Waders

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are you guys using for youth waders? My boy seems to be a late bloomer. He's 12 and not overly tall. Yet he wears almost a 10 shoe. Do youth waders carry that size? If buy adult they'll be much to tall.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Youth waders seem to be a tough one. I know that most waders are sized by the boot size, so for me, they're always too tall. I don't know what kind of wading he is doing, but I find that I nearly never go in deeper than waist deep (on me, of course). Maybe consider wading pants?

Or stocking foot waders, which are much thinner and the top could be folded down, and you can get different sized wading boots.

I'm interested in this, because I have three kids, the oldest two of which, are about ready to try wading.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Neoprene stocking foot waders and wading shoes are the way to go IMO. Those waders don't pinch when folded down like canvas/rubber ones do and they can be totally reversed to dry out the inside of the wader. Additionally, I think they are easier to get on and off if I can roll them all the way down to the sock. Also, in a pinch, a child can use the larger foot size so it's a bit easier to do the hand me down thing as you aren't dependent on the boot size. Good Luck!!!

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was wondering about those too. But id like him to spring shore fish and waterfowl hunt with me. So staying warm for a child is important. Is neoprene the only warm type?

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was wondering about those too. But id like him to spring shore fish and waterfowl hunt with me. So staying warm for a child is important. Is neoprene the only warm type?

I was told that warmth has more to do with the clothing you wear underneath than the wader itself. I took a chance and bought thin breathables and I find this to be true. I wear them in very cold water, spring and fall and I seldom get cold. For max warmth wear long underwear (or whatever they are called these days) and fleece pants. My fingers get cold before anything else. I have wore stocking foot waders for 20 years and prefer them over a boot.

PS - when it comes to waders, JK is the expert. He buys several pairs each year. ;:;rofl

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Jaykay wears them out, getting dragged down the gravel river bank, trying to slow down stampeding walleyes.

its ok if you have bubbly guts. You are not alone. #metoo

- - - Updated - - -

south-park-s11e09c01-randy-takes-a-crap-16x9.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70