Airline Travel Protection? or no?

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
So my wife and I are looking to head to the Dominican Republic in January for a week at an all inclusive resort. It looks like I can get travel insurance at a cost of about 10% of the trip. On other vacations to Mexico in years past I don't recall us ever getting travel insurance, as I am not a proponent of these types of add ons...not a fan of extended warranties for vehicles, appliances etc, or credit life. Having said that, we have visited with some folks who were damn glad they bought the travel insurance as they ended up needing it.
I am quite sure I wouldn't get the protection if flying just in the U.S. but wondering if the insurance is advised for those vacationing/ flying to destinations outside the U.S.
Any of you have any advice one way or the other concerning travel insurance and if it is a must have?
Thanks!

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have never taken it for the same reasons you are using. Recently had a friend who needed to cancel and he had insurance. That would have been a very expensive trip without the insurance. Not much help but it's the problem with all insurance, it's a pain to pay for until you need it.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check what the change fee with the airline and resorts are. Most likley much lower. Also a good credit card probably has protections for you as well.

Farmer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Find out what reason you need to collect. Remember the big print gives you everything and the fine print takes it all away

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
We never used to get the travel insurance…then we started to purchase it during those probably blizzard months…then we had an unexpected illness in the family, then we had an unexpected death in the family…now we always purchase travel insurance.
…think of it as you’re dropping a couple grand on a vacay…Aunt Ethel passes away…you’re the only family member not there because you are lying on a beach…just say’in

- - - Updated - - -

Check what the change fee with the airline and resorts are. Most likley much lower. Also a good credit card probably has protections for you as well.

...on any out of country trip it pays to have a good travel agent...and for a few extra bucks your good travel agent will make sure your trip insurance works like it is supposed to...
...have you tried calling an airline help desk?
...have you tried calling an out of country carribean resort with broken english speaking help?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I vote yes on the travel insurance. I had to cancel a trip last winter and the only thing the cancelation cost me was the cost of the travel insurance itself. Otherwise I got back every single dime.

First time I ever had the insurance that I can remember, and it paid off quite nicely for me. Looking to book another trip this winter and will certainly get the insurance on it as well.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
If u have a risk of not going like health issue then take it. Otherwise change fee is 150 on air wether u used miles or paid cash. Use a resort that can be cancelled

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Daughter and her boyfriend just had a trip planned and turned out he couldn't go. Didn't have the insurance and now they will have it for all trips.
Agreed a good travel agent is priceless and wouldn't think twice about not getting one for a big trip!

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
Headed to Alaska in June, Travel insurance was less than $100/person. I have never used it, but it will be nice to have if we need it. To many variables with 3 flights there and 4 on the way home to not have it. I always purchase the travel insurance.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Decided to take the precaution and purchase the travel insurance. Like with other insurance..better to have and not need than to need and not have. Thanks for the input gang! Gotta love this site for good info!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 156
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 79