Hot Air Fryers

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
Anyone have any experience with hot air fryers? Are they worth the space they take up on your counter? Mainly interested in how they cook fish. I'm assuming it's a given they can do fries, tots, nuggets.....all the good stuff for the kids.

Any suggestions on brand/make/model.

On a lighter note,I'm impartial if it has sparkles or no sparkles!!

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m also interested in learning more about these. My deep fryer is a pain in the ass to clean. Are these any easier?

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Air Fryers are super easy to clean... It takes all of about 10 seconds to clean the one we have. I haven't cooked fish in ours yet, but I have done all the usual goodies including wings, tots, fries etc. and it works fricken awesome.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
A friend let me try his. It works but I wasn't that impressed. It takes a lot longer to cook and his was so small that it didn't work well to feed multiple people at once. I can see it being ok for one person. The food is ok, not greasy, but doesn't have the flavor like when you deep fry. I'd think a convection oven would do it just as well and you'd be able to put more food in a convection oven at one time.

hoytslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
theyre simply awesome. no grease. no mess. and I think it doesn't taste much different at all from when it comes out of the deepfryer. do have to agree that they could be a little bigger though.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I change oil - but never clean my deep fryer. Screw that nasty coagulated epoxy gunk. Buy a new one every five years or so. Sits in the porch 365 days/year ready to go.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
Air fryers are awesome I bought the wife one for Xmas we use it almost daily the only thing I use the grease fryer for any more is walleye I got the air oven it can cook plenty for my family of 5

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
Air Fryers are super easy to clean... It takes all of about 10 seconds to clean the one we have. I haven't cooked fish in ours yet, but I have done all the usual goodies including wings, tots, fries etc. and it works fricken awesome.

Petras --- That's all I needed to hear. what kind do you have? Too many brands to pick from with too many reviews -- pros/cons.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
My girlfriend has one of those glass domed versions. It works great for bacon, what more do you need?

Also does well for chicken if you're on a diet.

WT2121

Founding Member
Founding Member
We tried it with walleye and it sucked! Does a nice job with fries, tator tots and onion rings though.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
My mom has one and it’s a pretty slick unit. Haven’t tried fish but can’t see why it wouldn’t work good for that. I’ve been looking for a sparkly one. Figuring it will help me cook more fish that way.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Petras --- That's all I needed to hear. what kind do you have? Too many brands to pick from with too many reviews -- pros/cons.

I don't remember off the top of my head which one we have. I know my wife picked it up at shopko here in Stanley so I can't imagine it is the highest of quality unit out there, but it works great. The only con I have for it is that It would be nice if it had a bigger basket maybe with a divider in it so you could cook multiple things at once yet keep them separate. If I had it to do over I would tell her to find one that's just a bit bigger. That is my only complaint. Maybe on these days off I'll try making up some walleye in it to see how it turns out.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My girlfriend has one of those glass domed versions. It works great for bacon, what more do you need?

Also does well for chicken if you're on a diet.
Same with ours works great with bacon and chicken and potatoes, not so much with fish.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I posted this on the other air fryer thread, but the process for fish that I have found to be the best:

Preheat air fryer to 400F

1.) dry fish chunks rolled in preferred shore lunch mix
2.) dipped in egg wash
3.) rolled in shore lunch again
4.) spray air fryer basket with avocado oil
5.) generously spray all surface area of breaded fish chunks with avocado oil (they should look wet)
6.) put in 400F air fryer and cook for 9 minutes total, flip at the 4 minute mark

This gave me a result real close to deep frying. I placed the air fryer right under the range hood so it didn't stink up the house. I have no idea how much healthier this is than deep frying with peanut oil, however it kept oil use to bare minimum and didn't stink up the house.

617KsAX0YFL__SY679_.jpg

Personally, Ill probably continue to use and tweak this method when only cooking for 1-2 people.

Any larger gathering and the traditional deep fry on the propane cooker will be used.

Last edited:

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We purchased a Nuwave 6 quart basket air fryer. I had to go online and bought a rack accessories kit. We have enjoyed cooking in our. It is great for fries, wings or cooking salmon on foil. I tried fish, but have not mastered that yet. I did cook some asparagus on the rack with the salmon underneath and it turned out great. The key is with the breading like the breadcrumbs or pandora. You do need to spray it so it crisps the pieces. Shrimpwas awesome.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Air fryers are awesome I bought the wife one for Xmas we use it almost daily the only thing I use the grease fryer for any more is walleye I got the air oven it can cook plenty for my family of 5

My only comment on this is, how did it go over with the wife by buying one for her for Christmas? haha

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I change oil - but never clean my deep fryer. Screw that nasty coagulated epoxy gunk. Buy a new one every five years or so. Sits in the porch 365 days/year ready to go.

by the way I never filter the oil or store it other than let it sit there in the fryer with the lid on. I top it off with new when it drops below the full line. To my surprise flies don't have any attraction to it. I also drain my frying pan grease into it (from indoor frying of chicken, etc.)

About four times a year I heat it up, stir the black gunk up off the bottom, dump the oil in a hole in the ground (in a shady place), wipe it out quick with a paper towel, and then refill with new vegetable oil (cheapest I can find)

I was leery about this model but now I love it
516iNMJ%2BosL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

the heater element drops into the grease for direct heating of grease, along with the basket.

When it comes time to deal with old grease I heat it up, remove basket and heating element (you can just see it dropping into oil at bottom of controls), then all you have left is a pan with grease.

I stir that up and then just carry that outside wearing gloves to deal with it (after it's cooled to non-lethal temps) - everything else involved with the unit just stays in the porch on newspaper or whatever. Later I bring the "cleaned" pan back in, drop it into cooker body, then drop the basket and heater element back in, fill er up with oil - done

- - - Updated - - -

611890i_ts.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

this pic is not the actual model but it does show the exploded view

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109