Which AR to buy?

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I am finally going to pull the trigger on an AR. Looking for some advice on which to buy? Mostly looking for something to ride in the truck when bow hunting or just shooting for fun. I don’t think I want to go down the building my own road yet though. I would like to stay under $800 if possible. Are the DPMS decent? They seem to be less expensive comparatively at Scheels. Any certain ones I should look at? Thanks.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check out nodak arms grunt rifle. $500 and would make a perfect truck gun. Think it even comes with a mag and soft case. I think they have a special at the Williston gun show this weekend too

Platinum

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've heard since DPMS was bought by Remington the quality has dropped. Now with Remington in the financial trouble they are in and being the parent company of DPMS, I would stay away from them until the dust settles....just my .02 cents.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Smith & Wesson M&P Sport II should do the trick. Great rifle for $450-500.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The Smith&Wesson is a good one, get rid of the 30 shot mag and get a couple of 10 shot Magpuls and your good to go

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is a good alternative to the short for my gorilla length arms for a longer stock over the 6 position one that is on my Smith M&P currently? I just can't get used to the shortness of it even in the fully extended position.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You might try a UTG A2 Stock, They are a little longer, It's all I use when I put a rifle together

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is a good alternative to the short for my gorilla length arms for a longer stock over the 6 position one that is on my Smith M&P currently? I just can't get used to the shortness of it even in the fully extended position.

Look into LuthAr stocks. They make a fixed stock that will slide over your existing buffer tube that won’t add a ton of weight or require a new buffer, buffer tube, and spring. Not sure how long it gets.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Smith & Wesson M&P Sport II should do the trick. Great rifle for $450-500.

You know what, I take it back. Look for an AR that has a mid-length or rifle-length gas system. It will be more reliable and recoil less. A nickel-boron bolt carrier group is also worth the extra $30 or so. They clean up much easier and tend to function more reliably if the bolt starts to get a little dry.

Here’s an excellent deal on a decent upper receiver that can be shipped right to your house:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...upper-with-nickel-boron-bcg-ch-516447379.html

You won’t be picking flees off field mice but it’ll work for plinking and coyotes. You can always swap the barrel later for $1-200 if you really want to.

You can purchase a complete lower receiver online but it has to be shipped to an FFL who can process the transfer (usually $20). If you’re unfamiliar with buying guns online, stop by a gunshop and ask, or just see if they have a complete lower receiver on hand for a couple hundred bucks. You usually don’t need to have an upper and lower that are the same brand because the dimensions are universal. (This is NOT true of large frame ARs in 308, 243, 6.5 creedmoor, etc.)

I almost always buy separate uppers and lowers. It’s often cheaper than buying a complete rifle.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 77