Rigging a Winnipeg Rod/necessities

tommygun23

Established Member
I’m sure this has been discussed before but this will be my first ever trip up north. Looking for suggestions on line pertaining to braid and fluorocarbon and what poundage is the best to use together. I have a couple rods I think may work, a Thorne bros perch sweetheart(which I have landed fairly large fish with before) and an older frabill that seems fairly stiffer. Am I okay to use suffix 832 8lb and tie some flouro on as I already have a reel that would work? Any suggestions would be helpful as far as lures and such. And possibly things to not leave home with out.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a 32" medium heavy rod and 10# fireline tied direct to a quality snap swivel. IMO, no need for a fluoro leader.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a tuned up customs commander rod with a pflueger supreme xt reel for jigging big rattle baits and big spoons, you want a good heavy backbone and a fast tip. For a dead stick any rod should work just slip bobber it. for line i run 8 to 10lb suffix 838 braid or same lb power pro to a 8lb floro leader. I use that same line setup on all my rods for walleye and will downsize for perch/gills

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Flouro leader can be helpful with abrasions from fish and from the ice and will hold up better than the braid. You can also tie it as long as the ice is thick so you know when you are at the bottom of the hole. Make sure your rods have good backbone which is more important than them being longer. I like the fenwick acetos for all my fishing.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Flouro leader can be helpful with abrasions from fish and from the ice and will hold up better than the braid. You can also tie it as long as the ice is thick so you know when you are at the bottom of the hole. Make sure your rods have good backbone which is more important than them being longer. I like the fenwick acetos for all my fishing.
I tie on an extra bobber stop about a foot farther up from the lure, than the ice is thick so you know when the fish is about to turn up......

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
my floro leader is always twice as long as my rod so as soon as the knot touches the eyes on my rod I know the fish is at the bottom of the hole or close (34" rods)

Harris

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your going to be fishing any larger baits up there I wouldn’t use the perch sweetheart. With the barbless hooks a longer rod will help keep pressure on the fish I would go with 32” minimum. 8-10 lb braid will work just fine. I like having a flouro leader, I run it slightly longer than the thickness of the ice.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does any one know what the penalties are for using barbed hooks .....do you you guys buy barbless hooks and switch them out or is pinching them ok?

HammsRMK

Honored Member
$75, not sure if that is per hook though, and that is if it is tied on a rod. If you don't use a lure don't pinch it.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
its $25 per barb... so $75 per treble hook, $150 per rattle bait (most of them) or $75 on most spoons... and you can pitch them, if you can get your fingernail to catch the barb it counts as a barbed hook

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
You also need DH cutom's snootie patooties....or maybe its cutie patootie...I dunno, its pink, and i see a dozen pics on instagram a day with em hangin outta greenback mouths.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not to hijack the post but what are everyones go to lures for up there? obviously besides mrs. patooties..
mine goes,

1. golden shiner Live Target
2. Northland Live forage rippin shad
3. plain old 3/8 chartreuse jig tiped with a minnow. (usually deadstick)

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
snootie patootie
live target
big spoons like pelican and JR's

all tipped with a salty or a cokey

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
its $25 per barb... so $75 per treble hook, $150 per rattle bait (most of them) or $75 on most spoons... and you can pitch them, if you can get your fingernail to catch the barb it counts as a barbed hook

Just cut your lure off if you see a warden. Losing $10 is better than $150. They break off all the time anyways!

NM 24

Founding Member
Founding Member
[FONT=&quot]Best day I had was a couple years ago, biggest three caught averaging about 10#. Except for that day I usually get bit the least in our group probably, however. Used Fenwick Ice Elite Tech medium 27 inch (including handle) rod and 6 lb. Fireline braid and a bit heavier # test fluoro leader with medium sized rattlebaits, it seemed to work OK taking it easy and got by. A bit longer/maybe heavier rod is probably better and for heavier lures, and a bit heavier line would probably be better as well, some above have recommended 8-10# braid. I have a couple bit heavier rods now but still use the medium at times. Fused braid may ice up slightly less/slower than other braid. I don't know if the flouro leader is really necessary, but with amount of water clarity, reasons described above along with stiffer fluoro leader may help at times preventing some tangles with lure you may choose to use one. It it nice to know when fish is getting close to bottom of the ice. Some like to use a swivel between braid and leader, if using swivel combination of long leader and shorter rod can make icing fish a bit more difficult if by yourself while on knees. Just happened to be using the underspin reel that day... Doesn't look like I will make it up there this year... Second Scrot's vote about the Northland Rippin Shads.

nodak ang 20140313_165140.jpg
[/FONT]

Founding Member
Founding Member
not to hijack the post but what are everyones go to lures for up there? Obviously besides mrs. Patooties..
Mine goes,

1. Golden shiner live target
2. Northland live forage rippin shad
3. Plain old 3/8 chartreuse jig tiped with a minnow. (usually deadstick)

bingo

NM 24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keeping in mind the concept of letting the fish tell you what they want I would say I have had better luck on the medium ripping shad but that might be just cuz I used it more than the large. I haven't seen the live forage Rippin Shads for sale for a while now not that I think the specific paint job is all that important.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not to hijack the post but what are everyones go to lures for up there? obviously besides mrs. patooties..
mine goes,

1. golden shiner Live Target
2. Northland Live forage rippin shad
3. plain old 3/8 chartreuse jig tiped with a minnow. (usually deadstick)

What color live target do you guys use? Any specific size?

I have been stocking up on the northland rippin shads now before they get picked over.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 76