Cancel your Scheels Card

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
First National Bank of Omaha, the bank that acts as custodian for the Scheels Visa card, has announced that they’re ending their affiliation with the NRA. Cuz guns. I cancelled my Scheels Card this morning. I’ll open a new one when Steve Scheel finds a new bank. I’ll be contacting Scheels to let them know.

...and don’t be a jerk about it. Everyone affiliated with Scheels is on our side.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
they got blindsided by the bank's NRA separation - they're fielding lots of calls today and are working to figure out what to do next

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think it is fair to Scheels to just immediately cancel their card. They did get blindsided by this and I just sent them a message, through their web site, giving them 30 days to figure things out before I do cancel my card. I look forward to hearing their response.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
If anyone wants to pay off my debt on my scheels card I will gladly cancel it!

You can cancel it even if you have an existing balance. Just continue paying down the balance.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think it is fair to Scheels to just immediately cancel their card. They did get blindsided by this and I just sent them a message, through their web site, giving them 30 days to figure things out before I do cancel my card. I look forward to hearing their response.

You’re right, it’s not fair to Scheels that a business partner made a bad decision that will cost them money. It’s not the first time such a thing has happened and won’t be the last. But, cancelling the card and threatening to cancel send different impressions.

I let Scheels know that I’ll open a new card with them when they find a new bank that doesn’t hate their customers.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
But like was said pull back on the throttle there a little bit and at least give them a second to get things figured out. Can't expect them to just switch banks in a matter of hours after they got caught off guard themselves.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Make a decision, then do. Or do not. Don't say you're gonna, then not follow through.

See NFL thread about kneeling.

Fordboy

If you cancel your credit card do they send you a gift card for your remaining reward points? If your sitting at say 2000 points do you get a $20 card or just loose it. Is that money that FNBO gets to keep?

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I assume I’ve forfeited my points balance.

I emailed Scheels and they got back to me pretty quickly. Here’s the response:

Thank you for contacting Scheels. Scheels was unaware of the stance First National Bank of Omaha took with the NRA Card. We are investigating the details and will look at alternatives once we know more.

Have a great day,
Thank you

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have to wait and see, I do like the Scheels card, the dam news media is really screwing things up, and I think it's going to get bad

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
I assume I’ve forfeited my points balance.

I emailed Scheels and they got back to me pretty quickly. Here’s the response:

Thank you for contacting Scheels. Scheels was unaware of the stance First National Bank of Omaha took with the NRA Card. We are investigating the details and will look at alternatives once we know more.

Have a great day,
Thank you

I received the same response, word for word.

Is Cabelas the best alternative credit card if Scheels does in fact drop the ball on this?

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I admit i have let my NRA membership lapse a few years ago. After witnessing this last week how the media is trying to demonize the NRA and its members i joined again today. This fall is a very important election, from maintaining our gun rights to the Dems possibly picking up enough votes to impeach the President.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Browneye same here. I joined for three years then a year later they tell me I am due to pay up again. I didn't save any slips to prove it so just didn't pay dues for five or six years. I don't like their online magazine but will join again just to support them.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I left the same message this morning that they have 30 days or I will cancel my card

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I let them know if they don't correct I will cancel and this will open me up to shopping elsewhere without the CC incentive. I also gave the 30 days but will definitely follow thru in no solution at that time
dukgnfns

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our Scheels card bill says First Bank, not First National Bank. So is this really Scheels card bank?

The last few paragraphs from the article I read:

First National, through its First Bankcard subsidiary, does branded Visa credit cards for a number of businesses, including Scheels and Best Western hotels.

First National did not say when the contract will end or how long it has had a relationship with the NRA. However, the website for the NRA-themed credit card was disabled as of Thursday.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm inclined to give Scheels a little time to find an alternative. With thousands of Scheels cards in existence it's certainly not an overnight solution for them. Think about the logistics of finding another bank and then reissuing the thousands of new cards. I find it difficult to place any blame on Scheels for the actions of a bank they do not control.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62