Hunting land for sale $376 dollars per acre

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
My guess is that the land had a bunch of perpetual easements on it that prevent any new buyer from doing much of anything to the land like food plots, trees, etc. etc. Lots of hunting land for sale have wetland easements or some other easement that I personally wouldn't touch with someone else's money.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was actually over 1600 / acre of actual land, looking at the description there was only 36 acres of land that sold for $58K, the rest is water or slough the way it looks.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep. Mostly water and had a USFW easement. Guessing some NR bought it for their own duck hunting paradise.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Still cheap hunting land and if the guys a deer hunter now he can get a gratis every year

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm not a landowner, but don't you need 160 acres to get a gratis tag?

Without checking the actual wording of the rule I would suspect that this counts for a gratis tag. I think that filling out the application would require that you list the land and it would something like this SW1/4, Podunk TWP, RANGE etc. That 1/4 section would then qualify as 160 acres even though most 1/4 sections are not actually a perfect 160 acres. All depends on where roads run in most cases.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe Wags is right because not every quarter is 160 minus section line rights of way and roads.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not a landowner, but don't you need 160 acres to get a gratis tag?

Used to be 160 until a few years ago, one quarter is 160 acres in a perfect world but sometimes shit isn't perfect and a quarter turns into 154 acres because a section line isn't square to the earth so a guy would get hosed out of a gratis so they changed it to 150 acres. I know the guy that bitched so much to the game & fish, they had a nickname for him.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cheap is a relative term. It will generate little income every year. But, he will have a place to shoot a deer and a few ducks I guess. But, If he plans to put up a house and live there, then he got a hell of a deal on a pretty big "lot".

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
My guess is that the land had a bunch of perpetual easements on it that prevent any new buyer from doing much of anything to the land like food plots, trees, etc. etc. Lots of hunting land for sale have wetland easements or some other easement that I personally wouldn't touch with someone else's money.

Curious on why you wouldn't purchase land under perpetual easement with the USFW? Ive seen some 160 acre parcels that have a wetland easement but it only pertains to the wetland portion not the highland from my understanding (granted the land Im researching has an easement agreement that was drafted in the early 70's so its not very detailed).. Although there is some language that says the USFW has rights to controlling the hunting/fishing, etc.. But in all reality managing water i.e. drain waters during high years is the ultimate use on the land, so would you really need to worry about hunting rights?? Would suggest getting a lawyer involved with any acquisition but Im guessing the risk is still low..

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wild and Free,

You on the same page? It says,

http://www.farmersnational.com/realestate/search/listing.asp?list_numb=12532

Sold at: $58,000.00
State: North Dakota
County: Nelson
Acres: 154

Sounds dirt cheap. The pictures look good but it may be just the angle.

If anyone was looking for their own hunting property, they may have just missed one.

Yep.
It may be 154 surface acres but still consists of mostly water covered area. Take a look at the first aerial photo.

Cropland 25.00 acresNon-crop 114.52 acres "AKA WATER" Yard 8.00 acresTimber 3.00 acresTotal 160.00 acres

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 76