time to pay the nc2a athletes???

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
not gonna post links as you can go to your favorite sites and read till your eyes bleed already - and it's only gonna get worse/more... this whole thing is blowing up - fast...

these major schools r making hundreds of millions trading television rights for 100k educations - and apparently paying amateur athletes $$$...

where do you stand??? i could b persuaded either way at this point, but realize lots of people make a pretty nice living posting u-tube vids with little or no talent...

convince me - one way or the other...

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are getting paid with a free education. How is this much different than when someone has to do an internship, most interns pay to work for someone without getting any compensation

dirtybirds14

Founding Member
Founding Member
All for paying college players, but how would you decide what each player receives? These big schools have millions of dollars coming in and other school struggle just to break even at the end of the year. That's the toughest thing when trying to break down paying college athletes IMO. If one school/conference is able to pay players more it would just make college sports the same as pro sports and that would suck!!!

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm with most that college athletes should be paid with a scholarship. However, that is probably a fairy tale ideal at this point for the largest 40-50 schools. It's hard to argue that the athletes shouldn't be paid when the coaches and administrators are making millions.

Not sure how to fix it - most of the problems seem to be in basketball. The NBA loves having the free minor league for them, I think that's one way this could be alleviated - allow the kids to go pro right out of high school and force the NBA to develop them.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Zoops, you’re spot on. The one and done season that the nba forces down the throat of the ncaa is what’s creating the money for these schools. In my opinion, they’re getting 50-100k in free education. They’re getting paid fairly just with that. Along with that, they have access to tutors, food and clothing that the normal student doesn’t get. They’re choosing to play in a system that makes their school millions. No one is forcing them to play.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Zoops, you’re spot on. The one and done season that the nba forces down the throat of the ncaa is what’s creating the money for these schools. In my opinion, they’re getting 50-100k in free education. They’re getting paid fairly just with that. Along with that, they have access to tutors, food and clothing that the normal student doesn’t get. They’re choosing to play in a system that makes their school millions. No one is forcing them to play.

Problem is they don't have much for other options since the NBA won't let them in until they're 19.

Pay the players and take away the scholarship?

Seems easy enough; what's the limit though? It's about to the point where the big-time schools should just be in their own division and allowed to do whatever they want as it's basically like that now anyway. I really don't see a reason that 18-22 year-olds shouldn't be able to make some money off of their talents when their coaches are millionaires many times over, other than tradition saying they shouldn't. Even so, it wouldn't totally eliminate agents/overzealous boosters/homeboys trying to entice these guys to partner with them (and make millions in the process).

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
How about using those billions of $$$ the school makes for athletics and lower tuition for everyone rather than increasing salaries of administrators? Ya, that’ll work. Big education is the biggest scam going.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
College is a place to get an education and is not meant to be a job. By paying athletes you would be subsidizing those payments with tax payers dollars at many universities. Sports should not be of such high importance compared to the education. Free scholarships is enough compensation.

No one is making them play college sports.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
The costs of an education are already astronomically high. If you add salaries for athletes, how is that going to affect the rank and file of the student body with regards to activity fees. Not to mention the increases in other expenses assigned to non-athletes to support an overblown athletics department. There are NO athletic requirements for colleges and universities when it comes to staying colleges and universities. There ARE however, academic requirements for universities and colleges to maintain their accreditation and keep their educational programs viable. I think we are losing focus on what colleges and universities are there for and it's NOT to produce the next flash in the pan jersey jock. They are there to educate and prepare the next generations of people to function and maintain our society. If athletics are to be a salaried activity, then it should be separated from the school and run as a semi pro team like the minor leagues and supported by funds other than fees paid by the rest of the student body. I think it's a mistake to take funds that could be used to improve science, mathematics, engineering, physics, and other academic programs and put them into the pockets of athletes where 99% won't make the pros and will then most likely be put into the workforce with diminished educational abilities. It's NOT a good thing for the athletes who now don't compare well with non-athletic students who focused on their education and it's NOT good for the non-athletic students who have to pay for it through a larger student debt.

