Deer Feeders

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I am curious what everyone does for deer feeders.

I built a couple setups a few years ago. I bought electronic spreaders similar to the pic below:
61dc7t+2-3L._AC_UL320_SR224,320_.jpg

I was able to get a few 50 gallon plastic barrels. I would attach one of the spreaders to the bottom of the barrel. I upgraded to the rechargeable batteries, and added solar panel chargers. I slapped on some 2x4 legs, speared on the ends, and called it good.

They work really well. The barrels hold enough feed to cover a month+. I have them spread twice a day, timed once at daybreak and once about a 1/2 hour before sunset.

I think the spreading of the feed allows a guy to use less feed, and keeps the deer in the spot longer. In addition, I believe that after awhile, once the deer get used to the sound of the feeders, that sound will almost call them in.

My brother uses any old tubs he can find, and cuts a little notch out of one of the bottom edges, allowing the deer to nibble the feed out.

Curious what everyone uses, and any other ideas for maximizing.

Putz ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only one I've had success with long term is the boss buck products. I bought from bass pro

hardwaterdriller

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have used both a electric feeder under a tin garbage can that is elevated a few feet and some PVC feeders. The electric feeder is still going after 5+ years sitting outdoors with a solar panel. Every fall it surprises me and still working and electric timer is going. Think I have replaced the battery once. Just have to add some corn and away it goes.
The PVC feeders look like this. Just screw or strap them to a tree and easy to fill. Pheasants like them too.
feeder.jpg

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had great luck with my moultrie feeders I bought around 6-7 years ago. They're all still kickin out feed just fine with a fresh battery. I've tried just a plain old 32 gallon plastic trash can/lid with a few small holes cut near the bottom and they're ok but after a month or so the deer make them holes I cut huge then they go through the feed like crazy.

b52beaver

Founding Member
Founding Member
does anyone buy corn by the bushel? by the bag gets expensive by November. if so where

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought several 2 ton tote bags off of Bisman. Then found a farmer who rolls his own cracked corn.

With the way this year is going though, good luck finding a farmer who will sell any feed... Strictly for feeding my chickens and guineas.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
does anyone buy corn by the bushel? by the bag gets expensive by November. if so where

Take your pickup to any elevator and fill up the bed, corn isn't worth shit right now and most elevators have some less than great corn just waiting to be blended off with new stuff. Not sure what they'll charge you but it has to be cheaper than buying a bag of the worthless stuff that is cracked anyway, what a marketing scam buying bagged corn is.

Putz ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
Showing my true colors here, bought a gravity wagon and cruise that into the elevator....

despite all my "cheating" according to the purists, I have enough unused bow tags to wall-paper most bathrooms. I've only punched one in the last 9 years...

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Kid says we are feeding deer not cows, so he get on my case for not just putting some feed on ground.

use banks gravity feeder. Box with four tubes. Works great and no coons

corn at elevator for me is 3.25 per bushel. Get about 10-15 each time.

But plot is coming great even with hail and kale is about 1/2" tall. Sweet peas look good as corn and soybeans. However that is it for sweet blue lupine. Will not grow in my soil. Db

Putz ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also - careful with the pickup idea...embarrassing, but I've had my share of bad luck here. A few years back, the fall harvest was really slow because it was so wet, I thought it would be a good idea to drive my pickup out to a farmer friend and he could fill it right out of the grain cart. Well, that 22" auger opened up and splash, the operator hit the dead center of the box perfectly. What I hadn't calculated was the additional weight of 28-30% corn moisture, it took my pickup (ram 2500 Cummings with like 20,000 miles) and bent the frame in a u. It was still driveable, but I always got flashed by incoming traffic thinking I had my brights on until I traded that thing. Moral of the story - box volume usually exceeds box capacity, so beware!!! Lol

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I do put soybean meal in to get protein up along with some attractent. Db

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where I live and bow hunt there are so many bait piles it is like a giant buffet for the deer so you need to use something that no one else is. I won't tell you what I use but I can tell you that deer like pineapple

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also - careful with the pickup idea...embarrassing, but I've had my share of bad luck here. A few years back, the fall harvest was really slow because it was so wet, I thought it would be a good idea to drive my pickup out to a farmer friend and he could fill it right out of the grain cart. Well, that 22" auger opened up and splash, the operator hit the dead center of the box perfectly. What I hadn't calculated was the additional weight of 28-30% corn moisture, it took my pickup (ram 2500 Cummings with like 20,000 miles) and bent the frame in a u. It was still driveable, but I always got flashed by incoming traffic thinking I had my brights on until I traded that thing. Moral of the story - box volume usually exceeds box capacity, so beware!!! Lol

Oh hell, yeah that would be a bad deal, I use an old gravel truck for my "corn mishaps" or just take a gravity box and have an accident 200 yards away from one of my blinds.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Late fall pumpkins and squash will work. Just break them open a little. Deer were stealing them out of my garden, grabbing them by the stem and taking them to the shelterbelt to eat.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I just picked up 2 more plastic drums, and bought 2 more feeder mechanisms. I will be building 2 more feeders this weekend. I have a pile of pumpkins growing in the garden too. Now, to find some excess apples.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I got all the apples you want. To bad we live in opposite corners of state.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just picked up 2 more plastic drums, and bought 2 more feeder mechanisms. I will be building 2 more feeders this weekend. I have a pile of pumpkins growing in the garden too. Now, to find some excess apples.

Post a couple pictures of your feeders you build, if you don't mind

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 114
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73