind that ALL his shots were from a sitting position and at all kinds of weird angles so you will need to be proficient with shooting without perfect standing form if you use this method or some other similar method. Good Luck!!!

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
These look neat
image.jpgimage.jpg
https://nd.craigslist.org/spo/5718538831.html

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120