New bait caster

Feildhunter701

Founding Member
Founding Member
I broke down and bought a bait caster for pulling bottom bouncers and rigging. I've always been a spinnng rod guy. Normally with 10lb fire line. Just wondering what kind of line to run on this new reel. If I do put fire line on it. Dose it need mono backing???

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
It depends on the line capacity of the reel but no if it spoils up to the edge of the spool

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
If its one with a smaller spool then no. If you got a larger one then yes. I've always used bait casting reels for trolling bb only way to go IMO

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually put about 30 ft of mono or dacron backing to make sure it does not slip on the arbor. I may not have needed though.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually put about 30 ft of mono or dacron backing to make sure it does not slip on the arbor. I may not have needed though.

I tie my knot over the shaft, Gorilla Tape it in place and wind on the Power Pro.

Last edited:

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use some mono backing to prevent slip and fill the spool a bit. Even on smaller baitcasters a spool of fireline will only fill it half ways.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does it have holes in spool (to make spool lighter if so tie to otherwise use mono backing. Fill with 30lbs pwr pro.

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha. It's pflueger trion.. but I don't know what a Arbor is??

Arbor is the spool you wrap your line on. Another thing you need to do is to get the spool tension set. Don't forget like I did one day, rats nests are no fun.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I get tired of loosing bottom bouncing rigs so I run 30 lb Spiderwire. I have run it since the year it came out. Some of my line is years old. The infrared heater ate up some while ice fishing, but that's the only Achilles heel I have found for Spiderwire. I think they advertise 6lb diameter for the 30 lb line. Some of the super lines are flat and bind up in my reel.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I always have Dakota Tackle put mono backer on my Shimano bait casters. Cheaper than braided and help fill the spool up.

The_owl

Established Member
I’ve really got to liking Fireline Metered for using bottom bouncers with. Helps me be in more precise when you’re fishing spots with drop offs and larger breaks.

etoskunc

Personally for me I woudl be only outlaying my money on the R edition.

I have an alphas r edition and its great. I have a few baitcast reels that i use for bass the the r edition is one of the better. Super smooth and is a pleasure to use.

What size lures do you want to throw?

If you are after really light weigh lures then look at the Dawia Pixy.

Cheers

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 115
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73