Trolling motor problems

jmkilber

Hi,

I took the boat out this past weekend and tried to sneak in an hour of fishing. When I got out there I realized the trolling motor wasn't working right. It would start and stop and would only turn left. It really didn't seem to want to go much in the water. I took it out of the water and fiddled with it and it would run for a while but as soon as I would touch the speed or something it would quit. I could just give the speed lever a little push and it would kick in again. Seems like there could be a possible wiring issue in the pedal, but really no idea.

It is a MinnKota power drive, probably 2004'ish model. It has barely been used.

First, anyone else have problems like this? Second, is there someone in the Bismarck area that can work on them? Is it even worth it?

Thanks,

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been there done it , dicked with it for a while asked where to fix it, ended up on Bisman and found another one for cheaper than the fix, and still have the old one still waiting for the fix two years later

Putz ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
No electric motor is worth a missed day in the boat. I HATE the reliability of these things - but you're completely screwed without one. A powerful electric is absolutely essential.

When ever I have trouble, I usually buy a new one and then fix and sell the old one so I don't miss any fishing time. Thank that 2004 for its good memeories and send it on down the road. My 2 cents is all...

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Scheels does repair them. If you think it's the footpedal I have one I'd let go for cheap.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am pretty sure it's the pedal, been there...done that. I had a similar PD in age and the pedal just wore out, it's a metal sliding contact after all. I upgraded mine to an IPilot controller and that took away the ability to use the pedal.

Actually, I am pretty sure I still have a fairly new pedal laying around in my shop somewhere as well. I bought it just before I upgraded to the Ipilot. And now I don't even own the motor.

There is a guy in Mandan that is the locally authorized repairer of Minnkota motors. Great guy!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I also have a foot pedal that I never use after I put on co-pilot.

jmkilber

Thanks for all of the responses. They are very helpful. Sounds like I might need to look into upgrading the controller. I don't have auto pilot, spot lock or anything like that. Looks like with the ipilot you just control the motor with a remote control? Anyone know if you need any adapters or anything to plug into the existing motor?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Ipilot upgrade was around $450 when I did it some 5-6 years ago. It requires the clipping of wires and replacement of hardware in the motor's head.

While you may be able to do it if you have some electrical skills, I would strongly recommend letting the Minnkota guy do it. He did mine while I stood there, took about 30 minutes for him as he knew how to do it.

2901 Memorial Hwy #4
Mandan, North Dakota 58554
Phone: 701-471-9071

I think his name is Algeron. Or something like that.

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You can get into a co-pilot for much less $ than an Ipilot. I'd probably go that direction especially with the age of the motor. I believe I saw a guy on another site selling a brand new co-pilot for $100.
Thanks for all of the responses. They are very helpful. Sounds like I might need to look into upgrading the controller. I don't have auto pilot, spot lock or anything like that. Looks like with the ipilot you just control the motor with a remote control? Anyone know if you need any adapters or anything to plug into the existing motor?

jmkilber

Scheels does repair them. If you think it's the footpedal I have one I'd let go for cheap.

Hey Eric, does yours have the flat plug? If so, I would be interested in your foot pedal.

Timbuk-2

Founding Member
Founding Member
I converted a power drive v2 to the I-piolet myself. It's not a complicated operation.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Take a plyers and tighten the wing nuts on the battery. Trust me and don't ask how I know! Hand tightened until it hurt, not good enough. If that's not it and it's a 24 cold, check the jumper in the main plug. That's another don't ask how I know, lol.

JUSTWINGNIT

Founding Member
Founding Member
In all honesty I have had problems like this before. It turned out to be the little circuit breaker/overload protection that was connected to the battery. 10 dollar fix and was good to go!

rmiller

As a 5 plus year removed factory certified minnkota trolling motor technician(not to toot my own horn) It is most likely the foot pedal but do check all connections and voltage at the plug. Something else to think about is that they (minnkota) are phasing out the older powerdrive ie. not V2 the guy at scheels in Bismarck told me this. Minnkota's trick is to stop making the foot pedal and other parts and let them die off naturally. Might want to think about upgrading and not sticking $70 into a pedal or $100 into a co pilot for a motor that is going to be obsolete in a few years. Just my 2 cents

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 115
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69