air cooker?

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife says she wants an "air cooker" instead of using a deep fat fryer. Can someone clue me in on this, how it works and maybe what brand, where to find one? thanks

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
We bought 1 a couple months ago and love it. Think convection oven but on a smaller scale. I've used it for chicken tenders, pheasent strips, fries, tater tots etc... They can be had at walmart, shopko, probably target, kmart. any stores like that should have them. They are very handy and make food much more healthy. I can cook chicken breasts in about 22 minutes with ours.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
652185206311.jpg

My girlfriend has one similar to the above and she loves it. Pizza and just about anything else can be cooked in it.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have played around with one for the past year. Absolutely great (probably the best method) for the items you find in the frozen section of the grocery store that you would normally bake or fry... Onion Rings, Fries, Egg Rolls, Tator Tots, Pizza Rolls, Chicken Nuggets/Fingers etc. I think these items work so well because there is already oil in the existing breading or preparation of the item. So the air fryer just uses that oil to heat and create the crisp you normally get with frying.

You can cook anything else you want in them as well, however I wouldn't put it as the best or preferred method. I have done walleye with different shorelunch type of breading and its OK. Better than baking, not the same or as good as deep frying, however I am sure healthier and id still eat it the same. I am still experimenting. Best I have found is spraying the items with avocado oil spray a few times during the process. It seems that oil holds up to high temps better than most.

Its kind of ironic because they market these air fryers as the healthy alternative, but in my case it probably has made my diet less healthy. The speed and ease of cooking the items listed above has increased the amount I consume over the course of the year. In the past I just never bought those items cause they are no good soggy and I am not going to break out a deep fryer to cook them.

Last edited:

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have played around with one for the past year. Absolutely great (probably the best method) for the items you find in the frozen section of the grocery store that you would normally bake or fry... Onion Rings, Fries, Egg Rolls, Tator Tots, Pizza Rolls, Chicken Nuggets/Fingers etc. I think these items work so well because there is already oil in the existing breading or preparation of the item. So the air fryer just uses that oil to heat and create the crisp you normally get with frying.

You can cook anything else you want in them as well, however I wouldn't put it as the best or preferred method. I have done walleye with different shorelunch type of breading and its OK. Better than baking, not the same or as good as deep frying, however I am sure healthier and id still eat it the same. I am still experimenting. Best I have found is spraying the items with avocado oil spray a few times during the process. It seems that oil holds up to high temps better than most.

Good tip on the avocado oil. I haven't tried anything breaded yet. Figured it might be kinda dry if not done right. Have you tried some high quality coconut oil at all?

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good tip on the avocado oil. I haven't tried anything breaded yet. Figured it might be kinda dry if not done right. Have you tried some high quality coconut oil at all?

I have, (not sure on the high quality part). I just purchased whatever Walmart had for alternative oil in spray bottles where the ingredient list was only the specific oil (no propellant). For some reason the coconut oil seemed to evaporate/smoke off a bit more or just didn't go as far in the crisping department as the avocado. Its also high in fat so didn't think it was adding to the healthy alternative route.

With all the avocado, olive, and coconut sprays I tried I probably went to light with the spraying and would have achieved a better crisp with more oil.

NG3067

★★ Legendary Member
I would not buy a TFAL, what an over priced POS. I think my wife paid $150 plus for it, and it has a stirring mechanism that destroys any delicate item you place in it. TFAL does make a basket for delicate items so I bought one for a mere $25, plus shipping, and used it exactly once before the handle on that broke off. It cooks things great, but I think a cheap one would do so as well.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
My folks bought a small one last summer for frying fish. It'll only do a few pieces at a time as that's all they make, but it turns out dam good without the oil mess and smell. I'm not sure the brand, but knowing the purchaser, it most likely came off of QVC.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
652185206311.jpg

My girlfriend has one similar to the above and she loves it. Pizza and just about anything else can be cooked in it.

We have one too, and they really work good. Frozen pork chops in about 20 mins. Browned very nice and juicy inside.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
There pretty easy to clean up. Just spray Pam on the racks and on the bottom drip pan and they rinse clean.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Google Power Air Fryer / Oven. Watche'd that infomercial last week just haven't pulled trigger yet. Kinda leaning oven

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wanted to give an update on a process that has been the best to date:

Preheat air fryer to 400F

1.) dry fish chunks rolled in preferred shore lunch mix
2.) dipped in egg wash
3.) rolled in shore lunch again
4.) spray air fryer basket with avocado oil
5.) generously spray all surface area of breaded fish chunks with avocado oil (they should look wet)
6.) put in 400F air fryer and cook for 9 minutes total, flip at the 4 minute mark

This gave me a result real close to deep frying. I placed the air fryer right under the range hood so it didn't stink up the house. I have no idea how much healthier this is than deep frying with peanut oil, however it kept oil use to bare minimum and didn't stink up the house.

617KsAX0YFL__SY679_.jpg

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82