Hybrid Retrievers

rodcontrol

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone on here own a GSP/Lab hybrid. I would think this could be the ultimate hunting dog for the Dakotas.

I have owned a GSP but wished she liked water a tad bit more. Also with our cold winters it would be nice to have an animal with a slightly thicker coat.

Looks like a kennel in Wessington SD has a breeding program. Anyone have experience with them??

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why wouldn't you just get a Wirehair, Griffon, Pudelpointer, or Munsterlander?

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
My neighbor has one (Haas). I can tell you he is a good highbred between the energy and hardheadedness for sure. Sucker is really tall and lanky with very short fine hair.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wanted a pointer that loves the cold and water and ended up with a Griffon. I get to pick her up in a week!

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have 2 griffons one for 8 years they are the ultimate north Dakota hunting dog in my opinion and the best family dog I've ever had I couldn't be happier and I'll never partner with any other breed

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pointing labs, Griffons etc. Not a big fan of crossbred dogs.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I should have worded it better.

Anyway my buddies lab learned to point by hunting with my Brit. Not real pretty but very effective.

Just checking. The way I read it it seemed like they were in tat category. Sorry.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want an all around dog, get a wirehair. My wirehair points and the couple times I have waterfowl hunted the last couple years she has had no problem at all swimming out for retrieves. Very little training involved with her also. Pretty much just the basics... sit, stay, come, heel, whoa, and leave it is pretty much all I've worked with her on and she does very well. I will say this, if I'm going upland bird hunting it helps to let her out a mile or two away from the spot I plan on hunting so she can burn off a bit of energy. After that she is very good.

I should also add that if you get a wirehair, make sure to look at pics of previous litters to make sure they are of the ugly dog type. My wirehair looks like a shorthair. In fact I've never had anyone say, "that's a beautiful wirehair", they always call her a shorthair.

Last edited:

rodcontrol

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where did you get your Wirehair?

If you want an all around dog, get a wirehair. My wirehair points and the couple times I have waterfowl hunted the last couple years she has had no problem at all swimming out for retrieves. Very little training involved with her also. Pretty much just the basics... sit, stay, come, heel, whoa, and leave it is pretty much all I've worked with her on and she does very well. I will say this, if I'm going upland bird hunting it helps to let her out a mile or two away from the spot I plan on hunting so she can burn off a bit of energy. After that she is very good.

I should also add that if you get a wirehair, make sure to look at pics of previous litters to make sure they are of the ugly dog type. My wirehair looks like a shorthair. In fact I've never had anyone say, "that's a beautiful wirehair", they always call her a shorthair.

WT2121

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just me but hybrid, does it include battery? Loved my GWP purebred! VonRamen bloodline that was great retriever and loved water as much as my brothers black lab. Maybe too much of purist but hybrid is a cross. GWP are actually developed through cross breeding. Opinion people are paying too much for hybrid dogs. Black Angus Herford cross is not worth much compared to registered Black Angus, Just saying. LOL

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Golden retriever/ Weimaraner cross. She doesn’t like the cold but it’s hard to keep her out of the water. Good upland dog and duck hunter when I actually get her out. Long luxurious tail too :)

07BF3D33-BBA3-4943-A867-1A58D176E84E.jpg

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Plenty of good dogs out there; this is basically a ford/chevy debate. Depends on how you like to hunt - If you're exclusively upland or waterfowl, if you hunt no matter the weather/snow amounts that would likely change your preference. If you spend time with it and get it on birds a lot, you'll probably be happy no matter what you get. If you ask around enough you'll hear of problems with all of them and you'll hear of people who wouldn't get any other breed.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We have a golden retriever and yellow lab mix. He is an awesome dog. Energy when you want it and not when you don't. Absolutely loves the water, the only reason I started duck hunting.
Also hunts upland very well too. He will point sometimes, and flush other times.
Also lets my boy, almost 2 years old, climb all over him and will not make a sound. Here he is about 4-5 months old.
3.jpg

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing wrong with the gsp/lab cross but I wouldn't fall for the best of both worlds marketing and pay big money for one. On a cross breed you can also get the worst qualities of both parents. If you want a dog/companion that will more than likely hunt good enough for most hunters with decent training sure a cross breed will do just fine. If you want the best of the best and be able to trace bloodlines and test results get a purebred griffon or pudelpointer would be my choice for a versatile dog.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Plenty of good dogs out there; this is basically a ford/chevy debate. Depends on how you like to hunt - If you're exclusively upland or waterfowl, if you hunt no matter the weather/snow amounts that would likely change your preference. If you spend time with it and get it on birds a lot, you'll probably be happy no matter what you get. If you ask around enough you'll hear of problems with all of them and you'll hear of people who wouldn't get any other breed.

This x 100! We all have our preferences! Find and pick a pup that suits you are your family and your hunting likes and not worry about anything else.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75