Last edited:

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Student athletes are already being paid, not only thru tuition and room and board but they also can be given a stipend to cover full cost of attendance which includes spending money which non athletes would make thru a part time job. I do think the larger profile programs have gotten out of control with athletics and there is corruption whenever you are dealing with multi million dollars. There will always be those who break the rules to gain an advantage and paying student athletes is not the answer. There will still be those who feel the need to pay more or skirt the rules other ways. The real problem with the NCAA is there lack of enforcement and punishments are a complete joke.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Agree with ^^^^^. Students can and do receive stipends as well as scholarships. Most college sports teams lose money during the year and rely on boosters to balance the books. As far as schools not making any money on sports teams it depends on how you look at that statement. Here in ND it's not hard to find a student who wants to attend UND because they can watch hockey, or attend NDSU because of the football program. So yes, there are student who attend specific schools because of their favorite college sports team, not because of the education provided.

In the most recent articles I've read about the current problem with NCAA BB it appeared to me that biggest problems are not within the school but with agents who are providing outside income to players and parents in order to become the professional agent in the future. Perhaps some coaches knew of the payments but not necessarily all of them. A lot of these athletes come from low-income families and imagine the difficulty saying no to a big payment from someone if they will agree to letting them represent them when they become pro. They only care about themselves and their families. A 4-year education doesn't mean much if you can sign a multi-million $ contract after a year or so of college BB. Who of us would say no to that deal. Think of the sprarkly boat we could buy with some of the money these young athletes are in line to make.

The rules will change. Many of us can remember when no athlete was allowed to sign a professional contract until after their age-group had graduated from college.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Let them sign with an agent out of high school, agents pay the players, require an associates degree to be eligible for draft. The associates degree should focus on schooling generals and financial management.

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member
How bout we move athletics off campus, they survive on their own, get off the student and taxpayer subsidies. The whole system is corrupt already and beyond repair, corrupt coaches making millions. Its a joke. Read the book "The System".

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
The costs of an education are already astronomically high. If you add salaries for athletes, how is that going to affect the rank and file of the student body with regards to activity fees. Not to mention the increases in other expenses assigned to non-athletes to support an overblown athletics department. There are NO athletic requirements for colleges and universities when it comes to staying colleges and universities. There ARE however, academic requirements for universities and colleges to maintain their accreditation and keep their educational programs viable. I think we are losing focus on what colleges and universities are there for and it's NOT to produce the next flash in the pan jersey jock. They are there to educate and prepare the next generations of people to function and maintain our society. If athletics are to be a salaried activity, then it should be separated from the school and run as a semi pro team like the minor leagues and supported by funds other than fees paid by the rest of the student body. I think it's a mistake to take funds that could be used to improve science, mathematics, engineering, physics, and other academic programs and put them into the pockets of athletes where 99% won't make the pros and will then most likely be put into the workforce with diminished educational abilities. It's NOT a good thing for the athletes who now don't compare well with non-athletic students who focused on their education and it's NOT good for the non-athletic students who have to pay for it through a larger student debt.

Thank you.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't follow basketball or much for college sports. Sounds like there needs to be a shuffling of regulation. NBA needs to eliminate any requirement of college and some company (NBA, NCAA, Vince McMahon) needs to form a development league. Their needs to be a place for the 18 yo adults who make the adult decision to want to make money off of playing the game vs getting an education. Right now they don't have a choice.

Colleges and Universities purpose is education. If they want to include sports in their programs they need to start capping budgets and salaries of coaches and more regulation on the money that is made off of the program (ticket sales, TV contracts, Merchandise, etc.) Most programs wont have that problem. But no educational institution or staff of that institution should be making millions off of non paid athletes.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I agree with a lot of what you guys are saying. I would've loved a scholarship for college (my own fault for not doing well enough in high school) so it sucks to see the athletes getting scholarships that don't give 2 shits about the scholarship. The minute you start paying the college athletes cash, the whole works goes out the window. I work for a billion dollar company and the ceo makes 10+$million a year, doesn't mean my little ant ass should get paid millions, yet it is the ants that do most all the work. Colleges are a business.

I think its already been mentioned but, there is always a risk/reward calculation for cheating or breaking the rules. Only way to really put a stop to the cheating/rule breaking is to make the risk (fine/jail time/expulsion) much heavier than the reward. I bet if the fine for speeding was 1000$ for every 5mph over, everybody on the roads would go 3mph UNDER the limit.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 76