Locked up deer.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I see there is another report of a buck dragging another bucks head around. Last one found on Red river and a guy got them apart with pictures to prove it. Cause???? My thoughts are that the live buck got through a fence but could not drag the dead buck through and moving head side to side on some barbed wire would cut the head off the dead buck. What you think?????

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got this from a Texas boy that sees lots of this type of thing. The live buck can't drag another buck around very far. He doesn't have the strength left. Typically the coyotes come in and start to eat the dead buck and work their way foreword. The live buck can kick the coyotes away so they go for the easy meal first. When they get the back half or so of the dead buck eaten and the guts out, the live buck can usually move around better and the shoulders, ribs, and the spine dry up and fall away or get caught in fences/trees and get ripped away until the head is the only thing left. Sounds legit to me, though I can never quite figure out why the yotes don't kill the live buck and then eat both.

rodcontrol

Founding Member
Founding Member
When one well placed kick can mean life or death for the coyote, I also would leave the live deer alone unless I was starving.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
the living buck in this story had the back end had been chewed on also.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75