Shoot Some Squirrel

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
...and I wonder how everything would taste in a pot with proper care?...And I wonder how everything would taste in Deercamp...

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Squirrel is very good. Under the front leg (sort of the arm pit) there is some greenish fat. It's a metabolic fat and will make the whole squirrel taste bad if you don't get rid of all of it. At home I just use shake and bake. In camp roll in flour and fry in real butter.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Squirrel is very good. Under the front leg (sort of the arm pit) there is some greenish fat. It's a metabolic fat and will make the whole squirrel taste bad if you don't get rid of all of it. At home I just use shake and bake. In camp roll in flour and fry in real butter.

^^^^^This^^^^^

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
i love fried squirrel... so good... I honestly think it taste like fried chicken... I need to shoot me a couple this fall

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Out here we have a lot of Aberts squirrels. I usually shoot a couple and one of our nice cottontails then after cleaning them put them in a big pot of water and let it slow boil until the meat falls of the bone. I scoop the bones out and put in vegies, potatoes and spices and then let it slow cook.

I have never had anything taste as good as that. I have no idea why the mixture of squirrel and rabbit is soooooo good but anyone that ever has some always asks for more.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
By "everything" I meant a pot of mixed upland. Like 24 said and including birds.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Try stewing and debone meat. Quick saute in butter and garlic, add alfredo sauce and some linguine. Some veggies cooked in the garlic butter are good too.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77